GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm soliciting advice, but I think I know what to do. I've wanted a SIG 229 Elite for years, and finally found a Red Box version; 9mm, probably never issued, 40% off retail. Took it out, and with certain brands of factory ammo the stuff just wouldn't feed. Even from slide lock. Maybe 50% of every magazine wouldn't feed. Not double feeds, just the round would stop part way up the feed ramp. Other brands like Lawman and Fiocchi worked fine.
In fairness, the ammo was all stuff I recently purchased, like Norma and some Eastern European brands I don't recognize. BUT. My Glock 19 Gen 4, 5 WILL feed them.
I've been carrying a 19 or 23 for years, and I really wanted the 229 as my EDC for awhile. But I don't trust it. What if the day I need it, it jams on Gold Dot 124gr, which is my carry ammo?
I never send problem guns back to the factory. It's a huge PITA for me due to one miserable experience years age. The problem gun just goes into my safe.
What would you folks do? I've never had any of my G-19s or 23s fail. Ever. Is that the answer right there? Beautiful SIG 229 but my life relies on Glock? Thanks.

Cheers.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm soliciting advice, but I think I know what to do. I've wanted a SIG 229 Elite for years, and finally found a Red Box version; 9mm, probably never issued, 40% off retail. Took it out, and with certain brands of factory ammo the stuff just wouldn't feed. Even from slide lock. Maybe 50% of every magazine wouldn't feed. Not double feeds, just the round would stop part way up the feed ramp. Other brands like Lawman and Fiocchi worked fine.
In fairness, the ammo was all stuff I recently purchased, like Norma and some Eastern European brands I don't recognize. BUT. My Glock 19 Gen 4, 5 WILL feed them.
I've been carrying a 19 or 23 for years, and I really wanted the 229 as my EDC for awhile. But I don't trust it. What if the day I need it, it jams on Gold Dot 124gr, which is my carry ammo?
I never send problem guns back to the factory. It's a huge PITA for me due to one miserable experience years age. The problem gun just goes into my safe.
What would you folks do? I've never had any of my G-19s or 23s fail. Ever. Is that the answer right there? Beautiful SIG 229 but my life relies on Glock? Thanks.

Cheers.
The Sig should feed em all.
A local PD bought 220"s, 12 in total and 2 of them would malfunction on the feed cycle.
I noticed the feed ramp overhang was not adjusted correctly compared to a Pistol they said was reliable.
I adjusted the feed ramp length and polished the ramps on the 2 Jammers to the correct length and they Ran like Skim piss through a Tin Horn with everything, even the Speer 200 grain flying Ashtrays.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would not place a $600 intended EDC gun in the safe and i would not sell it to anyone. Are the lawman HPs. If they are, i would shoot enough so that i was confidant in its feed reliability. Gun need not shoot everything although you’d like it to. If it didn’t function or the speers were not HP i would return the gun for service. Whenit came back i would sell it or wring itout again with HP. Ammo. I had the same problem with a new 33. It failed to load speer gold dots but had no problem with federal or sig HPs. Sent it back and now it feeds everything from most 40/357 mags ( some don’t like speer still). Carried it for over 2 yrs. good luck. Sigs are fine guns.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

The Sig should feed em all.
A local PD bought 220"s, 12 in total and 2 of them would malfunction on the feed cycle.
I noticed the feed ramp overhang was not adjusted correctly compared to a Pistol they said was reliable.
I adjusted the feed ramp length and polished the ramps on the 2 Jammers to the correct length and they Ran like Skim piss through a Tin Horn with everything, even the Gold Dot 200 grain flying Ashtrays.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, Speer, both HPs and Lawman 124gr, Federal 115gr, Fiocchi, WWB, all run fine. You're probably right. I'm trying to run a batch of recent 9mm that's simply out of spec.
I'm going to stick with a few favorite brands and run the piss out of the gun. If it doesn't fail, then question answered. Thanks!
I would not place a $600 intended EDC gun in the safe and i would not sell it to anyone. Are the lawman HPs. If they are, i would shoot enough so that i was confidant in its feed reliability. Gun need not shoot everything although you’d like it to. If it didn’t function or the speers were not HP i would return the gun for service. Whenit came back i would sell it or wring itout again with HP. Ammo. I had the same problem with a new 33. It failed to load speer gold dots but had no problem with federal or sig HPs. Sent it back and now it feeds everything from most 40/357 mags ( some don’t like speer still). Carried it for over 2 yrs. good luck. Sigs are fine guns.

Reactions: Lola1

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I have a Sig 522 (.22 rifle) that would constantly jam. I was in denial, blaming the mags, blaming the ammo, on and on it went for a few years since it was essentially a range toy. Finally I got off my ass, sent it to Sig and it was back in a couple of weeks, ran perfectly from that moment on. Just send it in, they will make it 100% and you will have a very fine carry piece. My P229 runs like a machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
263 Posts
I shot the Sig and liked it but I wasn't fond of the double/single action and trigger pull. I like consistency in the trigger. I run my Glock 22 like a sewing machine. I never shoot below a 100% on my qual courses and I run very high on action/reaction drills.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Personally I would fix the Sig if that is what I wanted.

I have not tried a Gen 5 19/23 but that is for me if it fits, otherwise a Gen 5 G-22.

Reactions: Peabody811

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sort of have both, M11A1 and a G23g3. Both fit the same leather holster, both are very accurate although the sig will out shoot the G. My Sig is the last gun I would ever part with.
DSCN2762.JPG
You need them both.

·
NRA Life Member
4,843 Posts
Is it a long or short extractor model? Supposedly the long extractor gets some gunk build up at the spring, which can emulate a feed problem. try and lube it and work the extractor manually for a bit

Also did you try different mags in case the mag springs were weak?

I also have both guns....worth it

·
Registered
466 Posts

Cheers.
I carried a P229 every day from...1998 to 2015. Old School Sig Sauer. Ran perfect...never an issue.

If I had to do it today....G23. (G19 if 9mm)

Mostly because it it a heavier pistol to carry around all day.

[I'm not sure why you are having feeding issues with "other" ammo. Sure Gold Dots would run fine, but...

Sig is not the company they were in the late 90s early 2000 IMHO.]

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Long extractor. P229-1 Elite with EC2 grips and SRT. I'll likely stop being a baby and send it to SIG

Cheers.
Is it a long or short extractor model? Supposedly the long extractor gets some gunk build up at the spring, which can emulate a feed problem. try and lube it and work the extractor manually for a bit

Also did you try different mags in case the mag springs were weak?

I also have both guns....worth it

Reactions: nikerret

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I bought my P229 used and it's a German made .40S&W that runs on all of my reloads from mild to wild. I don't have a G23 (need to correct that soon) but if I did I would be looking for a gen 4 to handle the .40 caliber better. The G23 would be lighter to carry if weight is a factor or you are hiking longer distances but the accuracy of the 229 for me has proven notable.

Sorry to hear about your struggles but off to Sig for the fix sounds good.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I bought my P229 used and it's a German made .40S&W that runs on all of my reloads from mild to wild. I don't have a G23 (need to correct that soon) but if I did I would be looking for a gen 4 to handle the .40 caliber better. The G23 would be lighter to carry if weight is a factor or you are hiking longer distances but the accuracy of the 229 for me has proven notable.

Sorry to hear about your struggles but off to Sig for the fix sounds good.
I have 12 Glocks and 7 Sigs so I am a fan of both. In every single case, Sigs outshoot the Glocks with the same loads and same distances (not by much but the difference is noticeable). Also, in every case, the Glocks without exception carry better (I’m talking P-series Sigs btw, no experience with their striker line). I’ve never been able to carry a P-series Sig completely comfortably but I keep trying because they are such great shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
NRA Life Member
4,843 Posts
Long extractor. P229-1 Elite with EC2 grips and SRT. I'll likely stop being a baby and send it to SIG

Cheers.
Oil or clean out the extractor roll pin and spring. It might be part of the problem, especially if the gun sat awhile or not cleaned properly..

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oil or clean out the extractor roll pin and spring. It might be part of the problem, especially if the gun sat awhile or not cleaned properly..
That's exactly what I think. No holster wear, looks brand new. I think it just sat. Good idea. Thanks!

·
17,614 Posts

Cheers.
"I've never had any of my G-19s or 23s fail. Ever. Is that the answer right there? Beautiful SIG 229 but my life relies on Glock? Thanks."

That's your answer right there. The Glock has not only reliability, but total simplicity going for it, and is instinctive to operate under stress and your first shot will be the same as the last and quite often the first shot is the most important one.

The Sig P-series are very nice guns but they're heavier and bulkier than a Glock and the only one I would ever carry would have to be SAO that could be carried cocked and locked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts