Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at purchasing my first pistol shortly and im looking at the glock 23. I will be going to shoot the gun tonight at the range to see how it feels. The range tells me that they will sell my a new 23 for $575+ tax. Is that a good price? Ive got a couple other guns in mind that i plan on shooting tonight just to see how they feel.

Does anyone here carry a 23? Im thinking about trying for my CCW after I get some good practice in with the thing. I also plan on taking some shooting classes before. How hard is it to find ammo for the .40 cal?

Im sure ill have more questions once i get back from the range and also when i make the purchase.

Thanks guys and sorry for the noob stuff!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I thought the G23 would be my first gun, but I found the recoil a bit too snappy. Now, I don't mind it so much, so definitely rent one and see how it feels. I now own a G19 and much prefer it, although, with more shooting experience shooting now, the .40 recoil doesn't bother me so much (I found it much more comfortable to shoot .40 in the Sig platform).

Although all ammo is hard to come by right now, overall .40 is pretty easy to find.

In conclusion, I'd just say don't be married to the .40. 9mm and .45 are other great choices that many folks, myself included, find to be less snappy in the recoil dept. Most importantly, I shoot them more accurately out of similar platforms (i.e., I shoot 9mm Sigs better than .40 Sigs, 9mm Glocks better than .40 Glocks, etc.)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome! I have both the Glock 19 and 23. For me the reason I chose those two models is how they fit my hand, not caliber. I would love to get a Glock .45 but do not like how any of the models fit in my hand. I use the Glock 19 as a CCW gun and the Glock 23 for hiking/outdoors open carry.

I would suggest if you can to shoot both and see how it feels. 40 caliber is a bit more snappy than 9mm. Again with the .40, cost is a factor as it can be a bit more than 9mm. Price for a new G23 here in Oregon is $ 530. Both are great guns and good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the G23 would be my first gun, but I found the recoil a bit too snappy. Now, I don't mind it so much, so definitely rent one and see how it feels. I now own a G19 and much prefer it, although, with more shooting experience shooting now, the .40 recoil doesn't bother me so much (I found it much more comfortable to shoot .40 in the Sig platform).

Although all ammo is hard to come by right now, overall .40 is pretty easy to find.

In conclusion, I'd just say don't be married to the .40. 9mm and .45 are other great choices that many folks, myself included, find to be less snappy in the recoil dept. Most importantly, I shoot them more accurately out of similar platforms (i.e., I shoot 9mm Sigs better than .40 Sigs, 9mm Glocks better than .40 Glocks, etc.)
How does 9mm ammo compare to .40cal ammo? I dont wanna get a 9mm and not be happy with its performance and wish i had gone with something that has more stopping power. Ive read some stuff about the 9mm ammo thats out today compares very close to the .40 ammo, is that true?

·
Registered
54 Posts
For C.C. i think that you might want to look at the G27 also, it is a great little shooter. I find the 40 to be a very easy gun to shoot, no problems with recoil, but this is something everyone must figure out for them selves. As long a you get something 9mm or bigger you are going to be fine. just be sure to find a gun that you are comfortable with.

·
I laugh at liberals.
5,965 Posts
I own the 23. Love it, fits me good and I have huge mitts. Was going for the 27, but way too small for me.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
I am a new .40 shooter, but have shot pistols since 1973. The recoil, especially in the 155/165 grain bullets, is fairly snappy. Go w/180 grainers. And 40 S&W getting easier to find. Gunshows here in Portland, Oregon area is best source for ammo. NEVER shoot lead bullets or reloads of unknown quality out of your stock barrel or you may learn about Glock's "Kaboom" problem. Factory ammo will be best. Really enjoy my G23, and the price of yours seems fair. I did tons of research before settling on the Galco Concealable for my holster, and think I got a great holster. Galco list for $82, but you can find it much cheaper elsewhere. I paid $69 (new) at Keith's in Gresham, Oregon.
Good Luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For C.C. i think that you might want to look at the G27 also, it is a great little shooter. I find the 40 to be a very easy gun to shoot, no problems with recoil, but this is something everyone must figure out for them selves. As long a you get something 9mm or bigger you are going to be fine. just be sure to find a gun that you are comfortable with.
Ive shot the 27 before and I didnt like it. Its a lil to small for my hands and feels like its gonna come out of my hands when I shoot it. Ill give that one another shot tonight.

·
Firefighter
31 Posts
First off, go shoot one for yourself if you can. Second, dont let anyone on here tell you about recoil this or that. I bought a G19 (same size frame as the 23) about 2 months ago. I got it because it fit my hand very nice and the 9mm would be less recoil for my wife, and it is the one she picked out of the lineup at the gun shop. The G19 is our home defense weapon. I really wanted to get the G27 because of the smaller design. My wife didnt like the feel of the 27 like I thought she would have. I have shot the G19 a lot and love it. It is a great gun. I started looking at the G27 a little more, but heard everyone on here talking about how snappy it is and this and that. Well, I couldnt find one to shoot but said "F" it and bought a G27 (I get the Blue Label LEO discount). Let me tell you, I shoot better with the 27 than I do with the 19. The recoil isnt bad at all. Yes it is a little more than the 19 but nothing to sweat over. My buddy has a G22 (Full size .40) and the recoil isnt bad on that one either. Get what you want, what you will be comfortable with and what you will use. This board is excellent for a lot of information but dont neccesarilly take everyones opinions as the law....... :whistling:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I forgot to mention that $575 + tax is about right for gunshops around here. You can find one cheaper off the net no doubt, usually around $500, but then it has to be shipped (usually around $25) and then your FFL fee (which for me is $35). If this is your first gun just getting it from a shop might be your best bet.

Regarding 9mm, I've obviously not shot anybody with it (!), but I think I'd be happy with its performance. All my 9mm guns are loaded with 124 gr +P Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points. This is a pretty common police round (NYPD uses it) and it generally regarded as a good stopper.

For me, the key is I find 9mm to just be more accurate in my hands. If I'm not hitting my "target" C.O.M, then what difference does it make? The old expression about a miss with a cannon or a hit with a pea shooter applies. You'll want to be somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.

As it happens, I also shoot .45 better than .40. My only entry in that category is a German Sig 220, which is VERY accurate, but I plan to add a Glock 30 soon (rented one and was VERY impressed with its accuracy as well).

.40 isn't uncontrollable by any means. I'd sort of bought into the "hype" of the round when I went shopping for my first gun. I just had to have a gun in .40. Now, I know better, and I think I'm better for it.

Remember, you should shoot the "biggest" caliber round YOU can shoot accurately.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off, go shoot one for yourself if you can. Second, dont let anyone on here tell you about recoil this or that. I bought a G19 (same size frame as the 23) about 2 months ago. I got it because it fit my hand very nice and the 9mm would be less recoil for my wife, and it is the one she picked out of the lineup at the gun shop. The G19 is our home defense weapon. I really wanted to get the G27 because of the smaller design. My wife didnt like the feel of the 27 like I thought she would have. I have shot the G19 a lot and love it. It is a great gun. I started looking at the G27 a little more, but heard everyone on here talking about how snappy it is and this and that. Well, I couldnt find one to shoot but said "F" it and bought a G27 (I get the Blue Label LEO discount). Let me tell you, I shoot better with the 27 than I do with the 19. The recoil isnt bad at all. Yes it is a little more than the 19 but nothing to sweat over. My buddy has a G22 (Full size .40) and the recoil isnt bad on that one either. Get what you want, what you will be comfortable with and what you will use. This board is excellent for a lot of information but dont neccesarilly take everyones opinions as the law....... :whistling:
I have heard that a lot from people about getting what best fits me. The sub compact .40 is to small for me when I shoot it so i probably wont go for that one but I will shoot it again and see. Thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
One other thing: See how fast you can get off accurate follow-up shots with the .40. That was a big deciding factor in me dumping that caliber. Pretty much any school of thought (Gabe Suarez, Cooper, Yeager, Paul Howe) will tell you to dump several rounds in an adversary as fast as you can accurately do it. Microseconds may count. You can't expect any handgun cartridge to magically put some bad guy on his tush with one shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently bought a G23 for my first gun. I didn't find the recoil too snappy at all. I personally think a 23 is a little on the big side to conceal carry but that doesn't mean its impossible. The .40 s&w isn't too bad to find. I've recently had a much easier time finding .40 than 19 mm. 575 seems to be about average. I live in NH and new ones are sold for around 525. We also don't have sales tax either. Like everyone else says shoot a few diff guns see what you like. IMHO a G23 is a great gun and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Ah yes, recoil. The 40 S&W is a bit of a snapper. My G23 recoils with more felt force than my Para-Ord 10-45 - and that is a small .45ACP pistol, with a 3" barrel. But then that 165 gr. .40 is steaming out at 950+ fps. as opposed to 700+ for the 230 gr roundnose. The Para's grip is much shorter than the Glock's, but a bit fatter, so hanging on ability is about equal on those two weapons. It's all a bit relative on first shot, but repeat rounds are much easier to deliver with the 45 ACP. Most defensive type handgun calibers can be mastered, and the most effective round's are going to give you some degree of stout recoil - or they would not be that good as a defensive round. Good Luck.

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
Does anyone here carry a 23?
You're joking, right? :embarassed:

OK, just pulling your leg since you are new. The G-19 used to be the most talked about "new purchase" item but lately there has been a surge in G-23 buyers. Anecdotal, I know, but a few others have noticed it.

I agree with emb about the size of the pistol; it's just right for me. My only Glock is a G-32, which is the same as the G-23 but with a different barrel. Which brings up a good point.

If you purchase the G-23 you can convert it to .357sig with merely a barrel swap. All other parts, including magazines, remain the same. You can also convert it to 9mm with an aftermarket barrel, Glock 9mm magazines, and --- if you plan on carrying it for self-defense --- a G-19 extractor. Three calibers in one platform, in other words.

If you purchase a G-19 it will always remain a 9mm.

But the best advice is to shoot both and determine which you think is better. Both calibers are perfectly suitable for self-defense and for outdoors/woods I would say .40S&W is better than 9mm. That's not to try to influence your decision. I always carry my G-32 when in the outdoors/woods but for home defense I almost always have my 9mm (non-Glock) pistol assigned for duty.

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
the G23 is "the perfect gun". shoot it and you'll see. it will take a bit more range time (not a bad thing) and you'll see the .40 is sporty.
Yes, I forgot to add that part in my last post.

The naysayers have told me and others forever that .357sig/.40S&W isn't preferable because of the sharper recoil vis a vis 9mm. Well, it's a matter of practice and familiarity; and there are too many top shooting champions who take their crowns with .40S&W for anyone to claim you can't be fast and accurate with that caliber.

There's also as wide an array of ammo weights and bullet designs that are offered in that caliber compared with 9mm, so you aren't going to be faced with a narrow range of ballistics options if you end up choosing the G-23.

·
Giggity-Goo!!!
4,046 Posts
The G35 was my first because prior to buying one, the one that I rented felt great and I was very accurate with it. After that I got the G23 and love it too. .40S&W ammo is everywhere so I'm well stocked. I've carried it and it was good, but I rather carry my G27:

You can't really go wrong with any Glock. All the ones I have fit me and love the recoil.

Good luck on your Glock 23.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.