Glock Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went shooting today and while shooting my gen 3 23 (just bought and it is used) I noticed after the first two mags I was having double feeds and one of my mags wasn't wanting sit fully in the mag well, upon tearing it down I noticed even just with racking the slide by hand the recoil spring would slip up but not completely come off which is a concern for me...not sure if this attributed to the mag problem but most certainly did for the double feeds, anyone else had this problem with the compacts or .40 cals?

· RetiredDinosaur
11,518 Posts
the recoil spring would slip up but not completely come off
It's actually moving down...into the frame...and it's supposed to do that, then it can 'push' against the frame to close the slide. It's assembly position is in the round notch on the barrel lug.

As to the functioning troubles, the first thing you should do with a used gun is replace the recoil spring assembly and the mag springs, then test fire with factory ammo...no reloads...reloads are always suspect if you're having functioning trouble.

· Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
32,590 Posts
Get new mags. As already noted, your recoil spring assembly is supposed to do that.

And FWIW, one should expect a used gun to malfunction. Someone got rid of it for a reason, and that reason may be that it malfunctions.

Because of this fact, I'm done buying used. No point in saving a hundred bucks, when there's a high likelihood something is wrong with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.