close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GLOCK 26 - 3.5lb. vs. 5.5lb Trigger Pulls...Good/Bad?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Freedom_1776, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Freedom_1776

Freedom_1776

Hello Glockers on GT:

I currently carry two GLOCK 26's - One has a 5.5lb connector - The other has a 3.5 connector. Without discussing likes & dislikes of the "feel" (very personal), What comments do you all put forth concerning:

1. The accuracy factor of the 3.5lb vs. the 5.5 lb?
    2. Lots of "stories" re: the legal ramifications of having a 3.5lb. (trigger happy) on a GLOCK during the aftermath of a self-defense shooting. Any cimments here?
    3. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE between N.Y. connectors and others?
    4. Oops....There is no #4 - That's it!

Thank you in advance for your inout:)

I'm SOOOOOOO confused...:rollsmiley:

2. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) 1. The accuracy factor?

The 3.5 # connector definitely provides greater accuracy potential; but, only if you know how to pull a Glock trigger, correctly, to begin with!

First, take up ANY Glock trigger's, 'mushy' considerable front slack. (In my opinion, this, 'mush' is the only real safety you have on a Glock; but, this is just my opinion.) ;)

Now, you won't notice any increased resistance with a 5.5# connector and it's incumbent 90 degree angle; but, you WILL FEEL a slight pause at the end of the, 'mush' along with a brief moment of increased resistance as the trigger bar begins to climb a 3.5# connector's more recessed (gentler) 75 degree angle.

(With practice, you'll get used to it; or, you may already be. I really don't know.)

Next, continue to press the trigger a small fraction further to the rear; and, the Glock's firing pin will suddenly release, travel forward, and fire the pistol.

(From your post, I'm not sure whether or not you recognize the differences between these two connectors; but, as I said, you’ll get used to it!)

After the shot goes off, hold the trigger at the end of it’s travel for a brief moment before you allow the trigger spring to push your finger about 1/8” forward and into reset.

IF YOU INTEND TO FIRE ANOTHER SHOT, DO NOT LET THE TRIGGER GO FARTHER FORWARD THAN THIS.

I've found it very helpful to replace the factory's coil trigger spring with one of Wolff Gunsprings' standard 5# coil trigger springs. (It just feels like a better spring!)

It’s, also, useful to have one of LWD’s Glock, ‘Ultimate Trigger Stops’ installed in the pistol. (Easy to do, follow the directions that come with the unit.)

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/products.asp?prod=117&curRecIdx=21

2. Legalities?

If you don’t intend to fire a Glock pistol, then, don’t put your finger inside the trigger guard.

If you're a civilian it’s usually YOUR MOUTH that gets you into trouble after a shooting – not the pistol’s internal mechanism. Remember a Glock will not, ‘drop fire’ or, ‘double’ on you; and, regardless of whether a 5.5 or a 3.5 pound connector is used, it’s still the same, ‘Safe-Action’ mechanism.

3. NY Triggers?

Unless you're a member of a police department that mandates their use, forget about either one of the NY triggers – You don’t want one! ;)

3. kraigster414

kraigster414

+1 on the Wolff factory rated trigger springs. I have them in all my Glocks and I believe it is a better spring - slightly less reset as well. I have never heard of a Wolff trigger spring breaking.

Swapping out a 5.5 lb. connector for a 3.5 lb connector and doing nothing else does not produce a 3.5 lb trigger - it's really now a 4-4.5 lb. trigger. I have gone back and forth between connectors and don't notice a lot of difference so I am back to the 5.5 lb. connector in my carry guns. I do however recommend the .25 trigger job. It smooths things out a bit.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Depends on how you have learned to pull the trigger. If you are pulling the trigger all the way through each time, the 3.5 helps. If you are taking out the slack to the break point before final sight alignment, 3.5 is terrible and you need the 5. If you are using "trigger reset" there is an argument for either - the crisper break of the 5 or the easier pull of the 3.5 - depending on the shooter. A softer trigger is more forgiving of poor grip and trigger control.
    As you said, lots of stories, although most of them are more likely to apply in an accidental shooting than an intentional one. I have testified in court as a firearms expert witness in one case involving a Glock 19 - it even centered on whether a round had been fired on purpose or not. The prosecution expert testified that the Glock had a "5 to 8 lb. trigger pull" - he didn't even test it; he just looked at the Glock specs and where it listed the 19 with the 5 or 8 lb. connectors he took that to be a standard range of trigger weight.
    The NY connector pushes up on the trigger bar and makes a mushy, hard trigger pull so that people who don't remember to keep their fingers out of the trigger guard are, theoretically, less likely to accidentally pull the trigger. Some people say it feels like a revolver trigger, but I can only assume they have never fired a revolver.

5. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

The trigger break is faster and cleaner! I know because I shoot a Glock a whole lot better with the 3.5# connector & LWD trigger stop installed.

My own experience with 5.5# connectors is that, no matter how you pull the trigger, the break is still harder. (We're talking first or single shot trigger dynamics, here.) I haven't got a whole lot of use for shooting a Glock by pulling the trigger, 'all the way through' on each shot - A police officer might; but, I do not.

Repetitive shots from reset always tend to be easier and faster than any single shot. I'll concede that continuing to cover a suspect, 'from reset' would not be conducive to a perpetrator's health! :supergrin:

You order parts from Glock and Wolff Gunsprings to be sent to Nepal - Wow!) :cool:

6. kraigster414

kraigster414

Angel, you use this as your carry gun?

(Nepal is helluva place. I've got a Glock parts store a block from my mountain retreat.):)

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Wow, I envy you! I've seen a few news stories about the civil unrest in Nepal; guess you're caught up in it, huh.

Yes, this is my 24 hour-a-day sidearm. I frequently carry inside an easily detachable Kydex holster. This is because THE HOLSTER is my primary Glock safety device. When I carry in leather, as I sometimes do, I use a Saf-T-Blok behind the trigger.

Here's a couple of pictures of my Blade-Tech w/ Tek-Lok clasp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]