Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was the first time I've ever done real work on a gun before. I took off the stock sights and installed XS Big Dot 24/7 sights.

These make a huge difference in low light situations for in my home. I'm so glad I got them and these are very easy for me to put on target. Going from a well lit area into a room with a light off but the door open I can actually see where I'm pointing now! I tried the same thing with my Kahr MK9 (no night sights) I was pointing blindly and really could not tell where I was pointing past a few yards accurately.

These sights are not overly bright either. The front sight is supposed to be brighter then the rear one which works out great for me. They are not bright enough to glow through any of my shirts.

The naked slide

New front big dog front sight

New big dot rear sight

What it looks like with them on

·
GAP'r
940 Posts
You've inspired me to order the XS Express Big Dot sights (the ones with just a white rear sight line) for my 36. They were cheaper than the 24/7 set.

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
I have the std dot 24/7 versions. I shoot better with them than my 3 dot trijicon sights on my 17.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Is there a special tool that is used to install the front sight? I'm looking at changing out the sights on my 27, the only other sight that I have to look at other than stock is on a 19 with the Trijicon 3-dot; that front sight mounts very differently than a factory Glock sight...

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
did you follow the instructions that came with them? i just bought the big dot for my j frame .357 and love them. i'm going to order them for my 23 in a couple weeks [and put them on myself], i just spent 90 on one of those m-tac holsters everyone talks so good about so i have to wait a bit.

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sights come with everything you need except a hammer. I followed the directions exactly, but forgot to put a drop of locktite under the front night sight. oops. So I squired some around it.

It comes with these. The black piece is plastic and you use that to knock the site out and to help put the new site in.

This fits into the screw that holds the front sight in on the bottom of the slide

This tightens the screws in the rear sight

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks a ton for taking the time to post up those pics! That helps a bunch, I can feel new sights in my very near future!

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
I only put the loctite on the threads, so you should be fine. Also, save that plastic buffer they give you. I used it to install another set of night sights.

·
I shoot guns.
1,570 Posts
If you used loctite on the threads of the front sight screw, you'll be fine. Using it on the bottom of the sight itself is unnecessary.

But there is pretty much a universal truth about Glock front sights that install with a single screw: If you do no use red loctite on the threads of the screw prior to installation, it *will* come loose eventually. Blue is not enough (ask me how I know).

If you didn't apply any to the threads, take the screw out, coat 'em, and torque it back down. Unless you enjoy crawling around on your hands & knees looking for a small black object hidden amongst all the brass on the ground. See above, regarding the 'how I know' part. ;)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Where did you order the sights from? I like the "do it yourself" kit. I'm comfortable working on my Glocks up to the point of replacing the sights.

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where did you order the sights from? I like the "do it yourself" kit. I'm comfortable working on my Glocks up to the point of replacing the sights.
I got them from http://www.shootersplus.com

Very fast shipping! I ordered them on a saturday at 2am. I got them on monday :wow:

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I choose this, because I use my handguns for self defense. My glock 26 is my carry gun along as the home defense gun. I wanted very fast target acquisition and these work out great.

Also lining 2 dots up is faster and less confusing then 3 dots in very low light.

I know it's training, but this makes it easier for me :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts