Glock Talk banner

Glock 26 or Glock 36?

23K views 63 replies 42 participants last post by  markerbeacon 
#1 ·
As a EDC weapon, I can’t decide between a Glock 26 or the Glock 36. They are about the same size (give or take),but which would it be better to have 6+1 45( I like the stopping powder of the 45),or 10+1 9mm( the more shots the better).

#2 ·
Well, the first question I would have to ask is whether you want a 9mm or a .45?
Have you shot (or at least held) each. Although the may be of similar size, they do feel different.
I have owned both, and like them both. This is your personal choice.
Me personally, I would go with the 26 if I didn't own a 9mm for range time ($ for ammo). If I did already own a 9mm I would opt for the 36, just because I really like the .45 (see name).

#4 ·
I would go for the 26. I had the 36, but decided the 26 was better for me.

A better comparison is the 36 & 19. The 36 is almost identical in size as the Glock 19 (just a tad slimmer) but the Glock 19 holds 15 +1. That's over twice as many rounds as the 36.

It's an easy choice if you ask me.

#5 ·
I currently have both. I carry the 26 and am looking to sell the 36 or trade for a 17 to go with my 26 and 19. YMMV

#8 ·
I own both, but the 26 leaves the house much more often than the 36. No real reason that I can come up with, just habit I guess. In fact, the 36 is down right neglected through no fault of its own. I just picked up a Kahr K9, so we'll see if that changes my feelings on the 26 as well.

#11 ·
I'm not a big glock fan to start with, but I will admit I do like the G26 more than I used to. I first bought it because I got it from a friend at a great price and it was practically new. I think for a gun of it's size the 9mm round for me anyway is perfect for follow up shots should I need them. I like my 45 cal. pistols to be full size and made of steel. As in 1911's.

#12 ·
I have both. I like them both. I carry either of them. I feel comfortable, round wise, with either of them. The G26 is easier for me to conceal. Bottom line is whether you are comfortable with a 6 round magazine of .45 or a 10 round magazine of 9mm.

#13 ·
Take the better stopping power of the 45 for EDC, and 9mm for target practice and cheaper shooting at the range.
Wrong answer. Practice with what you carry. Any supposed advantage of the legendary .45 goes out the window if you're a good 9mm shooter but not a good .45 shooter.

#14 ·
Wrong answer. Practice with what you carry. Any supposed advantage of the legendary .45 goes out the window if you're a good 9mm shooter but not a good .45 shooter.
I agree. Plus 9mm SD ammo has come a LONG way over the past several years.

#15 ·
If the question is which to acquire, Glock 26 (3rd gen) all the way.

The 36 has a reputation for not living up to typical Glock reliability. Same with the 30SF. I think that reputation is there for a reason.

#17 ·

The 36 has a reputation for not living up to typical Glock reliability. Same with the 30SF. I think that reputation is there for a reason.
My 26 is the gen 4 and has been perfect. Don't shy away if you can't get a gen 3.

#18 ·
Out of the two I would take the G26. It is smaller, holds more rounds, and don't forget you can carry 15 or 17 round mags as reloads or tactical reloads if you get in a bad situation.

I like the .45 acp cartridge and my G21sf is one of my favorite handguns, but I am not into the limited capacity of the G36.

#20 ·
Have you shot a 36? Most people that shot mine did not like it. I got about the same response from it as I did people trying Underwood 10mm out of my 29, only difference was they said the wider grip didn't hurt their hand as bad.

I don't think anyone had said anything negative after shooting my 26.

#23 ·
Actually the 36 is closer to the 19 in size than the 26. And IMHO the difference in stopping power is minimal with the right ammo. Last I this considering the round count difference the 26 probably has more total stopping power than the 36.

Just my 2 cents

#26 ·

I do not know how true any of this is as I'm not a glock guy, but I will say that my Gen 3 G26 has been as reliable as any pistol I've ever owned. Plus that I shoot it pretty well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.