close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock 23 is double feeding

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gabeah, May 27, 2006.

1. gabeah

gabeah Guest

the gun is jamming with a double feed -a round most of the way into the chamber, then another round up against the back of the front round, and being squeezed with the slide open (you know, a double feed).

any likely reasons/causes why? gun is about 10 years old, and is clean.

i'm using winchester white box factory ammo (new). it's copper jacket, brass case, semi wadcutter.

please only post of you know what you're talking about. this is my home protection piece, so this is serious to me.

2. Sikhed

Sikhed cat-herder

Try a different magazine first.
    If that doesn't work, then suspect a bad magazine catch.

3. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

Well little buddy, it depends if the case which is in the chamber has been fired or not.

If fired, it's yer extractor.

If not fired, it's yer magazine.

4. ReAX222

ReAX222

Yep. I would suspect the magazine first, but I would also pull the extractor and swap with another or clean the heck out of it.

Plus I would run a box of quality ammo through it.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If you are using an aftermarket spring, it is too heavy.

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

? How do you mean?

I'd suspect a bad magazine or a magazine with oil on it/inside (you didn't lubricate your mags did you?)

I'm assuming you mean 2 live rounds are coming out of the mag after the fired round ejects. If the mag is letting one round pop out as the slide goes back and then stripping another, becausae the mag isn't retaining the top round well enough, that's the problem. buy some new magazines - you can't have too many. Don't clean them with anything oily.

7. Disciple

Disciple

Which spring, and how does it cause double feeds?

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

I'm guessing Danny is talking about an aftermarket mag spring, too heavy, possibly along with aged feed lips on well-used mags, could cause this. Feed lips on mags can be adjusted. Suggest you borrow someone's G22/23 mag in good condition and verify if your mag(s) are the culprit, assuming you are talking about both rounds being UN-fired. (If that's not the case, and one of them is the previously fired round, that's another matter entirely.)

:patriot:

9. gabeah

gabeah Guest

for future readers, i figured out the double feeding problem. it turns out my extractor had a big chip out of the bottom half of it, so it wasn't ejecting the spent case. the chip was caused my me trying to get jammed/stuck Wolf ammo cases out of the chamber when they would gum up. i couldn't see the chip on the extractor until i replaced the extractor with a new one and looked more closely.

i'm now back to 100% reliability.:cool: