Glock 23 Mag HELP

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glock 23 NY, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Glock 23 NY

Glock 23 NY

I have two 13rd mags right now for my Glock but they are NFML and the +2 extenstion I bought says it will only fit FMLM. Is this for a reason? I am trying it on my mags but it doesnt seem to fit right unless I only use 13rds. When I get to 15 it seems like it will fall off the bottom with enough force or if slapped up into the gun. Anyone esle have this issue??

2. Scott30

Scott30

Not exactly sure but my guess would be that the NFML mags could flex which would allow the extension to fall off the bottom, thus dumping the spring, ammo, plate and base onto the ground. Not a good scenario. The metal lined mags would not bend/flex like that.

3. Glock 23 NY

Glock 23 NY

So if I order 2 13rd FMLM for these two extentions I should be good. Has anyone had problems with GLOCK branded +2 extension on the newer mags?

4. Lotus000

Lotus000

Any reason you wouldn't want to just pick up G22 mags?

Edit to add...I don't mean this in a snarky way (just realized it could look like that). It just seems the easiest way to give a G23 a +2 capacity...rather than fiddle around with the +2 base, just grab a G22 mag.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Why are you wanting the +2 extension? If the extra 2 rounds is that important to you, get a couple of Glock 22 mags... they will protrude out the bottom, but you can have a Glock 23mag in the gun for carry, then keep the 22 mag for a backup.... Assuming we're talking about a carry gun here..

IGF

6. Glock 23 NY

Glock 23 NY

Point noted. I am new to Glocks this is my first so I should have done more research and realized that the 22 mag would work. I really anted to just extend the handle cause my pinky JUST fits right now with it stock, and with the extension it fits perfect. Does anyone have a 23 with any sort of extension just for the grip?

7. Lotus000

Lotus000

Hmmm....I don't know if the 27/26 style mag extensions (for the pinky) would work for the 23/19 given the different way the end of the grip is shaped.

Does your pinky hanging off really, really bother you that much? I know that when I grip my carry gun (23) I make sure to push-pull with both hands, but I'd say 95% of the 'oomph' comes from the first three fingers, and very little comes from the pinky.

If you have Gigantor hands, unlike me, maybe just grab a 22, but....well, those aren't that fun to CCW. I'd had to have you try to shoot a mouse .380!

8. hogarth

hogarth

I don't own a .40 Glock, but I'd always heard that +2 extensions on Glock mags are only +2 for 9mm, and only +1 for .40. So by trying to squeeze in a 15th round when it should only hold 14, well, that might be your problem right there. But I could be wrong.

9. j-glock22

j-glock22

agree on the flexing, I've tried this before years ago with my G22, and had a few hiccups, put the +2 bases on newer purchased FML's problems gone...

10. Glock 23 NY

Glock 23 NY

I just tried out 14 rounds in and it sits perfects. I will take it to the range tomorrow to ensure that the recoil does not cause any problems. Like I said I didnt realize that my mags were pre ban and were not fully metal lined. There seems to be no fitment issues now, but I definately do not want to be in the heat of the moment and have the bottom of my mag fall apart.

11. Glock 23 NY

Glock 23 NY

Anyone use the Glock +2 mag on NFLM?

12. Lotus000

Lotus000

And therein lies the reason I wouldn't fool around with a +2 extension for ANY of my carry guns, because I want 100% reliability. You MUST have 100% reliability in a carry gun.

If there is any inkling of adding a sub-standard part (in your case, the etension on the non-lined mags) I would just skip it. Would it be nice to have the extra capacity in a 'clean looking' form? Sure. Is it worth it to cause a point of weakness in your carry gun? Absolutely not.

If I were you, I

13. Lotus000

Lotus000

And therein lies the reason I wouldn't fool around with a +2 extension for ANY of my carry guns, because I want 100% reliability. You MUST have 100% reliability in a carry gun.

If there is any inkling of adding a sub-standard part (in your case, the etension on the non-lined mags) I would just skip it. Would it be nice to have the extra capacity in a 'clean looking' form? Sure. Is it worth it to cause a point of weakness in your carry gun? Absolutely not.

If I were you, I'd roll with either 22 mags as backup, or stay stock with 13 rounders.

14. Glock 23 NY

Glock 23 NY

with that being said is there just a grip addition i can put on it. This is a 2nd generation without the finger grips, so I dont want one designed to match the newer gen 3

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

The only one I'm aware of, is from Glockmeister. You seem to have the NFML mags, so you'd want the G1967S. It only adds "1" round, but maybe it will add the grip length you want...

http://www.glockmeister.com/ext.shtml

16. way2fast

way2fast

If I understand correctly (which is skeptical before my morning coffee) your primary reason for the extension was to provide support for your pinky.

If so, then don't worry about the 14th and/or 15th round.

But realistically it would be better to get a G22 mag for the added support. I say this because:
    A) Mr Murphy shows up when you dont want him to and perhaps it would be a bad time for a magazine failure. Especially since the extension is not designed for your mag.

B) If you have to use your firearm for SD, the less questions to answer the better..."So why did you feel you needed to modify you magazines to hold more ammunition?" says Mr Lawyer.

If in fact you just want 15 rounds of ammo for your G23, again use a G22 mag. or better yet buy the +13 round extension (another G23 mag). Not too expensive and cheaper per round than a mag extension.

IMHO the chances of 2 additional rounds from your primary mag being the "life or Death" determining factor in a SD situation is slim to none. You should carry at least one spare mag, not as much for the extra ammo but as much as for the fact that the magazine is the most prone component of an autoloader to fail.

Keep it simple avoid the mag extensions.

17. voyager4520

voyager4520

An assumption based on your screen name having "NY" in it, your current NFML mags are probably pre-ban and in certain areas that have 10-round capacity limits, the pre-ban "regular" capacity magazines are still allowed. If you were to order FML magazines you need to make sure it would be legal for you to buy/order them and own/carry them according to your local laws, especially concerning the pre-ban status and capacity of those magazines.