Glock 26 for bug IDPA

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by Jeff Caswell, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Jeff Caswell

Jeff Caswell

So I’m looking to use a Glock 26 for bug IDPA. I want to make some upgrades, some useful and some for looks.

I’ve read through the rules and think I’m ok, but wanted to get some opinions. Below are the upgrades I’m toying with. I think the first two are safe, not sure about the last two. Any feedback is much appreciated!

AMERIGLO SPARTAN OPERATOR SIGHTS
    https://www.glockstore.com/Ameriglo-Spartan-Operator-Sights?quantity=1&color=212&custcol7=209

GEN 5 METALLIC PIN & EXTENDED CONTROL KIT FOR GLOCKS
    https://www.glockstore.com/Gen-5-Metallic-Pin-Extended-Control-Kit-for-Glocks?color=54

GEN4/GEN5 EXTENDED ALUMINUM MAGAZINE CATCH https://www.glockstore.com/Gen-4-Extended-Aluminum-Mag-Release-Gen4

26/27/33/39 grip extension http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-26

2. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

I don't know the rules. The best improvements I've found for a 26 are ammo and sights.

Jeff Caswell likes this.

3. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

I think you're fine with possible exception of the Pearce extensions. Unless the rules have changed, the gun must fit in the size box, and BUG guns can be no taller than 4.5". I measured my 27 (same size as your 26), and from the top of the sights to the bottom of the Pearce extension, it's about 1/4" too long. You'd be better off with stock mag bases or Geeplates. Make sure you test everything before you head to a match. Nothing annoys a RO like unsafe acts, or a tricked out gun that won't run and delays the match. Good luck shoot safe.

Jeff Caswell likes this.
  4. KeithC

KeithC

I’ve got the Pearce +0 basepads on my G26, which I shoot in BUG. Had to sand a little material off of the front of the Pearce extensions to get the gun to fit in the IDPA box with the BUG inserts in place. When you remove enough material to get the gun to fit in the box, there’s still plenty of material left on the Pearce extension for your pinky finger to rest on. Worthwhile BUG mod IMO.

5. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

3 dot sights suck for competition, just go with Dawson black on black or a fiber optic front. Put in a 3.5lb connector. Take shooting lessons from an IDPA Master and get your fundamentals right: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, then transitions and movement. The rest of stuff is worthless.

6. Pilot172

Pilot172

The Pearce extension won't fit. The box height is 4.625". I use the Taylor Freelance +0 pad. They are aluminum too so they add weight and drop faster. I also have a KKM barrel and Dawson sights. Here is my BUG G26:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Keep in mind that very few clubs run BUG matches. That is up to the local club. If you want to shoot a G26, just run it in SSP.

8. Pilot172

Pilot172

BUG seems to be getting more popular lately. I'm in 4 state level matches this year in the midwest. Two of them have BUG division, two do not. I'd run the G26 in CCP instead of SSP if no BUG division.

9. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

From my experience plenty of matches have CCP. Use what sights work for your eye/brain coordination. For me it's two dot. Lots use one dot fiber.

+1 on dremeling down the Pearce extension to fit the box for bug

I add patches of the sandy grip tape on mine

Came in 3rd in bug state level match with that set up, no other changes

Good luck and have fun. Main thing if first time is to follow rules, avoid procedural penalties. Focus on the flow first and shooting shooting. Sounds dumb but there's a lot to be mindful of at the same time. To me that's why I feel IDPA is a better skill builder than Uspa because you kinda just blast away on those without dealing with other challenges

10. Schrag4

Schrag4

+1. I shoot my SR9c in CCP. It's about the same size as a G26, has 10 round flush fitting mags. I used to shoot the same gun in SSP, before CCP was a thing.

11. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

I believe you can shoot BUG with a G26 in a standard match (4 mags , 6 rounds each) but talk to a RO in advance … Your scores will not be so good going up against a course of fire set up for SSP but you will get a scoring advantage with BUG . Again , ask first .