Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol Airsoft gun
I recently bought a Glock 23 gen 2 (three pin) from my Department. I carried it in 2011 for awhile. I did a full disassemble and found a few issues. One was a broken locking block which is easy to fix. FYI I will not shoot it until its fixed.

The second issue is the rear slide plate is VERY difficult to remove requiring plyers. I noticed when using the punch to depress the striker, it barely moves. I thought it was the slide plate being out if specs but I ordered a new one at it seems just as snug, so I reinstalled the old OEM plate.
Any suggestion?

My altimate plan is to take the 23 to a GSSF event and have an Armorer take a look at it. But most GSSF events in my area are canceled or delayed.

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
Did you get it issued new brother? May have had a few rounds through it before you first got it, I know you have taken great care of it, but I have never removed the slide cover plate with pliers.
But yes once you do get it off check the firing pin and spring, and channel liner.
I have a CUG prefix 2 Gen G-23, one of my favorites.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Something going on with the channel liner, or spring cups. The plate should come off easily. Instead of GSSF, you could find the nearest to you USPSA/IDPA club and see if one of the regular Glock hoser's could look at it for you. I have never bought any new Glock in 28 years, but then I get the chance to pull the upper off, to see if anyone has dicked with the trigger, then function fire it at the academy.

·
1911 lover
10,174 Posts
The little plate should not be that hard to get removed. Bet you just have a lot of lint and dirt inside. A little oil and cleaning and it will be happy.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did clean it thoroughly once I removed the slide plate. It was dirty, but the cleaning did not seem to make a difference. This is my eleventh Glock and second gen 2. I have never had to use plyers before to remove the slide cover plate. It does seem that the striker is not going deep enough into the Striker channel. It may need a new channel liner. I have replaced those before.

Also everything on this 23 is stock. No modifications.

·
Registered
32,238 Posts
Any sign the slide has been dropped on the rear, causing the rail channel (on either side) for the slide to become tweaked?

Channel spaces for slide cover plate look uniform on each side?

Rear of the slide rail ends on both sides appear in normal condition?

Any visible signs/spots on the old or new cover plates indicating where excessive pressure was exerted on them? (In case it helps ID a tweaked spot.)

The firing pin assembly rattle forward/rearward when shaken w/FP safety depressed? (Checking for deformed channel liner.)

Not rare for old duty weapons to have experienced a drop at one time or another. The front and rear of Glock slides can suffer tweaked spots for the rear of the rails (and the front guide ring, of course) if the slides are dropped on a hard surface, and especially if the slide is removed from the frame for cleaning and dropped.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Send it to Glock and they will probably replace all the internals for free.
I thought about that. It will not be a carry gun anymore. I'm working on it just to learn. I am a Glock armour for my police Department, but I rarely have serious issues with our new handguns. We currently carry 17 and 19 gen 5.

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
Cannot beat a good Gen 2 G-23 (IMHO), I carry a G-22/27 combo and have also been through the course (Alex Cobb Instructor) although it has been awhile, anyway, sometimes you get one or two that defy logic, and I used to think mine were always good to go, then had the slide lock spring break, or a weak RSA issue develop, so I would be like you cautious and get it back in action, having worked many a range in LE and the Military, anything can and will happen sometimes.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a channel liner that's not fully seated. When you get the new liner, make sure the slide channel is really clean and install the liner all the way in. I would even get something and mark the location of the present liner before you remove it. That way, you can make sure the new one goes in further and corrects the problem.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Success! I removed the striker channel liner. Which was more difficult than the previous times I have done it. Cleaned the striker channel and installed the new channel liner with the correct tool. Reinstall the striker and the slide cover plate went on easy. More importantly the slide cover plate came off the slide as it should.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now I need to get a new G23 gen 2 locking block before I shoot it. The current one is in the gun, but in two pieces.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
https://www.lonewolfdist.com/125/glock-original-parts-all/glo-4361

I was wondering where people can find an older/discontinued locking block. It seems LoneWolfDist.com is out of stock for an unknown length of time, yet still lists it on its website as if they'll get more someday.

I believe Glock will replace the Gen2 frame with a new Gen3 frame, but may charge $150 once the old G19gen2 is returned to Glock at the owner's expense.

Reactions: snowbird.40

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
Dang I wish you the best of luck on that surely some one in Glock Talk land hopefuly has a lead on one.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Possibly, here's a 4361 locking block:
https://www.ebay.com/c/24002607567

I say possibly as sometimes Ebay falls short by either no longer in stock or the part is wrong.

·
Banned
6,432 Posts
I will send it back to glock so they can check it and change whatever it needs, I will have peace of mind with all the internals new and new mags!
But that's just me!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts