Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to Glocks so I apologize if my terms aren't correct. I went shooting with my brother-in-law and when he was shooting my gen3 23 he had a couple malfunctions. I was unable to replicate the issue myself but he did show me what was happening. Basically it would fire a round, eject but not reset. By that I mean the slide would not go forward all the way. He would give the back of the slide a little tap and then it would reset and fire again. This happened 2 to 3 times. I field stripped it and didn't see any issues. When I put it back together I fired a couple mags through it with no problems. I took it home and cleaned and lubed. Hoping to go out this week and put some more rounds through it to make sure it's good. Any thoughts on what could have caused this? The gun is about 8 years old but it only has a couple thousand rounds through it. I clean and lube Everytime I shoot. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
That could happen if the slide stop lever is not properly placed but if it’s not happening when you shoot that’s not the issue in this case.

As said, most likely he’s pushing the lever up because of his grip.

Basically if it’s not returning to battery... the lever is pushing up for whatever reason.

Reactions: pgg00

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was my first thought too but I didn't want to be a dick and tell him he's shooting wrong. Thanks guys. I'm going to take it out this week and put some rounds through it just to be certain.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I agree that it could be a "riding the slide" issue. If not being "ridden" the slide should return to battery on its own. A weak RSA can cause what you are seeing. Ammo can also be a culprit.

You can check the RSA, see YouTube for a demo and if it persists, with the RSA and "riding the slide" eliminated, try different ammo.

Finally, makes sure the extractor is clean under the hook.

Good luck.

·
"Old Bill"
2,706 Posts

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
OP:
Your pistol is ready for a new recoil spring assembly, even if that is not a contributor to the described problem. That's the part that *wears out* most often.

Unrelated to your problem and based only on the age and usage that you report, the Trigger Spring could use replacement as well. That's the part that *breaks* most often in pre-Gen5 pistols.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, I plan on doing a detail strip and clean here soon and replacing the RSA and other springs will be done at the same time. Thanks for all the good info guys. I'm still going to take it out and test fire to be safe this week too.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Clean it, ensure that it is proper operating condition and have another "experienced" shooter fire the weapon to evaluate things.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
... Any thoughts on what could have caused this? The gun is about 8 years old but it only has a couple thousand rounds through it. I clean and lube Everytime I shoot. Thanks guys.
But have you ever replace the RSA? The older 40 caliber Glocks should have the RSA replaced every 2500 rounds. That is what I am thinking.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Couple thousand fired and eight years old.? Doesn’t need new springs or a detail strip at all. Since it worked fine for you he is either riding the slide or limp wristing- do not fix what is not broke

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Couple thousand fired and eight years old.? Doesn’t need new springs or a detail strip at all. Since it worked fine for you he is either riding the slide or limp wristing- do not fix what is not broke
Well I bought it used. Based on what the guy told me who sold it to me and how many rounds I've put through it I'm guessing it's around 2k rounds.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But have you ever replace the RSA? The older 40 caliber Glocks should have the RSA replaced every 2500 rounds. That is what I am thinking.
When I first bought it I put a SS RSA in. After this happened I swapped back to the factory RSA. It has a very low round count on it. I'll buy a brand new one here soon.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Get a new RSA. A weak one will show problems quicker with some shooters than others. The Glock is more sensitive to grip than metal guns, but if he’s holding it anywhere close to right then it should work. Too much blaming the shooter BS when a Glock malfunctions. It’s a combat handgun, so you shouldn’t have to hold it “just right” to make it work.
Change your trigger spring and slide lock spring while you’re at it, and you should be good to go for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts