close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SMissCCJ, Nov 13, 2017 at 9:59 PM.

1. SMissCCJ

SMissCCJ

Any dedicated 40 s&w guys, this post is for you...how have your Glocks (22, 23 or 27) held up? Have an opportunity to get a LE Glock 22 gen 2 and thought about adding a 23 to compliment it. I currently have a G30S that runs like a champ.

All feedback is appreciated!

2. ranger1968

ranger1968

My current G-23 LE gun (which still carried by this LEO every day ) is closing on 110, 000 rounds with regular maintenance and no problems; My last G-23 is at 160,000 rounds or so and is still in use as a rental gun for the shooting school that we own as our side business.

Glock pistols are very well made, very sturdy pistols, and they last for a very, very long time.

1L26, treg, timmay and 2 others like this.

3. Heath Ern

Heath Ern

I had one and carried it daily for about 15 years. It held up just fine. Many years ago, I changed carry calibers, and it was retired to a safe queen backup gun, until I eventually traded it toward an AR. But I have no doubt that it would still be working just fine.

4. pspez

pspez

I have shot my Gen 4 -23 every Monday for 5 years with approximately 150 rounds each time. It is just fine.

5. yfdcap

yfdcap

I have four 23's, three 22's, one 27, one 24, one 35 and have owned many others. Never a issue with any. Change the recoil spring assembly every 3000-5000 rounds or as needed and they are gtg.

6. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

2 g27’s and a 23. Good shooters. Need to replace my RSA IN MY 2010 gen 4 with frying pan finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

I have several .40 Glocks. None of the ones I bought new have very high round counts. I have LEO trade-in w/ unknown round counts. All work fine. My oldest one bought NIB is about 17 years old.

Glockdude1 and texas 48 like this.
  8. mlshermancpa

mlshermancpa

I bought a Gen 2 G22 LEO trade-in for $299 about 10 years ago and it has been flawless. I recently purchased a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel and the only change required was a new striker spring. So I'm pretty happy.

9. Bcw7101

Bcw7101

I got 100 rounds on mine. With the unsupported feed ramps and the kabooms. It’s like having one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. It’s bearly hanging on.

10. thbassin

thbassin

I had an ex LEO G22 that I bought and used in competition for the last 5 years or so. About 30k rounds of everything from major 40 loads to 9mm plinkers and it’s still going strong. The grip frame is worn down smooth but it’s been wearing grip tape for quite a while now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. allegro

allegro

Countless rounds through my G23(3) and still carry it daily.

It has been a great and dependable tool, fun to shoot, accurate and worthy of EDC.

I added TruGlo TFX sights and a few extra mags and have NEVER had a stoppage.

JMHO

12. Leigh

Leigh

Former G23 owner....

Round count just over 8,500 rounds in about 8 years so not a crazy number BUT I was able to count the total malfunctions on one hand....err, make that two fingers....honestly.

One was an older Gecko brand (Germany perhaps?) light primer strike (or Priv Part) and the other an aluminum Blazer stove pipe...not bad odds!

Swapped out the recoil spring/guide rod after about 2,500 but it most likely didn't even need that.

Almost ("almost") trashed a NFML magazine...the spring was pretty sloppy but it still managed to feed everything.

13. harold63

harold63

My son got a G23 to use when he was a pig hunting guide. He's beat that gun like it was a redheaded step child trying to keep up with the old man's shooting. Gun operates 100%. It does have enough recoil that you can't be too relaxed shooting it, otherwise, you end up with minute of school bus accuracy at 21'.

14. Leigh

Leigh

And "former" only because I do not reload and shoot a ton of 9mm.........
    $8.75/box vs. $12.99/box can get pricey for someone who buys lots of their clothes "off the rack."

15. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

My first Glock was a G19. I later upgraded it to a G23. It's 100 percent reliable and is my current carry gun.

I have a 9mm conversion barrel for it and a G32 357 barrel for it as well, but I prefer the 40 for less muzzle blast and only shoot 9mm in it for cheap practice.

The 40 caliber is the most hated and underrated handgun caliber in existence. And though it falls halfway in between the 9mm (.35) and the .45, it's a lot closer in performance to the 45 than it is to the 9 and yet it fits in the same size guns as the 9.

Boscobarbell and yfdcap like this.
  16. Tahmail

Tahmail

My 23 is 15 years old but is not a high mileage arm. I also drop a 9mm Wolf barrel in it to cut shoooting $. It's never missed a beat with .40 or 9mm.

17. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

+15K in a 23(my daily carry), I put +15K through a 22, bought used from a IDPA or the like shooter.
    I have an extractor for when it goes, but that is about it.

As far as shooting goes I'm a lightweight.

18. IDCG

IDCG

Have only 7,000 rounds through my gen 3 G23, but it's my most reliable pistol. It's malfunctioned only once or twice, and one of those was attributed to a bad magazine. I did manage to crack the original frame in the recoil lug area, but when I first purchased the gun I did fire a fair amount of 135gr Triton and 155gr Silvertips which are pretty hot loads. The gun still worked fine with the cracked frame, but Glock replaced the frame for free, and the newly framed gun is just as accurate and reliable as before. I do, however, run a recoil buffer in the gun now.

19. Hank Was Right

Hank Was Right

The 23 is a great gun, and my 15+ year old gen 3 version is very accurate. If you get a used one, assuming it’s got all factory parts in it, I’d replace the RSA, trigger spring, and slide lock spring before I shot it. The slide lock spring in some older 19s and 23s was updated several years ago, and you need to make sure you have the updated part. I didn’t find out about this until mine broke during a qual two years ago, and I was one shot away from the slide divorcing the frame.

My agency has since switched to Glock 9mm, and I was allowed to buy my old 23. I still shoot it better than my 19 or my issue Gen4 26, and it still finds it’s way into my holster on a regular basis. I recently had the sights replaced by a friend who is an armorer and Glock enthusiast. He said he shot a few rounds through it while he had it, and was amazed an old .40 could be that accurate.

20. L-2

L-2

Problem serial number range from September 2001 to May 2002,
    Approximate s/n range: EKx###US to EVx###US

My G23gen3 and G27gen3 were from this range and had the rear rails break off. Outside of this serial number range, I also had a G31gen3's rear rail break off with s/n "SKFxxx", probably made in 2011 and a cracked frame on a G30Gen4 (made in 2012). I've also seen one of my former department's G22gen3 with a cracked frame (unknown round count; the frame cracks in the locking block area). I say this as it's possible any Glock may have hidden problems show up. Glock has the ability to make things right, as in replacing a Gen2 frame with a Gen3 frame or even finding a used/rebuilt gun in its inventory to sell you at a discounted price should the entire gun need replacing, but some costs will on you. Shipping a handgun to Glock might cost ~$80.

The G22/23gen3 may have feeding problems when using a weapon mounted light. These problems might be lessened by ensuring the use of the latest mags and fresh RSAs. For a G22gen3, ensure it has the 11-coil mag springs; not the older 10-coil springs.

The OP only mentioned a G22gen2 and didn't mention the anticipated Gen for the G23. For my G22gen2 models I had, I was inaccurate with them at 25 yards, compared to my Gen3 and Gen4 versions. I can only guess the barrel-to-slide lock-up was looser on my Gen2 versions when I had them.