Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low round count Glock 26 that I took out yesterday. Bought it used, so unsure of the actual round count, but finish and internals looked nearly new. I've put maybe 400 rounds through it.

Had it out to the range, and put about 120 rounds through it. Had a couple of mags loaded with Federal Hydrashok that had beeng sitting for awhile so decided to pop them off afterwards. A few rounds into that, I had a failure to fire. After waiting a bit, I ejected the shell. It has an indentation on the primer, but had not fired. Thought maybe my premium ammo had been sitting too long, so decided to fire all of it I had with, 25 rounds total. There were 3 that failed to fire. I was shocked that the high dollar ammo wasn't running when the cheapo stuff was. Went to the ammo can and pulled out a third type of 9mm. Had 2 or 3 failures in another 30 or so rounds. Then went back to the first kind of ammo, more failures. In total, I fired about 225 rounds. Out of the last 100 of those, a total of 8 failed to fire, 3/3/2 on the different kinds of ammo. Obviously there is a problem with the pistol's firing pin.

With a round count as low as I believe the pistol to have, I don't see how it could have built up enough debris anywhere to simply be not firing because it's dirty. I've cleaned it every time I've shot it, although I've never removed the firing pin. Is this something that needs to be sent to Glock or can I make it reliable myself?

·
just me
8,179 Posts
if it was me i would take it to a Certified Glock Armorer first if that dont get it send it to glock and you don't know what the last owner did to it !!!!! it may have a after market firing pin spring in it !! or it was some bad ammo :whistling:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Easiest route is to let an armorer check it out. Personally though, I've always been an advocate of self service when it comes to Glocks. A detail strip is in order to check the condition of the FP, the FP spring, and the cleanliness of the channel. The last owner may have overoiled the heck out of it attributing to the mentioned problem. That's just where I'd start. Also be sure it's making 100% return to battery.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Could be a number of things, dirty firing pin channel, weak firing pin spring, cut firing pin spring(by someone doing a homemade trigger job), broken firing pin. First I'd check to see if the channel is free and clear. Unload the gun, make sure its unloaded and pull the trigger, with the trigger pulled rearward, shake the gun forward and back listening for the firing pin to rattle in the channel. It should rattle, if not, I'll just about bet thats your problem. The channel should be clean and dry, nothing but dry, no oil at all. If it is dirty, I'd detail strip the slide and clean it, but if your not willing to do that, some gun scrubber should clean the channel out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Were the light strikes centered or off-center? Are you careful when cleaning to not get lube in the firing pin channel?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The indents on the primer are off-center. I didn't know the firing pin was supposed to hit in the middle every time?

When I took the slide off, the firing pin was protruding slightly (such as if it was in the action of firing), and stuck in the open position. When I pushed it back in (required some force with the tip of my finger), it went back and did not come back out again because of the firing pin safety. It moved freely, and dry-firing it after that did not make it stick forward again.

I've never oiled or over-oiled in that area, I don't know about the previous owner.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The firing pin should drop forward of its own weight with the slide off and manually depressing the firing pin safety muzzle end down...

·
Registered
159 Posts
The indents on the primer are off-center. I didn't know the firing pin was supposed to hit in the middle every time?

When I took the slide off, the firing pin was protruding slightly (such as if it was in the action of firing), and stuck in the open position. When I pushed it back in (required some force with the tip of my finger), it went back and did not come back out again because of the firing pin safety. It moved freely, and dry-firing it after that did not make it stick forward again.

I've never oiled or over-oiled in that area, I don't know about the previous owner.
OK, now were getting somewhere. If the primer marks are off center, that means the gun was slightly out of battery when the firing pin fell. That can be caused by a dirty breechface, bad ammo, (as in out of spec/ reloaded/ high pressure case) or a weak recoil spring. But since you said you was shooting fed Hydra shocks, I think a recoil spring check is in order. With a unloaded gun, no magazine, weapon pointed upwards, pull the slide fully to the rear and slowly let the slide go forward and see if it will go COMPLETELY into battery. Do this several times. It should not have a problem going into battery. If so, replace the recoil spring assembly. It probabaly is a good idea to replace it anyway, as Glocks official stance is the replace it once a year on the weapons annual inspection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts