close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock 23 slide lock spring

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by OP'S WORLD, Aug 9, 2006.

1. OP'S WORLD

OP'S WORLD

I have a 2nd gen mod 23 with about 10000 rnds through it and after a 200 rnd session i started cleaning it and noticed the slide lock spring had broke. has anyone else heard or had this problem?

2. BustedFlush

BustedFlush Springy Member

I never had one break but I've heard that this part does fail. It is not so common as to be a great concern.

Depending on age of your Glock, you might have had the older thin slide lock spring. If so the new part is more robust. It is easy to replace. If it breaks and your slide lock falls out your Glock will continue to shoot just fine. If you shoot the gun empty, drop the slide and dry fire on an empty chamber your slide will fall off, by design.

BF :cool:

3. OP'S WORLD

OP'S WORLD

it does look alot thinner than my new mod21 i ordered a new one, i wonder if i call glock if they would send me one ,i dont know how there service works, what really bites is now i have to carry my ruger p-89 in the truck till i get my little buddy fixed.

4. BustedFlush

BustedFlush Springy Member

They MIGHT send you one but I've heard they are usually only willing to send it to a local Glock armorer, since it is technically not a "user replaceable" part. Remember, we aren't supposed to do more than field strip the pistol. :upeyes:

It's worth a call. You can ask them for a free copy of the Glock annual while you are at it.

BF :cool:

5. bdcochran

bdcochran

I know of two people who had the slide lock/spring combo fail. Was the old model. You can buy on line. Two people I know replaced their old models in all their Glocks. I just keep spares on hand.

6. RandySmith

RandySmith

The older springs were 'wasp waisted' and were prone to breaking.

I have seen several.

Randy

7. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Exactly. The newer, wider-in-the-center spring is more forgiving but even so, I think the slide lock spring is the part that is most prone to breakage on a Glock pistol so the smart money is to always keep an extra one on hand.

8. T. Harless

T. Harless

The only breakage I've ever had that I didn't somehow cause was a Slide lock spring in a G30. One minute fix if you have the part. Keep spare parts!