Glock Talk banner

Glock 23 & reloading??

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Fireglock 
#1 ·
I'd like to get a G23 and get into GSSF, however, the people on the general Glock Forum seem to be reluctant to reload for this caliber. If I can't reload for the G23 I will not buy one. All my shooting is done with reloads. I shoot a Strayer Voigt Infinity 40S&W in limited USPSA and a Sig Pro 40S&W in SSP for IDPA. I use N320 powder and 180 grain Montana Gold jackted bullets. I have shot thousands of rounds in these guns with no problem. This is just to let you know I'M not a novis reloader. I need some feedback as to any problems with the G23 when it comes to reloading. I'm hoping there is no problem with the G23, if there is not I plan to order one next week(and yes I can order one--I have a FFL). One further question, what is the power factor for the 40S&W in GSSF?

#2 ·
I've shot nothing but reloads through my G24C for two years without problem. Keep you rloads light for GSSF because there is no power factor minimum to meet.

#3 ·
The good news is, there are no power factors in GSSF. Your loads just have to cycle the gun, but the gun has to be "stock" unless you are going to shoot in Master/Unlimited class. This means you can't use a lighter recoil spring, or any other tricks to be able to use lighter loads. You should also know that if you get a malfunction with Factory ammo, you can reshoot, but If you are using reloads, you cannot reshoot.

I was a little tentative about reloading .40 as well. After doing some research, I don't think that reloading .40 is any more dangerous than any other caliber, and Glocks are no more likely to kB than any other brand. I've been reloading for my 35 for a few years now with no problems.
However, you should still use good reloading practices: back off your favorite load 10%, and work back up, checking for pressure signs. You might also ask for opinions on the reloading forum.

#4 ·
I have been reloading for Glock .40's for only about 4 years and I shot my G23 with my reloads for 2 years in GSSF and there are absolutely no problems. I use West Coast 180gr RNFP bullets and Winchester WST powder for a very light load since there are no PF to worry about in GSSF. The only reason I am not shooting my G23 now in GSSF is because I have a G22 that I put a set of Bomar sights on and seem to shoot it more accurately.

With the reloading experience you seem to have you should have no problems. I have not shot any of the Montanna Gold bullets but have heard good reports about them, I do load my WC 180gr RNFP to an OAL of 1.133 to 1.135 for all my Glocks and they function great.

G
#5 ·
The last 2 GSSF events I won were with 40's (22 and 24) using those dreaded lead bullets. Like these guys indicated, light loads and quality components. Don't overlook the Nosler 135's with WST in a light loading. Shoots really well from my guns. The 180/WST load is one of the most popular and I intend to try it soon.

Good luck.

Mike F.

#7 ·
Been reloading for a G23 for about 10 years, close to 250,000 rounds and not a problem so far.

6.0 Gr WSF behind a 180Gr JTC bullet by just about any major bullet maker makes for a nice round that isn't at all difficult to control.

In a G27, it's a bit more pronounced, but there's less gun there for any bullet.

DanH

#8 ·
Originally posted by Fireglock
I shot a 23 all last season with 3.8 of WST behind a 180 gr bullet, either a Westcoast RNFP or Zero FMJ. Out of 30,000 rounds probably 25,000 were this load. No problems.
Ditto for me as well. We use the same brass, powder, and even the same press. I did load some with 4.3 of WST for the G24C that I shoot in Competition Class, had an occasional cycling problem with the 3.8 in the compensated pistol (may have been limp wristing or the pistol may have been dirty), but never a problem in the G23.

#9 ·
Duck Of Death, I would say to you "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR" go get that 23 and reload like that rest of us and enjoy the savings.
I two have a 23 and I load 4.0 grains of titegroup with Winchester small pistol primers, and 180 Montana gold FMJ in ONCE fired brass and I think the hole KABOOM BS is just that BS. (Load smart!)
Enjoy your 23 and I know you will love it.

Sniper

#10 ·
I ordered the G23 on the 10th of May, along with 6 mags and a Fobus Roto belt holster. I think I'll also get a DeSantis Mini Scabbard 019 for the Glock 23. So I'm on my way into Glocking. I do worry about the safety of the gun and plan to carry it in condition 3, and probably will even compete with it in condition 3. It will be slower but I'll feel better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.