Glock 23 or S&W m&p 4.40? Could use some input!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Easton512, Apr 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

I've owned both and both are good guns, you can't go wrong with either one. The G23 is a better suited to concealed carry, has a better trigger reset and mags are cheaper and more plentiful. The M&P .40 is a great range gun and can be carried, but it's a full-size service pistol. Mags can be tough to find when S&W's supplier is running behind, but it has a very ergonomic grip.

2. Birddog9

Birddog9 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I ran into a problem when I finally held an m&p. I have to say if they made a version with same dimensions as the 19/23 I'd be sold.

3. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

I have all three myself. You'll wish you got the 27 and not the M&P. The M&P compact is very close in size to the 29/30 Glocks. The barrel is longer than the 27 as is the slide. It's taller and weighs more than both the 27 and 23. The 23 fully loaded (14) weighs the same as the M&P 40C fully loaded (11).

Then there is mag compatibility and the new(ish) factory 22 rd. mags. I actually get more grip with the 27 and extensions than the 40C with extensions though the 40C is taller. The 27 has a lower bore axis. I rarely carry the 27 though even here in Florida. The 23 has a better balance IWB for me. The 27 seems to sit with the belt midway with it no cant. The 23 sits medium-low, better for running, bending, reaching and such at least for me.

4. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

:goodpost:

Agreed with above. Put the bullet where it needs to go and don't worry about the caliber. (Well, unless you're shooting a real mouse gun like a .380 or .32...) Practice with what you have, maybe pick up a Glock 26 or one of the true small 9mms like an LC9, Kahr PM-9, Kel-Tec PF-9. The advantage of the micro 9s is you will get your recoil fill without the cost of a bigger caliber. (Having had a PF-9, fired a Kahr MK-9, a KT P-11 and a couple of different small-framed .38s, I consider the Glock 26 the smallest "real" gun available. It doesn't compromise as much as the other designs, but it is harder to hide.)

If you really want something with more punch, get yourself a .357 Magnum revolver. No need for those widdle auto pistol rounds then. :whistling:

5. Easton512

Easton512

HAha agreed I do have 2 .357 S&W revolvers as well. I got what I was looking for (peoples own oponions), thanks everyone. And yes i have yet to go shoot either gun but that is on the agenda for the weekend.