Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Brand new to the pistol world and decided Glock was the best place to get started. I'm excited to begin carrying. I bought a gen 5 Glock 23 as well as a Streamlight tlr7. I have looked everywhere for an iwb that is compatible with this setup, and have found nothing. Does anyone know of a custom "made-to-fit" type holster place, or know if it is possible to alter a gen4 holster to fit a gen 5? Anything is appriciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hey guys! Brand new to the pistol world and decided Glock was the best place to get started. I'm excited to begin carrying. I bought a gen 5 Glock 23 as well as a Streamlight tlr7. I have looked everywhere for an iwb that is compatible with this setup, and have found nothing. Does anyone know of a custom "made-to-fit" type holster place, or know if it is possible to alter a gen4 holster to fit a gen 5? Anything is appriciated, thanks!
Highly recommend Werkz Holsters:

Gun accessory Gun barrel Handgun holster Metal Machine

Link:
Werkz M2 Ambidextrous IWB Holster for Glock 19 / 19x / 23 / 32 / 45 Gen 3/4/5 with Streamlight TLR-7 / TLR-7A / TLR-7A Contour Ambidextrous IWB

·
Banned
28,223 Posts
Glocks chambered in .40S&W with WML's have reliability issues according to several folks.

·
Banned
28,223 Posts
Ummm…the .40 cal Glock issue with WMLs was like 20 years ago on the gen3. Glock just sent our department new springs. Never had issues with any gen4 .40 and wmls.

OP, gen5 .40 cals have a slightly wider slide. Just make sure the holster maker specifies that it will fit a gen5 .40.

@Deputydave post in the same thread doesn't seem as confident as you. Of course that was 5 months ago.

No, it is more recent than that. Streamlight still has a warning on their website in regards to mounting their product on Glocks in 40 caliber.

We have been having an in-depth discussion about the WML issues for Glock 40's in the thread Night stand pistol: G22 or 19X. To include multiple failures of multiple G22's in a high profile police-action shooting. It became such an issue that at least a couple of agencies entirely changed to a new model. In short, I would never mount a WML on my G22.4. Some Glocks choke right out of the box. Some run fine and then choke down the road. Some do fine after a spring change and then choke later. It's a crap shoot with Glocks in 40S&W. Some may never have a problem, some the problem could develop suddenly. Part of the problem, imo, is the Gen 2-4 were basically 9mm pistols converted over to 40S&W rather than being designed for the 40S&W like Sig, S&W and HK pistols.

Will the Gen 5's have the same issue? Jury is still out. Will they run fine forever? Will they run fine then suddenly choke. We just don't know yet. Based on the performance of the other Glock gens in 40S&W I would not be willing to be a beta-tester.

·
Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,656 Posts
@Deputydave post in the same thread doesn't seem as confident as you. Of course that was 5 months ago.
All due respect to Chowser, the problems extended into the Gen 4’s as well and was not a 20 year old issue. It appears that it was never fully resolved in either the Gen 3 or 4. The referenced link has a lot of discussion on the G22 from multiple agencies dumping it due to issues. Some associated with a WML and some due to parts breakage.

In short, I don’t think I’d ever trust or own a Glock in 40S&W personally. Jury is still out on the Gen 5. If I were going to carry a striker-fired pistol in 40S&W it would likely be an M&P. It has a solid reputation and has seen round counts of 250k.

·
Mr. Awesome
12,810 Posts
Linking a holster designed for a 1.00” slide width To go with a 1.08” slide width firearm may not be helpful.

————-

OP, check out that link. I don’t know of any holsters that will work as it’s not a setup I’m using. I do know that some holsters for previous generations and Gen5 9mm’s will work, most won’t. You’re better off looking for a G20/21 holster. Those slides are 1.12”, versus the Gen5 G22/23/27’ 1.08”. That’s half the difference versus trying to make a holster built for a 1.00” slide work. However, the frames are different widths, so that may factor in, too.

Be careful buying a holster for the Gen5 G22/23/27. A lot of manufacturers haven’t figured out they need to make a holster just for those models and list it with other models.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Linking a holster designed for a 1.00” slide width To go with a 1.08” slide width firearm may not be helpful.

————-

OP, check out that link. I don’t know of any holsters that will work as it’s not a setup I’m using. I do know that some holsters for previous generations and Gen5 9mm’s will work, most won’t. You’re better off looking for a G20/21 holster. Those slides are 1.12”, versus the Gen5 G22/23/27’ 1.08”. That’s half the difference versus trying to make a holster built for a 1.00” slide work. However, the frames are different widths, so that may factor in, too.

Be careful buying a holster for the Gen5 G22/23/27. A lot of manufacturers haven’t figured out they need to make a holster just for those models and list it with other models.
I try not to give incorrect information, suggestions etc. @nikerret point was well taken. Thus I contacted Werkz Holsters about a holster for the G23 gen 5.

Here is my communication and their response:

Message (10/7/2021):
Do you manufacture an IWB holster for a GLOCK 23 gen 5? I ask because the G23 gen 5 has a slide that is 1.08" wide compared to 1.0" for previous generations. Also the gen 5 has an ambi slide stop lever. Thank you.

Response:
Hello,
Thanks for reaching out. We unfortunately do not have a holster for the G23 Gen 5 at this time.
Thanks,
Lauren

First - I apologize for recommending a G23 gen 5 holster that will not fit (no excuses here).
Second - thank you @nikerret for pointing out a potential problem.

Stay safe. :)

·
Mr. Awesome
12,810 Posts
I try not to give incorrect information, suggestions etc. @nikerret point was well taken. Thus I contacted Werkz Holsters about a holster for the G23 gen 5.

Message (10/7/2021):
Do you manufacture an IWB holster for a GLOCK 23 gen 5? I ask because the G23 gen 5 has a slide that is 1.08" wide compared to 1.0" for previous generations. Also the gen 5 has an ambi slide stop lever. Thank you.

Response:
Hello,
Thanks for reaching out. We unfortunately do not have a holster for the G23 Gen 5 at this time.
Thanks,
Lauren

First - I apologize for recommending a G23 gen 5 holster that will not fit (no excuses here).

Thanks, for following up, on this.

Reactions: ActanonVerba70

·
Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,656 Posts
Granted, we’re a small sample size of 30. Our wmls were tlr-1 and x300s. No issues on our gen4 22 or 23s. We ran those only for 3 years then we replaced them with 31s and 32s and had no issues with the same lights.
In all my research and conversations with other instructors the WML issue really seemed to be an odd duck. Some agencies had little to no issues. Others were issue free initially and then it's like a gate was opened and some had issues from the start. What really brought it to my attention, other than the thread linked above, was a conversation with a local agencies instructor (I've taught their Officers before). The had parts breakage problems with their G22.4's throughout their use of that caliber. But the clincher to dump the entire agencies line up was multiple weapons failing during an OIS. Two detectives were killed IIRC. Not as a result of the G22's failing but 2 or 3 of those pistols went down in the ensuing firefight. Attributed to the WML issue. Glock was slow to respond but according to the instructor I spoke with eventually sent out a rep to test the weapons. Shortly thereafter the entire agency went with (I think) G17's and finally settled on G21's from what I understand. Both of those are excellent calibers for Glock.

Without a WML I'd feel generally fine with a Glock in 40S&W. But I think other brands did a better job for that caliber.

Reactions: Chowser

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
We didn't do much testing, after the issues with our gen3s, when we got the gen4s, we only shot 200 rounds out of each gun with the WMLs before we put them in service. When we switched to Glock 31s, we did the same. I did instruct everyone to only mount the WMLs hand tight with a little turn from a quarter. We weren't cranking the WMLs on.
Our current gen4 31s are working fine with various WMLs and the Trijicon RMR.

If I had known the chief wanted RMRs, I would've switched us to the 45 MOS gun back in 2018 when we got new guns. Back then he said NO RMRs so we decided to stick with 357. I should've just changed us anyway.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Message (10/7/2021):

Response:
Hello,
Thanks,
Lauren

What upsets me about them is they say right on the link
Werkz M2 Ambidextrous IWB Holster for Glock 19 / 19x / 23 / 32 / 45 Gen 3/4/5 with Streamlight TLR-7 / TLR-7A / TLR-7A Contour

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

————-

Message (10/7/2021):

Response:
Hello,
Thanks,
Lauren

No worries, and thanks for the comment! Ya I looked into the holster and despite it saying it when I reached out to them I received a similar response. Everywhere I've looked has excluded the g23.5 and I was guessing they would be no different. No harm, no foul!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

————-

This is extremely helpful, thank you. I didn't even think about trying out a holster for a different gun. Like I said, new to the pistol world! Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I carry my P320cRX with an Inforce APLc light in a Werkz IWB holster. Lots of adjustment and has served that weapon well for 4 years now. I highly recommend the Werkz.

Reactions: ActanonVerba70

·
Registered
1 Posts
All due respect to Chowser, the problems extended into the Gen 4’s as well and was not a 20 year old issue. It appears that it was never fully resolved in either the Gen 3 or 4. The referenced link has a lot of discussion on the G22 from multiple agencies dumping it due to issues. Some associated with a WML and some due to parts breakage.

In short, I don’t think I’d ever trust or own a Glock in 40S&W personally. Jury is still out on the Gen 5. If I were going to carry a striker-fired pistol in 40S&W it would likely be an M&P. It has a solid reputation and has seen round counts of 250k.
I'm the opposite. I was issued a Glock 22 about 15 years ago...lotta training with others that were issued either 22's or 23's. NEVER in 15 years of well over 10,000 shots did it ever malfunction. Not once. Very rarely ever remember anyone having malfunctions. The Glock 22 was replaced by a 19M a few years ago which has had one malfunction out of about 5,000 through it. Just one. Now, the M&P 40, is OK for a civilian, because they will most likely never really use it. I have two friends with them. And one malfunctions quite often. The other guy is a civilian and doesn't ever really shoot it. But, I can tell you from years and years of Glocks and a lot of training...the .40 caliber Glocks do not malfunction. And going to the 19M wasn't about anything other than so many females being in LE now-a-days and the leaders of these big organizations THINK the 9mm will be easier for females to shoot accurately. But, that was the real reason for the switch.

·
Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,656 Posts
I'm the opposite. I was issued a Glock 22 about 15 years ago...lotta training with others that were issued either 22's or 23's. NEVER in 15 years of well over 10,000 shots did it ever malfunction. Not once. Very rarely ever remember anyone having malfunctions. The Glock 22 was replaced by a 19M a few years ago which has had one malfunction out of about 5,000 through it. Just one. Now, the M&P 40, is OK for a civilian, because they will most likely never really use it. I have two friends with them. And one malfunctions quite often. The other guy is a civilian and doesn't ever really shoot it. But, I can tell you from years and years of Glocks and a lot of training...the .40 caliber Glocks do not malfunction. And going to the 19M wasn't about anything other than so many females being in LE now-a-days and the leaders of these big organizations THINK the 9mm will be easier for females to shoot accurately. But, that was the real reason for the switch.
I appreciate your input. Are you talking about with or without a WML? Because the problems were with a WML attached. We discussed this heavily in this thread:

Night stand pistol: G22 or 19X

In short, multiple agencies had serious to catastrophic failures with G22's with a WML. One local was multiple G22's jamming up during an OIS. So yes, G22's have seriously malfunctioned in the past for multiple agencies. This is why Streamlight had or has a warning on their website in regards to their products being used on a G22.

Without a WML the G22 is fine. Not as good as a Sig or HK, put completely serviceable.

And welcome to the board :)

·
MacGyver
10,038 Posts
Carrying a guitar or golf clubs is worthless if you can't play.

Get professional training, learn the fundamentals. A weapon light is useless and even dangerous without "low light training". Identify your target before pointing your muzzle at or near it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts