close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 23 recoil question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GlockGuy24, Oct 17, 2004.

1. GlockGuy24

GlockGuy24

How is the recoil of a Glock 23 compared to a Glock 19? I never shot a 40cal and I want to get eighter a Glock 19 or a 23. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the recoil from the Glock 23. I mean is it alot more then the Glock 19? I wish I can shoot the Glock 23 but the ranges that are where I live don't rent guns. I hear that the Glock 23 is very snappy. I can shoot and handle the Glock 19 very well with no problem. Can you get quick follow up shots with the glock 23? Please reply. If the recoil is barely more then the 9mm them I will go with the 40cal.

2. mdm3

mdm3

I have both and don't really notice too much of a difference in recoil when I'm shooting 147 grain with the G19 and 165 grain with the G23. If I go with 115 grain with the G19 though I can go through alot of rounds without the palm of my hand right under the thumb getting "tired". If I shoot about 200 or so with the G23 my hand starts to get worn out. It could be I'm just a wimp though!;) If you like the G19 then the G23 will be a great fit as well. I carry the G23 daily since the accuracy is the same for me with either. Good luck!

3. cactusman

cactusman Ammo Squirrel

When I sold one of my G19s earlier this year to buy a G23 I really wondered what the recoil was going to do to my shooting. Mostly after reading all of the "my wrist hurt" and "way too much muzzle flip!" comments.

Anyway, I took along my G17 along with an assortment of ammo for it and started shooting the G17 first. (I had my trusty G19 on my hip too, as it's still my CCW until I fully test out the G23.)

100 rounds of 124-grain +P Speer Gold Dot all shot rapid fire into multiple targets at different ranges behind cover and while moving. Lots of fun!

Next up was my new G23, same drill as my G17. After three magazines I stopped my drill for a moment to look at the side of the slide -- as I thought I had forgot to take my G19 out of my Safariland holster and put the G23 in! To my (pleasant) surprise the slide said .40 on it! And it wasn't kicking any harder than my G19 does with GD +p HPs.

Okay, so I own a wide variety of handguns and am used to 45, 357 mag, & 44 mag recoil, but seriously, in a realistic shooting practice (two hand hold with a very firm wrist and grip) I could not tell the difference in recoil between my G19 with 124-grain +P ammo and my new G23 with 165-grain ammo. -- The only time that I could tell that the G23 had a bit more muzzle flip was when I did some true slow-fire target shooting to see how well the G23 shot. (Which was very well BTW! -- Same groups I can get with a 9mm.) -- Now the G23 does have noticably more recoil than a standard pressure 9mm round, but not much more perceived recoil than a 9mm +P round, IMHO.

Recoil is subjective, but if anyone is looking for at getting a G19 or a G23 and can't decide, try them both out -- while shooting them just like you would in a self-defense scenario, with the type of ammo you would use in them on the street. Then see how the recoil stacks up. My guess is you will find that you can shoot the G23 just as well as the G19; if you're using +P or +P+ ammo in the G19 that is. At least this is my experience, your millage may vary.

4. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

The .40 does have more recoil/flip.
    Not a dramatic differenc by any means but it's there.
    I notice it more in rapid fire.The 9mm gets back on target quicker for me.

5. MPA249

MPA249

Not to highjack the post but I have been looking at the same thing. I enjoyed my 19 and regret getting rid of it. I was looking at maybe a 23 this time especially since the ban is gone. Has anyone used the dual recoil springs (captured) as seen on some of the internet sites does this reduce muzzle flip "as advertised" and does it have any effect on reliability. The recoil is not bad for the 40 but heck if I can get it to shoot just as reliably, with less muzzle flip and less recoil why not?????

6. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

G23 recoil is "snappy."

I like it.

7. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

I have tested the G26 and the G27 side by side. Both were using Federal Hydra-Shoks and I felt no noticeable difference in recoil between the two. Both of my brothers and my dad all agreed that there was not noticeable difference.

I have shot several G19's and G23's (though never side by side) and have never really thought one was harder to shoot than the other.

I think the recoil issue is so lame. Maybe it is because I have been shooting the .40 from the start and I am used to it but I can't really see a difference. Oh well.

8. fiberpig

fiberpig

23 is awsome. Don't need to change the recoil spring, I found it surprisingly nice to shoot. Recoil is not an issue at all. If you get one stock up on ammo. I can't get enough, 23 is that much fun to shoot, it's a keeper. I've owned a 26,27, and now the 23. I've had .380's, .32's, .357's, different makes.manufacture of pistols and the 23 blows 'em all away.;D ;+ ~2 ^c

9. digitspaw

digitspaw RIP 08/95~09/09

^6
    My experience/opinion is a "double ditto"! Buy one!;j

10. mccarlson

mccarlson

It really, really depends on the load your shooting. For example, the difference between shooting Wolf 180gr vs Triton Hi-Vel 135gr rounds is exceptional. (the Triton have that snap some people don't like, while the Wolf feel like a subsonic .45) The only sure thing to do is to try for yourself. I chose .40 for it's ballistics and other reasons (FBI... Ahem...) and then taught myself to shoot it so recoil didn't matter much.

11. Grayhawk

Grayhawk

I couldn't help responding to this post. I own a 23 along with a 21 & 30. When I fire 180gr. bullets it's somewhat uncomfortable. I would much rather shoot my 35Rem T/C or my 629. The checkering on the back of the 23 tattoos my hand. After putting a slip-on grip over the base Glock grip, I must admit it's better. I bought a box of 155gr, but haven't gone to the range so far.
    Grayhawk

12. U1121

U1121

I find that the recoil of the G19 and G23 to be more of a "push" rather than "snappy".

The G23 seems to have a bit more "push" than the G19.

From my experience, the G32 is "snappy"!

U1121

13. glockendoc

glockendoc

I am looking for a G23 -- I can always convert it later to a G19 by dropping in a Lone Wolf barrel like I did with my G27.
    The recoil issue isn't much of an issue really - the price issue is because 40sw costs 1.6 times as much per hundred rounds.
    On the other hand, I don't save much because I usually shoot the 9mm rounds so much and fast and alot more.
    The 357sig is even "snappier" -- but, again, not unpleasantly so.

I recommend the G23 as best gun-to-fit, though a littl less versatile than the G27.