Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a g23 used from a coworker. The person he had bought it from had put aftermarket Nightsights on it, and they are HUGE. Almost foolishly tall. After 300 rounds between myself and friend I find the gun shoots about 5" low at 30ft. Could lower sights fix this or am I crazy and just need more practice? I own a 22 and 27 with factory sights and shoot fine with them.

·
Registered
10,620 Posts
Could be if they weren't designed for the gun. Do you know if they were sized for the 23 or 19?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea. the rear sight is narrower than the slide by approx. 3/32" on either side and I just noticed an Allen set screw on the top of the rear sight. Front sight has no markings.

Also the rear sight is 7/32" tall.

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
No idea. the rear sight is narrower than the slide by approx. 3/32" on either side and I just noticed an Allen set screw on the top of the rear sight. Front sight has no markings.

Also the rear sight is 7/32" tall.
How tall is the front sight? For the sights to make the gun shoot significantly low, the front sight would have to be too tall, or the rear sight too short. That shouldn't be difficult to determine. Have someone with a G23 that shoots to POA measure their front and rear sights and see if they're exactly the same height. If so, then yours should also be exactly the same height. If they don't match specs, then they should be replaced.

The easiest fix, of course, would be to replace them with a properly matched set of sights, whether tritium or not.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to anyway as the tritium is on its last legs. even in low light they are not very bright.

·
Rope Czar
3,006 Posts
Check the barrel lug for a small crack due to a worn recoil spring. That's the only time my G23 shot low. (It's also how I got a new one fro glock)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the barrel lug for a small crack due to a worn recoil spring. That's the only time my G23 shot low. (It's also how I got a new one fro glock)
ok, even more fun.

I just dissambled to check the barrel lug... and my gun fell apart. The Lasermax "spontaneously dissasembled" the slide release lever fell out and it looks like half of the large pin is missing. see photos.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know its filthy I ran 300 rnds through it last night and was going to clean it tonight.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Looks to me time for a new pin and off you go.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you think that's all? I am concerned about why it broke though. I bought gun 3rd+ hand, so if that's worn to breaking should I be concerned about the rest of the internals?

·
~ Old Warrior ~
530 Posts
That thing looks like it's been "rode hard and put away wet"! (Figure of speech)

Tear it down and clean it up good. Inspect all the parts and replace the questionable ones and get new sights.

I'll bet you'll experience a totally different gun! :supergrin:

·
Rope Czar
3,006 Posts
Perhaps you just send it to Smyrna and more than likely it will be re-armored, or you'll get a damned near new one with some spare mags and swag to boot.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree with these guys, looks like it's been put through its paces and then some. Inspect it well and if there seems to be anything more than the pin you might consider going ahead and sending it back. May want to do that anyway.

Keith

·
Rope Czar
3,006 Posts
Like I said, check your barrel lug too. This is what will happen when the recoil spring wears out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I opted not to send it back to GLOCK. UPS wanted $90 to send it. Instead I took the $90 to Four Seasons in Woburn, Ma. Jim put on new Trijicon night sights and replaced the faulty pin and a weak trigger spring. Its like a whole new gun.

Now I just need to run about 500-1000 rounds through it before I can carry it without worrying.

·
Rope Czar
3,006 Posts
Well, I opted not to send it back to GLOCK. UPS wanted $90 to send it. Instead I took the $90 to Four Seasons in Woburn, Ma. Jim put on new Trijicon night sights and replaced the faulty pin and a weak trigger spring. Its like a whole new gun.

Now I just need to run about 500-1000 rounds through it before I can carry it without worrying.

Ship it FFL next time. It cost me $25 to ship my G23 back. :whistling:

And it came back an almost new gun (the serial number was 4 months old) it had mepro-lights on it, and 3 more mags... So for $25 I got a LNIB gun ($450ish), night sights ($90) and 3 mags ($60) +free glock schwag (priceless).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doh! and here I thought I got a deal just buying the night sights :crying:

The happy family reunited.

·
Intergalactic
4,127 Posts
Like I said, check your barrel lug too. This is what will happen when the recoil spring wears out.
Hmmm...
Running very light recoil springs regularly hasn't caused any issues like this for me.
(11# 13#)
Guess that's not the same thing....

Eh...you should have sent it back to Glock and maybe they would have relieved you of that LaserMax
:supergrin:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh. I took that out before I ever thought about having it sent to Georgia. I'm sure the armorer would have "replaced all factory parts" for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts