close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 23 Gen 4 Range review (and vs a gen 3)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 40frank, Apr 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. 40frank

40frank

I own or have owned Glocks from 3 generations, gen 2-gen4. I started to notice a positive trend regarding the .40 cal gen 4s. (I don't have any experience with Gen 4 9mms.) The newer they are, the better and smoother they seem. I was comparing my new Gen 4 23, which was test fired at the end of Feb 2012, to an older Gen 4 .40. The differences were easily noticed; in fact, they don't even seem like they were made by the same company. Anyway, I took a Gen 3 23, the new Gen 4 23, and a older Gen 4 22 to the range to do a more in depth comparison.

I shot 125 rounds through each, with zero malfunctions. For those who care, I had a friend watch how each one ejected, and the newer Gen 4 was actually more forceful of the three with a more constant pattern. (I personally don't care about that, I never paid any attention to it. However, for the sake of the people who are concerned, I decided to note the pattern.)

One of the most interesting things I noted was the difference in recoil. I am not really recoil sensitive, and don't find the .40 to be a bother at all. Still, I found it interesting feeling all three and making the comparison. The newest Gen 4s recoil characteristics was noticeably different. I was able to shoot it as fast and accurate as my G 19 loaded with +p ammo. Surprisingly, the Gen 3 23 was actually better than the older Gen 4 22. Upon closer inspection of the two Gen 4s RSAs, I understand why they were upgrades. The older Gen 4 RSA was sloppy when compared to the newer Gen 4. I actually called for the updated one for my older gen 4 when I got home.

Trigger pull: The newest Gen 4 with the dot connector was the best, followed closely by the Gen 3, with the older gen 4 bringing up the rear again. Accuracy was the same order as well. I guess, the point to this long thread is I firmly believe the newest gen 4s are now what we expect Glock to be. I admit, I didn't think anything was really wrong with the older gen 4s. That changed after this comparison. While I still think the older ones were reliable for most, the difference in quality is noticeable. I highly recommend the new Gen 4s. After shooting and comparing to other Generations and even other manufacturers, I am convinced the newer Gen 4s are probably the best value out there. (At least in my area, the price difference is less than the cost of the third mag you get.)

One last thing. The highlight of the whole day was when someone with a custom shop S&W 686 was scoffing a my Glock. She touched off two full powered .357 rounds and that stupid trigger lock engaged locking the hammer to the rear. She wasn't able to get it working with the supplied key. :tongueout:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. 9mmpara

9mmpara

I noticed the same thing with my gen4 it will throw the brass.and on the 686 thing that is why you dont buy a gun with a lock on it.

3. thinkfast

thinkfast

Thanks for your report--it's interesting to hear. The Gen 4 .40 I got almost as soon as they came out wasn't as smooth out of the box as my father's recent-production Gen 4 9mm. Even with some fluffing and buffing it's still not as smooth. Enough so that I prefer my Gen 3...Maybe I should look into getting that 'dot' connector.

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sounds like it would be a good idea to avoid that particular "custom shop" :whistling:

5. 40frank

40frank

I hear you. Once in a while they make special runs without those stupid locks. However, I only noticed the special runs on j frames. I would love to get a new S&W revolver but seeing it locked up like that has me worried enough that I won't buy one.

6. 40frank

40frank

The dot connector is great, but overall the newer gen 4s seem to be smoother all over...if that makes sense. I've had the opportunity to compare some more gen 4s that my friend has, and it is the same;the new ones are incredibly smooth and noticeably better than the earlier ones. In fact the only thing that I own that even came close is a well used Gen 2. I am going to update my collection to all new Gen 4s.

7. jeremy1

jeremy1

My Gen 4 G22 seems to have the same recoil as my gen 3 9's. Once the bugs are worked out I plan on picking u a Gen 4 G17. And as for the S&W, I love it when people laugh at glocks, and have problems with their steel guns. That just makes my day.

8. MikeG36

MikeG36

Nice write up Frank. Great info, thanks for taking the time.

9. normal.guy

normal.guy

this is good news to me! i recently had my LGS order me a gen 4 23. they called 2 days ago to say it was in the store. not sure of the 'born on' date, but if they just ordered it, im sure its within the last month or so. i cant wait to get home from okinawa to pick it up and fire a few hundred round! 41 days from today!

10. arbitter529

arbitter529

I live in California and I have a G32 gen 4. It has functioned flawlessly.

All gen 4 in California are limited to LE. I am looking at getting a G17. Is it better to get a limited available gen 4 or more common gen 3?