Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some insight on why I can't buy one in the good old USA? I can get a .380 from Bersa, CZ, Beretta, Taurus, Ruger, Kel Tec, etc. but not Glock. What gives???!!! :crying:

·
Registered
237 Posts
something about the model not fitting the "sporting" clause

of course, you could probably drive into mexico and buy one there, then bring it home... just sayin...

·
Registered
805 Posts
The .380 Glock doesn't have enough importation points.
I believe you need 75 points to pass.....

This is from The Glock FAQ:

Characteristic Points
Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
Forged steel frame 15
Forged HTS alloy frame 20
Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
.22 short and .25 auto 0
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
9mm parabellum and over 10
Locked breech mechanism 5
Loaded chamber indicator 5
Grip safety 3
Magazine safety 5
Firing pin block or lock 10
External hammer 2
Double action 10
Drift adjustable target sight 5
Click adjustable target sight 10
Target grips 5
Target trigger 2

For example, here is how the G17 scores:
Length (7.28") 5
Weight (24.79oz) 25
Caliber (9mm) 10
Locked breech 5
Firing pin block 10
Double action 10
Target sight 10
Target grips 5
Total 80

Here is how the Glock 26 scores:
Length (6.29") 1
Weight (21.87oz) 22
Caliber (9mm) 10
Locked breech 5
Firing pin block 10
Double action 10
Target sight 10
Target grips 5
Target trigger 2
Total 75

·
20,407 Posts
Do you really want a Glock the size of a G19/G23 chambered in .380, which is more expensive than 9mm?

·
20,407 Posts
Butch,

I understand, because you are as crazy as I.:tongueout:

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
Sometimes the uppers and magazines are available. The pistols can be imported for law enforcement and later sold to the general public but I doubt that will happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replys. Since I can't get a Glock 25 I just ordered a CZ 83. Did Pelosi and Obama dream up this points for importation scheme?? LOL!!

·
Glock Genius.
662 Posts
I would like a G28, too... But since it's not happening anytime soon, maybe I'll get a (dare I say on GLOCK TALK?) Beretta Cheetah...

·
Registered
917 Posts
I don't see why they can't make them now, since some frames namely the G17/G34 frames are being made in Smyrna, why not the 25? If it's domestic then they don't have to worry about the importation points system.

·
NRA Member
2,412 Posts
The question isn't "why aren't the Glock .380s available in the US" so much as "why the heck would you WANT a Glock .380 when you can get a 9mm?"

They're not smaller, they don't hold more rounds. If you want something soft-shooting, get a 9mm and load it up with subsonic ammo or something.

·
The Ogre
1,746 Posts
Same thing as the AWB, things banned that don't make weapons anymore dangerous. What genious spent the time figuring out the ridiculous point system to keep saturday night specials from being imported? When they did why did they feel that the 2 mm in length difference between the 9mm and .380 warranted a 7 point swing in the rating of a given pistol? More importantly why do most people not know anything about this? Mostly because the guns it keeps from being imported aren't missed a great deal or aren't even known to exist, I would imagine.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,582 Posts
I don't see why they can't make them now, since some frames namely the G17/G34 frames are being made in Smyrna, why not the 25? If it's domestic then they don't have to worry about the importation points system.
True enough, but realistically I don't doubt they figure it would be a poor seller simply because the same gun IS available in 9mm.

It certainly does make sense that no one would want a .380 the same size as a 9mm or .40......but then, since we now have the G39, why continue to make the G26 & 27? :supergrin:

:patriot:

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
The point system came into being to try to prevent the importation of "Saturday night specials". The problem arose because nobody could define just what made a gun a "Saturday night special". Dumb, but so.
At

1 - 18 of 18 Posts