close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 26 Guide rod broke after 918 rounds

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by joehammer75, Mar 1, 2006.

1. joehammer75

joehammer75 NRA Member

Just wanted to pass along a heads up on a possbile Glock 26 issue . After 918 rounds through my new model 26 the guide rod broke , a call to the store where I bought it stated that it was odd because another glock 26 in the same shipment did the same thing so if you have a newer model 26 might wanna check it out, number on mine is HFU8** I am in no way bashing a model 26 because as anyone knows I have posted how much I love mine I am just wanting to help some buddies out befor this happens to them and they are stuck like me waiting on Glock to mail them a new guide rod . not the best pic but I am in a hurry will post a better pic later today

2. 9mmMike

9mmMike The Fun-Police Millennium Member

Years ago, Glock mailed me a new guide rod for my 26. It was part of some unofficial recall or something. My original one already had many thousands of rounds on it and showed no sign of impending failure. I have since bought spare "spring kits" from Glockmeister for all my Glocks.
    Mike

3. Kartar

Kartar

I use stainless steel assemblies from Glockmeister and Wolf. You can get non captured ones also which are a little harder to get on but easier clean and switch springs of different weights. Though I use the standard springs for carrying, if I use softball ammo I use a lighter spring.

4. shaun748

shaun748

Hey JOE, hope you don't mind that I mentioned your thread under the General Glocking section also, since I don't think many people even know about this SUB-Club section(especially now that it is under the fancy new Gun-Clubs heading). I know I did not find it for quite some time when I first joined.

That is rare and does suck, at least it happened during practice and no inury..Get a Wolff or other after market set up and you'll be good to go..

There will be some at this site that think this is impossible or somehow shooter induced..Some people like to live in a fantasy world that Glocks are 100% perfect, I never liked the stock plastic rod myself.

I wish Glock would let us know if they know something is not right instead of being all hush-hush. If it weren't for some LAPD guys mentioning issues, no one would have known the G21's were having ptoblems(It would be great if Glock reps monitered this site)

5. joehammer75

joehammer75 NRA Member

No problem at all Shaun and you are right that some will think its not Glocks fault but with anything things can and will breck on no matter what, chances are with the new one Glock is sending me that it will last for many 1000s of rounds but i think i will get one of the guide rods that you,katar and 9mmmike spoke of just for ease of mind probalbey a couple of them,,, my best friend always has two of everything like he has two BushMaster M4s , two Remington 870 police models and two Glock 23s and after yesterday with no compact glock to carry I started thinking that my friend is on to somthing here. Though a friend has loaned me a new in box glock 27 to carry till i get my 26 back up and running whitch is good cause I was thinking I was gonna have to carry my east german mak , and even though I like the east german its sorta my shiny pretty gun for showing off not so much for packing.

6. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Did it break right at the front? Because I have a G26 that starts with HTY***...

7. joehammer75

joehammer75 NRA Member

the small round piece that seats in at the back of the bbl

8. Marshhawk

Marshhawk

I have a G26 that starts with HTY and it appears to me that the guide rod is not uniformly black. It is grey/white and black kind of like they didnt mix the batch of polymer/plastic good enough and went ahead and made the guide rods. (I have no idea how they make them) just that it was the best way I knew how to describe it.

The guide rod on my G19 is uniformly black and is stock.

Does anyone know what the stock number is for a new G26 guide rod and spring from Lone Wolf. I can look myself just want to make sure I am getting the right item.

Thanks,
    Bill/WI

PS Ok call me stupid:) but what is the difference between a captured and a non-captured? That you can change spring weights with one and not the other?

9. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

IIRC captured is where the spring will not come off of the guide rod, and uncaptured means you can take them apart, I wonder how much of a difference there is in the serial #s of out G26s mine is a HTY as well

10. Kartar

Kartar

That can be caused by not seating the recoil spring correctly. It should fit into the half moon section of the barrel. The spring should be parallel with the slide when you look at it from the side.

11. joehammer75

joehammer75 NRA Member

i always make sure they are in the half moon,,, seems they never wanna go back on the frame as smooth if you dont. was at the lexington gun show today working and went over and talked to the GLOCK GUY and b4 I stated how many rounds my 26 had through it be the rod broke he said the ones that breck will often breck b4 1000 rounds and had a few with him for show and tell. taking my 26 tomorrow and having him put a Titanium rod in it, was gonna go with the steel rod but i figured what the hell its my daily carry gun so why not

12. Kartar

Kartar

I have stainless steel recoil rods in mine. It's very rare for the polymer ones to break but I like the peace of mind of the steel one. Some people shy away from the titanium ones for supposedly being brittle but I haven't seen anyone on this forum say theirs has broken. The steel ones are cheaper and at least as durable as the titaniums just a little heavier.

13. lastevolution

lastevolution "Senior" Member

Where can a person find SS/tungsten/titanium guide rod assemblies for the G26?

14. joehammer75

joehammer75 NRA Member

15. meshmdz

meshmdz OBAMA 2012

this is my greatest fear with the G26... i hope and pray mine doesnt break

16. horshack

horshack

I have a glockmeister stainless rod in my G27 that broke.

Half of the spring skirt broke off and I am having other issues with the 27 outlined in anther thread in the general forum.

17. Stancil

Stancil

I have a G26 serial number HTYxxx as well, and you guys are getting me worried.

Mine looks like this too.