Glock Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new Glock 23 and I planned on reloading for it. I was just getting started and one of my manuals says don't reload .40 for Glocks??? I bought a Lee deluxe 4 die set, Zero 180 gr. bullets, Starline brass, and use a Dillon 550. Can I reload for this pistol?

·
local trouble maker
9,139 Posts
Option 1. No this is a very dangerous gun and is going to blow up and hurt or kill you. you should send it to me and i will keep it safe.:whistling:

Option 2. thousands of guys have made millions of rounds for it and still are. Just stay away from the top end of the reloading charts and keep the pressure in reasonable range and you will be fine.:cool:

Yes I have had a kaboom in my G23. it was caused by American Eagle ammo.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also reload for mine. And, I've also only started reloading within the last year. That surely means mine will KB.:yawn:

I think reloading is simply about paying attention. If you get interrupted, are unsure, or something simply 'felt weird' about that particular case, dump it out, or pull it down, and keep going.

I use a Lee Classic Turret, and spent quite a while setting up my dies, and getting everything running just like I want. I also try not to stop reloading between stages. I'll complete a round before stopping to answer the phone, or do something else.

I also only punch holes in paper, so I don't need a top-of-the-chart max load.

·
Jacks #1 Fan
6,210 Posts
I started reloading on a LCT primarily 9mm for my G34. In the natural progression, i moved on to loading .40 for my G23 and G27. A few months later, the LCT has gone the wayside to a friend and I have moved on a good deal to a Dillon SDB for my pistol only reloading needs. My target / match load 4.1g WST with a MG/PD 180g FMJ and CCI #500 SSP's loaded at 1.125 inch. Runs reliably in my stock G23 and G27.

·
Crimping Master
504 Posts
I'll add that you shouldn't use cases that you don't know the history of. So called "once fired" cases may mostly be once fired, but some of them may have been fired multiple times. 40S&W cases get worked more than most other cartridge cases because most 40S&W chambers are not completely supported. Just don't push it and you'll be fine.

Also, your biggest concern should be making sure the cases are sized down enough to put good tension on the seated bullet. Lack of case tension on the bullet can cause a bullet to setback in to the case which can raise pressue and result in a KB. Note that taper crimp does not increase the case tension on the bullet. All it does is remove the flare from the belling step.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.