close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 23 recoil

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by russelldehart, Sep 12, 2002.

1. russelldehart

russelldehart El Tamalon

I have often seen people on this board comment that that the recoil of the 40 S&W was a harsh. A few have even sworn off the round and complained that it was painful to shoot. I figured that these people were just whiners who wanted the firepower of an elephant gun with the recoil of a BB gun. But yesterday I got a glimpse of what they were talking about.

I got a box of Speer Lawman 165 gr. because the range was out of the Winchester and UMC 180 gr that I usually use. This ammunition had the worst muzzle flip and flash that I have ever seen! It was much worse than the Federal 155gr. HydraShok that I have been using as my carry round. To control the recoil I had to shoot two handed and the flash was very noticeable even on a well lit range. Although the recoil wasn't painful I could see how for some people it might be.

After all of the recommendations that I have read on this board for the Speer Gold Dot ammunition I was considering giving it a try this winter, but if it's anything like the Lawman I think I'll stick with my HydraShok.

Has anyone had a similar experience with this or any other ammunition?

2. Ookster

Ookster

I've shot some Speer Lawman 357sig out of my converted G22. It didn't seem much harsher than other target loads I've used in the past (Win white box and Remington UMC mostly). The stainless steel guide rod and heavier recoil spring I'm using have really helped take a lot of the snap out of the recoil.

3. Bolo

Bolo Millennium Member

Lawman is probably the hottest "target" ammo out there. Pretty comparable to Gold Dots in the recoil department.

4. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Speer Lawman is fairly hot. I wouuld suggest you put a 20 or 22lb recoil spring in your G23.

5. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Lawman ROCKS!!!

It aint wimpy. I'd love to have a few cases of that stuff to blast.

6. JoeG19

JoeG19 1965

The G23 I had with Hydra Shoks had more flip than my G30. I sold the 23 for that reason. It was very uncomfortable for me to shoot. Id didn't get the G30 till several years later. I do have arthritis in both hands from years of shooting the old NRA PPC course w/ a wheel-gun. And those were wadcutters....but a lot of them. If Ammo-Lab is on target, the new Premium Hydra Shoks in 9mm(P9HS1) and .45(P45HS1) look good. I've not checked the 40 results. - 'ole joe :cool:

7. alfred guard

alfred guard

My glock 23 was like that I put in a 22ILB RECOIL SPRING FROM WOLFF SPRING, THIS WAS A GOOD MOVE SHOOTS GREAT.

8. russelldehart

russelldehart El Tamalon

Thanks for the recoil spring suggestion guys. Before I do it I have a couple of questions.

Will a stronger recoil spring effect the feeding of lower powered ammo like the Winchester or UMC target ammo I frequently use?

I noticed that Wolf was mentioned. Are there any other brands that are good?

Also where is a good place to order from?

9. Ookster

Ookster

Check out Glockmeister and Top Glock for the springs and guide rods. I use an uncaptured SS guide rod with a 20# spring in my G22, and it has no problems feeding the lightest of loads in either .40 or 357sig. You might want to order a few different weight springs and see which one you like best. Just be sure to thoroughly test it for functioning reliability. For a carry gun, you should probably err on the side of reliability rather than comfort. I only use my G22 at the range, so I'm not real worried about it. But at the same time, I've not had a single cycling problem or malfunction since I went with the heavier spring. And it has made the gun much more pleasant to shoot.

Ookster

10. austinglocker

austinglocker

i picked up a 23 a few weeks(own a 26 too) a go and i love it. im looking at a 27 now. i am "new" to pistols somewhat. the recoil when i first shot it was not even worth an afterthought. after shooting my 26 for hundred rounds i broke out the 23. i liked the recoilc because it felt different. the 26 flips up to me and the 23 comes back into my hands. i was "anxious" when i loaded her up and squeezed the trigger but it is nice. go get it- now

11. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I find a tight grip and holding the grip as high up as possible helps with the recoil. You just have to get use to it. But, if you have a loose grip it can beat you up. I own a G-23 and G-27. They are fine pistols indeed.

12. russelldehart

russelldehart El Tamalon

Good point DonGlock26. I had allready run through over 100 rounds of Winchester white box stuff and Federal Hydrashok when I got into the Speer loads. Maybe it was a combonation of hotter loads and my grip was starting to weaken a little. As much as I hate to do it I guess I'll have to go back to the range and do a little more experimentation ;).

13. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Get the Wolff non-captive steel guide rod and a good 21/23 # recoil spring and you won't look back!

Even 357 sig and 10mm are fun to shoot - if you have the right setup.

14. IDCG

IDCG

Just try some 135 gr Triton or CorBon for some real pain.

The yellow box UMC 180 gr is pretty soft shooting.

I then ran the 135 gr CorBons and had to double up on hearing protection! That stuff was loud!

Lastly, I ran about 30 rounds of 155 gr Silvertip and that was warm.
    For me, I will practice with the UMC and run Silvertips occasionally to rotate out my carry ammo (the Silvertips).

:)

15. FORTY

FORTY Millennium Member

You could, as has been suggested, change out the sprimg in a G-23 that I assume worked with all of these different loads you alluded to.

Or; as an alternative, you could refrain from buying any more of the Lawman 165gr ammo [as well as an unnecessary spring]. If you like the 155gr Hydra-Shocks, and you shoot them well; you don't need to change a thing. The 155gr. Hydra-Shock is damn sure going to settle any issues that can be settled with a pistol....if you don't miss. If you do miss, then it REALLY doesn't matter. The difference betwixt your current .40 Cal carry load, or anything lighter or heavier, or faster or slower; only matters if you're attacked by gelatin.

If you're getting fast and accurate shots off with the 155gr HS, the flash and blast are tolerable, the 180gr loads seem analoguous to your carry load, and your carry load is utterly reliable; why would you change?

Carry what YOU shoot the best. Practice with the load that best emulates it. The "Find the load that is most obnoxious and uncontrollable, and then carry it." theory has little to recommend it.

I practice with, and carry, 180gr loads exclusively, in my G-23 and G-27. I do not feel poorly armed. If Marshall and Sanow, Masters and Johnson, or Abbot and Costello feel differently; they can carry something else.

16. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    Recoil and blast are subjective.

Steel J frames are the smallest thing I want to load with full power .357's...

In my 3" 629, medium power 300 gr JSP's kick less than full power 240 gr JHP's. 240 gr LSWC Specials are a piece of cake.

Some days a 9x19 is all I want to shoot.

And there are the guys who shoot 454's, heavy 45 Colts, and the bigger rounds.

Time for a beer.;c ;c

17. Rocketman

Rocketman Director - FFTC

I don't understand. My G23 has over 68k rounds through it. Never had a problem with recoil and I'm no Arnold Swartzenegger. Even shooting the top end loads from Speer, Remington, et al, the gun is no more uncomfortable to shoot than a G19 with full house loads. Bounce around? Sure! Its a hotter caliber, but its a totally controlable gun. Recoil "IS" subjective, but the G23 is not really tough on the shooter. Just my opinion...

18. russelldehart

russelldehart El Tamalon

I guess I should have been a little more specific in my original post. I'm not saying that there was a problem with the recoil, I was just commenting that it was hotter than my usual target ammo. I have shot some pretty hot .44 and .41 Magnums and with the exception of one single action Ruger I have never experienced what I would consider too much recoil.

My concerns about switching to Speer GD ammo is actually more about muzzle flash. I don't want to be blinded by the flash from my first shot in a low-light situation. I figure if I can see it on a well lit range it's going to be very noticeable and blinding at O-dark-30.

I went back to the range yesterday and picked up another box of Lawman and two boxes of S&B. I shot the Lawman first and although the flash was still noticeable the recoil seemed to be tamer. It still had more punch than the S&B, but was more manageable even shooting one handed. After firing 50 rds of lawman and another 50 of S&B I found that the recoil seemed to be getting stronger. This led me to believe that my grip is starting to weaken after about 100 rounds.

I mentioned this to one of the employees at the range and he suggested that I might be gripping the gun too hard and fatiguing my hand. Oh well, more motivation to get back to the range.

19. Rocketman

Rocketman Director - FFTC

Ah, that makes thing a bit clearer. If you're looking for a carry ammo that performs very well and has a very low muzzle flash from the G23, then Remington Golden Saber in 165gr is your best bet. Its all I carry, on duty and off...

20. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Just close your eyes before each shot, like I do... ;9

Wouldn't anything that blinds you, blind the person on the recieving end worse? Especially if the round hits them in the eye ;) ? OK, OK, you're right, it's better to be able to see at all times, but I just don't see it as that big of a worry...