close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 23 Gen 4

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by QuantumThoughtz, Mar 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. QuantumThoughtz

QuantumThoughtz

Hello All,

I am fairly new to shooting and completely new to Glock. Maybe a year or two ago I went to the shooting range for the first time and liked it enough to visit twice in one day. About a month ago I got the urge to go again but I wanted to buy my own gun first. My first gun was a Beretta Px4 Storm .40 cal which was nice but once I saw Hickok45's video on the Glock 23 Gen 4 I was on my way to my local gun shop soon after. I liked the Glock 23 because I am on the road to my CCDW permit and the Glock 23 was more my style in terms of Concealed Carry.

I did not see many threads of the Glock Gen 4 so I thought it would be a good idea to make one. Any tips you could give me about shooting would be great as I plan to spend more time at the range these days and I also have hopes of doing a little sport shooting and again I think this gun will do well with both jobs.

BTW so far I have put a few different types of ammo through my Glock with no problem.

Federal Premium Guard Dog 135 Grain
    Remington UMC Target 180 Grain
    Hornady Zombie Max 165 Grain
    Fiocchi 170 Grain
    Speer Lawman 180 Grain

Sorry that this message is all over the place.

I hope to talk to a lot of you guys and girls soon.

Attached Files:

2. MonsterB

MonsterB

There are enough threads on the g23 here to keep you reading for days. Its an exceptional firearm, and some people are fanatic about it. Try the search function, Im sure it will work. :supergrin:

3. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Congrats on the new Glock, and welcome to GT!

My first Glock was a G23 I bought new back in 1993, and I still have and shoot it.

I've had good luck with the A-Zoom snap caps for dry fire practice, and I also really like the Uplula speed loader, too--it'll make loading up your magazines a lot easier and faster.

4. QuantumThoughtz

QuantumThoughtz

It's nice to know that you bought yours so many years ago and it is still up and running. I also made sure to buy snap caps when I bought the gun. I will check out the speed loader next time I go to the shop. Funny thing is sometimes I like to take my time and load the old fashion way.

Just wondering do you have an ammo of choice?

5. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Congrats, on the new Glock... I have the same as well. great weapon for sure... welcome to the forum

6. QuantumThoughtz

QuantumThoughtz

Hey thanks good to see I'm in good company.

7. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:welcome:, It might be a good thing or a bad thing that you havent seen many threads on here on the Gen 4. In fact there are many over the past year and half or so. If you search for Gen 4 you will see many more on the Glock 4 9mm versions because they have caused the most controversy. the Gen 4 G22 and G23 have not had much controversy and many people here are happy with it and have written about it. Enjoy searching

:50cal:

8. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Actually, I prefer Speer Gold Dot for self defense/carry ammo, and Hornady Critical Defense for home defense. Pretty much most of the non-range ammo on the market nowadays is perfectly good for protection.

Federal HST, Hydra-Shok
    Remington Golden Saber
    Winchester Ranger, Silver Tip, PDX
    Hornady TAP, Critical Defense
    Speer Gold Dot

Can't really go wrong with any of those...I'm sure I'm missing a few other favorites of the folks here.

9. bac1023

bac1023

10. QuantumThoughtz

QuantumThoughtz

Well it's good to know that this model is holding up well because we all know that if it was performing poorly there would be numerous threads about it.

Thanks

11. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

Congrats on your purchase, welcome to the sport and to the boards! The G23 or G19 is really a great choice to get started with, very versatile models!

12. QuantumThoughtz

QuantumThoughtz

I am thinking about carrying Federal Premium Guard Dog for both home defense and as my carry ammo.

My range ammo will be Remington UMC Target. However I do want to try Blazer and Tula once or twice.

13. QuantumThoughtz

QuantumThoughtz

Hey thanks.

14. QuantumThoughtz

QuantumThoughtz

Hey thanks, I hear a lot about the G23 and G19. Can I ask what you are shooting?

15. Hognutz

Hognutz

Congrats on the new 23. A fine choice. It will treat you well..and, welcome to the forum..:wavey:

16. Roger1079

Roger1079

My Glocks are the ONLY pistols I don't use snap caps with. At least 1000 dry fires in the 3 that I currently own with no issues at all. They are relatively cheap, but for a Glock, definitely not necessary as they are with 1911's and other pistols.

17. QuantumThoughtz

QuantumThoughtz

Thanks my friend what do you shot and what is your target ammo. If you don''t mind me asking.

18. QuantumThoughtz

QuantumThoughtz

I have to admit I don't use the snap caps often but I do use them. I have been trying to figure out how to hold on targets and practicing with the trigger to see when it breaks. Any tips on using the sights anyone could give me I would really appreciate it.

19. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Congrats. This is what you need to do: Take a pistol class and change out those plastic sights to some three dots or straight eights.

[​IMG]

You won't regret it brother.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  20. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Since you've been asking, I use a variety of FMJ for range time: Independents, Federal, Winchester white box and Remington UMCs. For home defense, Winchester Rangers JHP.