Glock 26 and wild shell ejection

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by marca, May 14, 2007.

1. marca

marca Guest

Shooting my new Glock 26 I keep getting popped in the forehead by brass from the last round of a full magazine. I actually had on shell lodge between my safety glasses and flesh a few days ago. I have a nice burn as a result.
    In contrast, sometimes the last round's brass sort of pops straight up a few inches in the air and lands back in the chamber. So, sometimes the brass flies with a vengeance. Sometimes sort of sputters out of the chamber. I'm not limp-wrisitng and hve a good solid grip on the gun. Ideas?

2. northcoast

northcoast

I can't help on the G26 front, but will be curious...I have one that I haven't shot yet.

But as for the face burn, I suggest a baseball hat while shooting.

Good luck,
    Northcoast.

3. Cousin

Cousin Guest

What type of ammunition are you using? I've noticed that although my G26 gobbles up virtually anything, it does appear to perform better (smoother) with certain brands and types. I find the big retailer's white box target ammo (box of 100) to be very reliable and the ejected casings usually end up behind me at the range.

4. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

It's a feature. Time to reload when your fact gets hot.

5. m4arc

m4arc

I know its been stated many times here on GT that Glocks do now require a break-in period buy my G17 threw brass back in my face for the first 700-1000 rounds. After that it settled down and I haven't had an issue in over 3000 rounds.

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

I've been told that it's not uncommon, presuming the pistol is otherwise in good condition.

My G26 will often do the same thing when using USA9JHP2, which is the budget Winchester Personal Protection load we use for training, as well as some standard pressure Winchester 115gr JHP or FMJ.

It did it right up to the time I had to place recoil spring assembly for the first time and it's continued to do it for more than 4,000 rounds afterward.

A few things I've noticed ...

If use the same grip on my G26 as I do with my other compact & subcompact 9mm pistols ... which aren't Glocks, and include both aluminum & polymer frame models ... I can get the last round's empty case to pass by my head on either side, just over it, up and back down to bounce off the slide or back into my face or chest when using standard pressure 147gr & 115 gr ammunition.

The G26 is much less tolerant (in my hands) of grip stability issues than any of my other little 9mm pistols, even another polymer framed compact. I just have to use a firmer grip with my G26 than I can commonly use with my other 9mm compact & subcompact pistols.

I can't remember it happening when I'm using 115gr +P+ or 127gr +P+ ammunition, however.

When the last round is being fired, and the magazine is empty, there isn't another case located under the fired case as it's being extracted and positioned for contact with the ejector. That being the case, it may slip downward just a bit and not be held quite as high as the empty cases of the earlier fired rounds, so the ejector may impact the case differently than previously. This hasn't been considered a 'problem', in and of itself, when it's occasionally been discussed in any number of the LE armorer clases which I've attended over the years. Just one of those things that may occur under certain conditions.

It's also why sometimes if a pistol is being fired without a magazine in it (those that can be fired without a magazine in place) the last round's empty case may not be kicked out of the slide's ejection port, but may fall downward through the magazine well. Nothing below the empty case to keep it held as high as would be the case if a magazine, loaded or empty, was located below the empty fired case as it was being extracted & ejected.

That leads me to suspect that the Glock frame's ability to flex, with the reduced slide velocity of some standard pressure rounds, combined with my grip, may occasionally permit the last round to be ejected to the rear instead of to the side. When I'm shooting the 115gr/127gr +P+ loads, though, the empties are ejected briskly far off to my right, but then they develop quite a bit more felt recoil and apparent slide velocity, too.