close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 26 First Range Report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GunmetalX, Jul 1, 2006.

1. GunmetalX

GunmetalX

Got my G26 a couple weeks ago at a gun show. I haven't been able to shoot it til today though.

Anyways, I put the following through it. The gun is stock with the exception of a NY-1 spring.

140 WWB FMJ
    20 PMC FMJ
    30 WWB JHP ("Personal Defense" load)
    20 Speer Gold Dot 124 Gr.

I am happy to report that the gun functioned beautifully!

I did have ONE failure to fire with the PMC rounds. I heard a "click" and left it pointed downrange for about 15 seconds.. then ejected the round to find what looked like a light primer strike. I then fired the rest of the mag without problems. After this, I put the "dud" round back in and tried it again. Another click! I looked at the primer, and it looked like it was a little deeper, but still not deep enough. At this point I started thinking that maybe the round was holding the slide slightly out of battery and got a little nervous.. so I loaded the round one more time and examined the slide. It was fully in battery, so I tried a 3rd strike on the round.. and got another click. The only explanation I can come up with is that this round must have had a ROCK-hard primer that just refused to detonate.

The accuracy was great.. I was only shooting at around 5 yards but I was easily able to hold good groups in slow fire. The groups obviously spread during rapid fire but all stayed in the black. Also, last time I fired a Glock (my G22), I wasn't familiar with the concept of resetting the trigger. Now I understand why the Glock trigger reset is so beloved!! It's very easy to get rapid follow-up shots with the short reset.

Recoil with all ammo tried was easily manageable and getting the sight picture back was quick.

I have a Don Hume 715-SOOT for this pistol and I am quite confident now that it will be a great carry weapon. Once I put a couple hundred more rounds through it I'll fit it with some night sights, probably Mepros.

Anyone have suggestions for an IWB mag carrier? I have a tuckable from Crossbreed that I got with my holster for my PT-145, but it's a little too wide and deep for the G26 mags, they sink in too far and slide just a little too easily. I'd like to get something VERY minimalist if possible that could ride at around 9:00 or 10:00, since I plan on having my revolver on the weak-side hip around 8:00 (with its reload at about 1:00).

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I agree that the failure to fire appeared to be an ammo problem.

Sounds like you appreciate your G26 as much as the rest of us do! They're great little guns.

I don't really have a good suggestion for a G26 IWB mag carrier, but if lack of mag length is the primary difficulty in using your current mag holder, then have you considered using a longer mag as a reload? A 15-shot G19 mag is only slightly longer than the G26 mag, really no harder to conceal (in most cases), offers 5 extra shots, and usually is easier to grasp/draw/reload with than the stubby G26 mag, especially under stress. There is a popular point of view that says if you've gone through 10-11 shots already in self-defense, and have a need to reload, you're probably in deep enough poop to need MORE shots to get out of trouble, not just another basic gunload. Heck, I've even been known to carry and use a 17- or 19-shot (+2) G17 mag as my reload for the smaller/shorter Glock 9mms, including my G26. Just a thought... :)

3. GunmetalX

GunmetalX

Indeed, I have considered using the longer mags. However I was concerned that, since the spare will probably end up around 10:00, it might dig into my stomach when I'm sitting or driving. One advantage of the tiny 10-rounders is that they don't extend much above the beltline. Admittedly I haven't held the G19 or G17 mags in my hand and compared them side-by-side though, so it may still work, I'll have to try it out.

Speaking of using the longer mags -- do you recommend using the A&G sleeve with these? Do they offer any advantage besides ergonomics? Put another way, is there any functional problem with the longer mags when used without the sleeve (i.e., caused by a wobbly mag)? If there is no reliability advantage I'd just as soon go without the sleeve, if I do end up with the longer mags.

Thanks!

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

When they were first released, I bought one of the sleeves, and after trying it out, I went back to bare magazines. The sleeves add bulk at the end of the mag that is most likely to be seen when carried concealed as a reload, and after pinching the heel of my hand between it and the gun butt several times during speedy reloads, I decided the negatives outweighed the positives for me.

The bare mags DO tend to wobble a bit in the shorter guns, but I've never had a stoppage with one in my G26, so I have confidence in the combo. I suggest extensive test-firing with your spare magazine and the ammo you will have in it, both to identify possible functioning issues and to build skill with the weapon when so equipped. The subcompacts do have a different "feel" when using a longer mag, and if you drop your pinky finger under the mag base when you shoot with the short (normal) mags, you may need to get used to the change in your grip after a reload.

5. 40SX

40SX

I was at the range yesterday with my girlfriend and she decided to take along her Glock 26. We put about 400 rounds down range between her Glock and my S&W 1911 without any problems. I would also attribute your FTF to an ammo problem. Her Glock 26 is probably the last weapon she would ever dream of getting rid of. She can fire it almost as accurately as my 1911.

Very good choice on your new weapon.

Dennis

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

Aren't you glad Glock has the multiple strike capability so that you can try and re-fire the bad round? It makes a big difference and you're safer for it.

j/k :laughabove: :rollsmiley: :laughabove:

7. BustedFlush

BustedFlush Springy Member

Good post DJ!

I agree with everything you've written here. I was never happy with the A&G sleeve on a G23 mag in my G27. It felt "hinky". Pinching was an issue for me too, and I just didn't like doing a reload with it.

I never had any issues using the larger mags in my 27 without a sleeve.

I later bought a 26, 19 and 34 in that order. I've shot 15, 17 and 33 round mags from my G26 with no problem or failure of any kind. The 33 round mags are for fun, not carry, so don't ask me how I carry those on my belt. :supergrin:

Somewhere there is a drawer or a box with a couple of A&G spacers. When I stumble upon them, I should probably offer them to another Glock Talker.

:patriot: Happy Independence Day! :patriot:

BF :cool:

8. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

I carry a spare G17 mag for my G26 in one of these:

Safariland Model 123

Very comfortable & comforting. You hardly know it's there.

9. shotokit

shotokit

I had the same problem with a PMC round this past weekend. I know it's not the gun. I have never had a problem with winchester ammo for target practice.