Glock Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking about what happens when you compare the Glock 23 40S&W to the Glock 29 10mm. This looks like a no brainier right? When you look at them side by side you see that the G23 is lighter, slimmer, holds more rounds and has a longer barrel. The G29 is shorter, fatter and is of course 10mm.
So, if we were to compare let's say Hornady critical defense in the 175gr in both calibers, how would that come out? We know this is a neutered 10mm offering. Would the G29 be more or less effective?
To bump it up a notch, what happens when you compare something like the Underwood offerings in equal bullet weights? Does the G29 then totally outshine the G23?
My son has a G29 and I have a G23, we plan to get together and solve this pondering through the chronograph.
I'm curious to see what others have to say.
Oh, and yes I have looked, no one has done this comparison on YouTube or talked about it on line.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
You can get substantially more velocity from the G29 (given equal weight bullets when running very hot 10mm loads like Underwood, BB, etc.).

On the other hand, how much is enough is also a valid question. Unless you are going into bear country, or plan to shoot through car doors, etc., I suspect the 40S&W is going to be more than enough for most occasions.

If you think the G23 with factory loads falls just slightly short, you can always take up reloading and load up your own "heavy 40's" that will rival most anything you can buy in 10mm. There is a thread over in the Gun Related Clubs section under the .40S&W sub-forum, where a guy (SDGlock23) who has forgotten more about loading hot 40's than most will ever learn, has a very informative thread on loading "Heavy 40's".

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/heavy-40-s-w.1540504/

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
11,276 Posts
I went through this very same thing a few years ago. I own both and am confident that either gun will do whatever I need as far as personal defense.

Here's what I found in my research: All things being equal, the 29 will give you more power than the 23.
I chonographed 165 Gr. bonded loads from DT in both calibers from my personal guns.
G23 was averaging about 1175FPS
G29 was averaging about 1350FPS

My handloads worked up to SAAMI max (but not above) gave me the following:
G23 180 Gr Gold Dots averaged 1200FPS.
G29 180 Gr Gold Dots averaged 1385FPS. The muzzle flip was pretty heavy but controllable.
G23 165 Gr Gold Dots averaged 1230FPS.
G29 1410FPS.

Is it enough to make a difference in the real world? That's up to you. For me, it does make a difference and I chose the 29.

If you decide to reload nuclear, the 40S&W is a formidable round and will do whatever you need. But I don't reload defensive ammo, so again, I went with the 29.

Reactions: WeeWilly

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
For SD against humans, 180 gr .40 Gold Dot or HST is more than adequate. In a Glock 23, you get 13+1 in a thinner package and less recoil.

When you compare it to a 29 using Underwood ammo, the recoil difference is HUGE.

I keep a 29 loaded with 180 or 200gr Underwoods when I’m in big bear country, but anywhere In the SE, It’s a 23 for me.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
If I don't carry my 26 then my 29 gets the knod.. Now would I feel under powered with the 23, no...

·
Registered
584 Posts
A G23 was my 2nd Glock purchased and a G29 was the 4th. I tried to love the G29 but found that shooting a G20 was more fun when I was out to entertain myself. For SD carry, I could not get the same size groups with the G29 as I could the G23 and I found that I tended to carry it with the lighter Critical Defense loads. At that point, I realized that I had no use for the G29 and let it go. The G23 was perfectly fine for SD, felt better in my hand, carried and concealed better and carried more rounds. I now have a couple of G30s for EDC so I'm more comfortable with that short fat grip. I might give a G29 a try again some day to see if it makes more sense for me now than it did 5 years ago.

I still have that G23 though. Great gun.

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
So I have been thinking about what happens when you compare the Glock 23 40S&W to the Glock 29 10mm. This looks like a no brainier right? When you look at them side by side you see that the G23 is lighter, slimmer, holds more rounds and has a longer barrel. The G29 is shorter, fatter and is of course 10mm.
So, if we were to compare let's say Hornady critical defense in the 175gr in both calibers, how would that come out? We know this is a neutered 10mm offering. Would the G29 be more or less effective?
To bump it up a notch, what happens when you compare something like the Underwood offerings in equal bullet weights? Does the G29 then totally outshine the G23?
My son has a G29 and I have a G23, we plan to get together and solve this pondering through the chronograph.
I'm curious to see what others have to say.
Oh, and yes I have looked, no one has done this comparison on YouTube or talked about it on line.
When I lived in N Georgia bears and monster feral hog were a concern. I carried a G29 whenever I couldn't conceal a G20 or 1911 in 10mm. In fact I dropped a feral hog in my car port with a Delta Elite. But now I live in Texas where neither are a problem. Here I carry a G17/G19/G26/G43 unless I'm hunting. I have a nice G23 hasn't been fired in about 20 years.

·
Secret Squirrel
254 Posts
Yes I have both. One thing to know is that most folks can get a full grip on the G23. With the G29, without a baseplate extension most can barely get their pinkie on the grip if at all. Its a shorter grip. Its a trade off with the G29 shorter, and G23 thinner. With all that in mind I rarely carry the G23 concealed but the G29 has been IWB concealed a lot. These days the G29 is my woods/hiking/camping carry with 200gr hard cast just in case I run across an ornery black bear on the trail or during the night or most any other critter. Sometimes a heavier projectile at a faster velocity is nice to have and the G29 excels at that for concealed carry. On some of the trails I frequent concealed is the best option and I have had no problem with that with the G29. Of course the G23 is easier to shoot but thats beside the point when a bear is chasing you or tearing into your tent at 3AM.

·
23,138 Posts
I went through this very same thing a few years ago. I own both and am confident that either gun will do whatever I need as far as personal defense. Here's what I found in my research: All things being equal, the 29 will give you more power than the 23. I chonographed 165 Gr. bonded loads from DT in both calibers from my personal guns. G23 was averaging about 1175FPS G29 was averaging about 1350FPS

My handloads worked up to SAAMI max (but not above) gave me the following:
G23 180 Gr Gold Dots averaged 1200FPS.
G29 180 Gr Gold Dots averaged 1385FPS. The muzzle flip was pretty heavy but controllable.
G23 165 Gr Gold Dots averaged 1230FPS.
G29 1410FPS.

Is it enough to make a difference in the real world? That's up to you. For me, it does make a difference and I chose the 29.

If you decide to reload nuclear, the 40S&W is a formidable round and will do whatever you need. But I don't reload defensive ammo, so again, I went with the 29.
The only problem with loading the 40 "Nuclear" (beyond SAAMI Spec) is that Glock built the 40 on a 9mm frame and that platform is already maxed out as it is.

So it makes a lot more sense if you want to go "Nuclear" to do it with the 10mm instead of the 40.

Trying to stuff the most powerful cartridge in the smallest possible gun only results in less controllability, poorer accuracy, and slower follow-up shots.

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
11,276 Posts
The only problem with loading the 40 "Nuclear" (beyond SAAMI Spec) is that Glock built the 40 on a 9mm frame and that platform is already maxed out as it is.

So it makes a lot more sense if you want to go "Nuclear" to do it with the 10mm instead of the 40.

Trying to stuff the most powerful cartridge in the smallest possible gun only results in less controllability, poorer accuracy, and slower follow-up shots.
Agreed. That’s why I stuck with the 29 in 10mm.
It’s a personal choice, but I don’t see the need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.