close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 23 Failure

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DEFCON1, Oct 17, 2004.

1. DEFCON1

DEFCON1

Went firing my Gen.3 G23 this evening. I've had the Glock for about a year now and have put about 1500 rounds through it (Bought brand new). It is cleaned every time I fire it (1 or 2 times per month). I was firing the normal Winchester 165gr. FMJ target/range ammo at the time. This is not unusual ammo for me. Ive never fired reloaded or +p ammo through my Glock. Fired about 25 rounds this evening and was firing at pumpkins in the desert. fired one round and then pointed the weapon down at the ground. Next thing I know, my weapon feels feather light. I look down and my slide is laying in the sand.... OH NO!! ;P I inspect the frame and my slide lock is now missing from the weapon along with the slide lock spring. I belive a small piece of the slide lock spring is left in the frame so I suspect a broken slide lock spring was to blame, but I am no Glock armorer. This is my daily carry pistol so I am extremely disappointed! Has anyone ever seen this before? Is this a rare anomoly? Any advice? Let me know your thoughts.

2. Gecko10

Gecko10

Over the past 6-8 months I have noticed an increase in the number of threads concerning Slide Lock Springs breaking. Now I'm not talking about dozens, but 4 or 5 at least.

I had one break on a G36 about a year ago.

Be careful when extracting the part of the spring that's still in the frame. I remember reading a thread where a guy pushed it in a little, by accident, (it appearently went in below the top of the slot) and had to return the gun to Glock to get it extracted.

3. Woodcutter

Woodcutter

Are you talking about doing a detail cleaning? The only spring I remove when I clean is the one under the barrel. And if that's the spring you're talking about, I'm not sure how it can be pushed in (as Geck said).

4. T. Harless

T. Harless

Woodcutter, then you ain't detail cleaning.

Defcon1, My first part failure ever was a slide lock spring. I'd never seen it, my local glock armorer had never seen it but folks on this board said it was all too common. Simple fix when you have the part. I need small needle nosed pliers to do it. Just make sure the indent in the slide lock is to the rear. Nothing to it. Todd

5. Gecko10

Gecko10

Probably 40-50000 rounds though Glocks and its been my only part breakage.

Woodcutter:

I believe that part he is referring to is the Slide Lock Spring, part number 20 on the parts diagram which is a component of the frame/receiver, not the slide.

6. gary newport

gary newport

My G30 has broken THREE slide lock lever springs in the course of about 4,000 rounds. None of my other Glocks, including my G21s and my G34 with more rounds downrange, has ever broken this spring. Obviously, having a spare on hand would be a good idea, particularly if this is your only pistol. (You also might want to have a spare slide lock lever, as this might get lost when/if the spring breaks again.)

7. T. Harless

T. Harless

Mine was a G30 also. The first and only Glock part failure. I do keep spares for all sizes now as well as other spare parts. When I got mine, both the spring and the slide lock lever came in the same package.

Todd

8. DEFCON1

DEFCON1

I took my Glock to the armorer and he said it he'd never seen that before. I did some research and found nine or ten incidents of slide lock spring failure. Seems like there is a new wider slide lock spring upgrade that Glock has released as a response to this issue. By the way, it is part 20 on the diagram that I am refering to. Thanks for all the advice. I hope this isnt a constant issue... I cant be relying on a spring that could fail every 1000 to 1500 rounds.

9. Gecko10

Gecko10

Wider? Interesting as the slot the tang fits in in the frame looks like it is just barley wide enough now, but could be. Regardless, good luck. My spring failure is the only one I have personally ever seen or been aware of and I'm around a lot of Glock shooters.

If you find that the new spring is in fact wider than the old one then please post (assuming you kept part of your old spring to compare).

10. DEFCON1

DEFCON1

10-4 on that... I will advise and post a picture of the spring if different.

Here is the quote from another string mentioning the wider spring:
    At the GSSF match in Shelton this weekend they ran out of the slide lock spring for G-19's. My old AESxxx 2nd Gen was starting to wear which is very common. The new spring is twice as wide as the old and fills the channel. Just something to watch on older G-19's and similar.
    ~KH

11. Gecko10

Gecko10

Very interesting. I've not heard of this improvement before now, though the springs for different models are not all the same design. I recently bought a used G30. I am going to carry it so I replaced all the springs. I did not note the new slide lock spring, which I got stock from Glockmeister, to be any different from the one I removed.

If I can find some more info about these new wider springs I would replace them in all my Glocks as, like you, since the breakage of the one on my G36 its always been in the back of my mind.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted.

BTW if you decide to replace it yourself to save a few buck let me know as I can send you detailed instructions with Pics. It is a very simple, 2 min, task.

12. Gecko10

Gecko10

Just came across this new thread. Now I'm wondering if your Armorer isn't confused. Would not be the first time.

I did note that the new trigger spring I installed on my used 30 was different and perhaps a little "thicker" with a different coating, than the old one I removed.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=299946

13. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I've fired well over 100,000 rounds through my Glocks and have never felt the need to remove the slide lock/spring or the mag release. I also tailor recoil spring weights to caliber/loads being shot, per Wolff Springs guidelines. I've never had a slide lock spring break on any of my Glocks; also never had a locking block or pin break. Coincidence?? I doubt it. :)

14. Gecko10

Gecko10

IIRC the spring on my G36 broke before I took your "sage" advice and went to a stronger recoil spring.

However, on my new (used) G30 I tried a stronger spring #19 lb and had problems with ejection in the face/head. Didn't have a 21 lb spring on hand so I went back to the #17 lb Monday and did not notice any brass in the face/head.

Practice ammo is Blazer 230 gr, FMJ. Did not have this problem with my carry ammo with either recoil spring set up.