Glock 24 Open Gun Build Report - 9mm Major

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Brother J, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Brother J

Brother J

Well, its been a while since I last documented a Glock project gun, so I'll throw this latest project out there. Last year, I bought a new Glock 24 with the intention of using it in Limited Division (USPSA), shooting .40 major power factor. It worked OK, but I always wondered how it would be to shoot a scoped/comp'ed gun in Open division, especially in 9mm major. I wanted to stay within a reasonable budget, so that ruled out getting a 2011 race gun. Besides, Glocks are easy to work on and accessories are relatively affordable. So, the conversion began on the Glock 24. I had already performed the usual enhancements to the gun, including a larger mag release, mag well, lightening the striker, peening the slide rails, competition trigger spring and polishing/thinning out the connector. C-More makes a very good red dot reflex sight, so that was an easy decision. Carver makes a very solid mounting system, so I ordered the C-more/Carver combo from Bobby Carver at B&B Enterprise. I went with a Lone Wolf 40-9mm conversion barrel and a 9mm comp. I’ve had good results with using Lone Wolf barrels. The quality is good, they lock up tighter than OEM and the price is right. With this particular gun, the stock barrel had about .010 of play between the lower barrel lug and the locking block. I tig welded the OEM lower barrel lug and fitted it. I had to do the same with the Lone Wolf barrel, so it was an anomaly of this particular gun. The lock-up was now tight and solid. Next, it was time to lighten up the slide. The slide already had a cut-out on top, but I extended the opening another inch or so. I then drilled 5/16 holes (13 in all) on the side of the slide and on the bottom front, matching the original hole that accesses the front sight. I positioned the holes on the left side in between the lettering, trying to maintain some restraint in my efforts to lighten the slide, and drilled through the right side. On the right side, I drilled additional holes since there’s no lettering there to worry about. This effort reduced the slide weight by 2 ounces. That should help in making the gun cycle faster. Oh, I also lowered the ejection port by .10, per Bobby Carver’s recommendation to ensure reliable ejection using the Carver Competition Mount. This mount sits very low on the slide, so opening up the ejection port is a worthwhile modification.

Did I break the bank with this build? Let’s take a look at the damage done to the kids’ future inheritance:

Glock 24: 600.00
    C-more/Carver combo: 369.00
    Lone Wolf barrel & comp: 175.00
    Dawson Precision Magwell: 80.00
    Lone Wolf mag release: 15.00

Grand total of $1,239.00

Now, the easy part of the project is completed. The real work begins with coming up with a 9mm major load and recoil spring combination that results in a soft-shooting, flat/fast cycling action that keeps the red dot on the target. Well, that’s part of the fun of this sport.

Here's the pic's

Bottom welded lug:
    [​IMG]

Top and right side of slide:
    [​IMG]

Left side of slide:
    [​IMG]

Complete gun:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

:wow: That pistol is something else. Looks like you put a lot of work into that. I kind of like it.:supergrin:

3. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Try HS 6 and Silhouette.

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

somewhere between 13 and 11 pounds and HS-6 ought to be a good place to start. i use rex-2 in my GSSF glocks but HS-6 for 9 major, but i use a 2011 for USPSA.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

Nice setup. I never understood why more shooters don't use Glocks as a base for open guns. They are more durable and way cheaper than STI/SVI based guns. Almost every open shooter locally uses a 2011 style gun and has terrible reliability problems. The plastic in the STI frames is very soft compared to a Glock and gets beat up by magazine lips. The Glock should last forever.

The cost is the biggest reason to go with a Glock. The gun setup, even with someone else doing the work, should be under $2000. The 2011 open guns are around $3000. The holster rig would cost about the same but the mags would save you another couple hundred bucks. Overall a roughly $1500 savings will buy a ton of reloading components or practice ammo so you can get really good with your fancy new toy.

Sorry to hijack. I'll get down from my soapbox now.:embarassed:

6. HK Dan

HK Dan

Coulda saved a lot of hassle and done the SJC version.

7. Brother J

Brother J

I genuinely enjoyed doing this project. Make no mistake, it was not "a lot of hassle."

8. TedG954

TedG954

I am guessing that the holes in the slide are to lessen the overall weight. Or, timing? In any case, is the weight reduction noticeable? Have you ever seen a CCW Glock with slide holes?

Thanks.

9. LRRPSGUY82

LRRPSGUY82

could you please tell me what bit you used to mill the slide? like carbide or something like that?

10. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Sorry, I have to take issue with more durable. There is no plastic in the frame. The plastic part is the grip and can be replaced without FFL or transfer etc. Also, if people are having reliability issues, then the guns weren't built right. A lot of people are also building 9mm major guns, which the platform wasn't really designed for, although there are many out there that run just fine.

In my experience, the open GLOCKs I've seen have had many issues with reliability.

I know several STI / SV guns (as well as my Caspian) that have over 100,000 rounds through them. Many of these rounds were prior to the lowering of IPSC major power factor. We used to launch 115 grain bullets at near 1600 FPS velocity.

As for cost, yes that is the major difference between the two. Not only are the guns themselves expensive, the magazines are stupid expensive (and unnecessarily so IMNSHO).

11. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Very nicely done.

I agree with several other posters that HS-6 maybe the way to go for powder in Major 9mm.

I've been contemplating building a GLOCK 9mm open for steel shooting. Did you consider a slide ride dot before using the Carver mount (which ironically is probably cheaper than many of the slide ride setups).

12. 2006HD

2006HD

where is the g24 on the glock website?

VERY nice by the way!

13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

Guaranteed A zone hits every shot? Nicely done!

14. 9mmkungfu

9mmkungfu

No longer in production.

15. Brother J

Brother J

Actually, the holes serve to lighten the slide which decreases reciprocating mass, which is more beneficial than reducing overall weight. It makes for a faster cycling action. I once owned a Glock 19C with slide holes (more like slots) on top of the slide.

16. Brother J

Brother J

To do any kind of machine work on a Glock slide, you should remove the tenifer-treated area to expose the softer steel. In this case, I used a small Dremel grinding stone to expose an area ~1/4" in diameter and then using a high speed steel 5/16" drill bit to drill the holes.

17. Brother J

Brother J

I contemplated the slide ride (Burris Fastfire) option, but ended up putting that on an AR-15 set up for 3-gun matches. The slide ride has one major advantage in that it eliminates the frame to slide play variable that you have with the frame mount setup. But it is more fragile, adds weight to the slide and sometimes gets hit by spent brass. Plus, to change out the battery, you have to remove the sight from the mounting base, potentially changing zero. For me, the C-more represented the best compromise, in terms of price, durability and ease of use. While the slide to frame play can be an issue for some Glocks, I've found a way to substantially remove the play. So far, its working, but I can't speak to the long term reliability. So I'm going to keep to myself until it proves viable over the long haul.

18. Brother J

Brother J

Correction: No longer in regular production. The long slides (17L and 24) are produced in limited batches of 1000. At least that's what I remember reading.

19. mteagle1

mteagle1

The 17L and 24 are limited production items according to the Glock Annual.

20. ede

ede Bama's Friend

biggest down side to me with a glock in 9 major is a more limited magazine length than 2011 mags. the bullets rubs the front of the glock mag and once in a while bind up. the OAL could be less but for me it didn't work as well as a 2011. there's so much powder in 9 major i seat the bullets a bit longer. recoil to me is also more harsh in a glock than a 2011.