Glock 26 FTE without magazine

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by marksiwel, Apr 2, 2010.

1. marksiwel

marksiwel My Mommy's Calling

Hi all.
    I just bought a Glock 26 (I think its the 3rd gen? how can you tell?) I'm a Browning Hi Power guy, so I'm used to not being able to fire without a magazine.
    While shooting my Glock I realized "Hey I can shoot without a mag" so I tried it. The Casing failed to eject and was crunched by the slide.
    So why did it do that?
    I've fired 800 rounds without any problems with a variety of ammo (everything from Monarch to Hyrdoshock)
    any ideas?
    *note to mods I may have been trying to post this in the wrong section, sorry I'm new*

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If you are firing a round without a mag, why in the world would you care about the casing. better question, why in the world would you want to fire your pistol without a magazine in it?

There is only 1 generation of G26's, although earliest models, at least through part of 1997, had smooth finger grips, while the later frames have checkered finger grips. That is the only change since introduction in late 1995.

3. DannyR

Oh, yes, the cause. It's called gravity. The fired casing can't tell without a magazine in place whether it wants to fling up or drop down. With a mag in place, it has no choice.

4. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

My recommendation is to not shoot your G26 without a magazine. There is no reason to do it, and its ability to shoot that way proves nothing about it, or any other gun.

5. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

G26 and G27 are generally recognized as having come in two generations. 2.5 and 3. The smooth finger grooves are considered the 2.5 and I believe they were only made that way for about three years.

6. DannyR

Gosh, you are giving me nightmares. If you chambered the round from a mag and then removed the mag, the extractor should extract the round. If you chambered the round by hand, the extractor probably was not able to get over the rim of the casing--a very good way to break an extractor.

Son, just don't do it. It's a deadly weapon, not a plaything.

7. marksiwel

marksiwel My Mommy's Calling

. I have previously lived in Boston and before that with my parents. So I was never around guns. Moved back to Texas inherited a Browning from the wifes grandpa. Took it to "The Gun Store" in Cedar Park, and they went over how to take it down, hold it ect. He also gave me a brief run down on Hi Powers and how the only downside was that they needed a Magazine to Fire.
    Since then I've learned that the magazine disconnect effects trigger break and the ability of the magazines to drop freely.
    I got a Glock partly because you could fire it without a Mag in the chamber. SO I learned not to do that, but I figure you never know when it might happen, be needed.
    has anyone run into this with other models?

P.s. I wont try it again, just making sure it wasnt a problem with the gun

8. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I'm fairly certain every model of every handgun on the market will do what you have described about 90% of the time.

You are confusing proper gun operation with and without a magazine, with something that is considered a "safety" feature by some and a nuisance by others. The magazine disconnect feature, or lack thereof is not supposed to mean that a gun will function perfectly without a magazine. It is generally marketed for someone, usually a police officer, who has gotten into a handfight with a bad guy and knows they are about to be disarmed by said bad guy. The supposed safety feature, is that once you are being disarmed by the bad guy, you are to miraculously be able to drop the magazine and he can't use your gun against you because the gun can't fire with a magazine in place.

9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Some pistols do this this, seems the mag helps hold the case in the correct position for extraction/ejection.
    Should be a non-problem unless you shoot a lot without a mag.

10. Mando20

Mando20

If in the heat of battle you accidentally hit the mag release it would be nice to know you have one more shot. I guess...... May give you time to get another mag loaded. My G19 fires without a mag just fine and does not FTE.

11. mteagle1

mteagle1

This problem is not restricted to the G26 as it also happened in my G24 when I loaded then dropped the mag to check round count left and did not get the mag fully seated. On the draw the mag fell out and the slide closed back on the mouth of the fired round which did not eject.

12. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Interesting... I've done this once or twice at the range with my Glock 20. Fire a few rounds, pull the mag and then shoot kind of absent mindedly (at the target). The bullet always fires, it does not eject, it fell through the mag chamber.

Each time I do a /facepalm and say "that probably shouldn't have happened that way."

Be SAFE not stupid like me!

13. thedave8

thedave8

ok.....so why when clearing your Glock, remove mag, rack it, and live round ejects....like it should.....why? seems to know up from down then..i know firing it is alot more extraction force but.............just saying

14. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach

When shooting without a magazine you'll probably have a failure to feed as well.

15. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I have always tilted my gun to the right before doing this. Otherwise, the round being ejected usually falls down the mag well.

16. CynicX

CynicX

Assuming there is a situation where you are firing without a mag, its unlikely you'll have anymore ammo left anyway. And if you did you'll need to rack the slide regardless since it cant lock back without a mag in place.

Its a bad idea to drop the slide on a round, if you do load it for a single round and no mag do it from a mag then eject the mag. You can damage an extractor dropping it over a round rather then it sliding it behind it like a mag would do. Where the shell goes is a crap shoot since the mag aids in its direction. I can manually cycle ammo and it will go out normally, but it wont all the time firing live ammo.

I would definitely NOT consider needing a mag to fire a gun a down fall of the hi power. Its nice that we can but its an unlikely circumstance.

17. thedave8

thedave8

thats funny as hell!!!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

18. HOV

HOV

The casing dropping through the mag well is not a malfunction.

Imagine a play-by-play of the spent casing being pulled out of the chamber by the extractor in a normal operating situation:

1. Case head clears the chamber. The next round in the magazine is pushing upward with spring force, but is being held down in place by the bottom part of the slide.
    2. Case mouth clears the chamber. The case head hits the ejector around the same time the next round in the magazine clears the bottom of the slide, so the next round pushes up and provides a barrier to the spent casing falling down, hence the casing flies up and away.

Without a magazine in the gun:

1. Case head clears the chamber. There is no next round in the magazine, nor is there a magazine, so the case head is being pulled out over the empty chasm that is the mag well.
    2. Case mouth clears the chamber. The case head hits the ejector around the same time as the case mouth starts falling down due to the force of gravity. The ejector doesn't do much except knock the case off the extractor, and the case tumbles down through the magwell.

I actually tried this on purpose as well, to see if I could retain my brass a little better for testing my new 10mm loads. It would work fine I think, but the force of the recoil spring was such that it made the slide close too fast, before the brass had time to fall too far down the magwell, and the brass would get caught between the breechface and chamber. Kind of defeated the purpose of saving one's brass if the brass got damaged like that.