Glock 23 C or standard??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by olefirefighter, Mar 24, 2010.

1. olefirefighter

olefirefighter

Looking at a 23 - pros and cons or Likes/dislikes

on the 23C or 23

Thanks

2. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

I shouldn't say afraid, but I say be 'careful' with a C model for defense use. A: shooting at different angles may cause ports to exit close to body (clothing, hair, eyes, etc). B: night vision. I've never shot a C model at night, but you can see the flash even during the day even. I don't have a C model, but I shoot a friends G32C if we go to the range. Can't tell if comp helps. I have a G19 and G21, non C models

3. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I like the 23 but I would never get a C model.

4. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

My thoughts exactly

5. SteadyGlock

SteadyGlock

OK, but why not? I'm also considering a 23C, but I'd be interested in hearing your viewpoint.

6. Buscadero

Buscadero

Model 23 is a great choice....but I would avoid the "C" model.
    I have shot "C" models in low light situations and the muzzel flash
    is considerable.
    I would go with the standard.

7. Dirt

Dirt

I love my G23!:hearts:

8. Mellio

Mellio

Edited because my post was identical to post #2. He summed it up perfectly.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  9. olefirefighter

olefirefighter

I have been searching around the forum and did find that the "C" models are NOT allowed in IDPA matches and I do enjoy shooting in those - My scores are not great, but its fun.... So, I guess that makes the choice for me and from the posts above - they also feel the "C" is to be left at the gun store

10. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I had a model 23C that was a fast accurate shooter. The front sight would soot up at around 60 to 70 rounds but a quick wipe would take care of that. I traded it for another gun after I got my 32 with a spare 23 barrel. If you get the 23C you could practice with the ported barrel and use a regular 23 barrel the rest of the time.

11. calglockster

calglockster

Somebody must be buying ported Glocks. I never had a problem controlling a G23 so really wasn't interested in one nor have I shot one. In my mind a compensator is for competition and a 23 just doesn't add up to a great competition pistol. The 23 is a great defensive pistol but I'm sure some people out there like a 23c for defensive use. I really like the G20 but it's too big for carry except for open or in the woods. Didn't like the 29 as much so the 23 made more sense for the reloading aspect. Try one out, if you like it buy it and be happy. I am.

12. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

It takes more Q-tips to clean. :rofl:
    I wanted one bad but I asked the same question you did and pretty much got the same answers like these guys did for ya.

13. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

Olefirefighter, I think it depends on your take on 40 S&W. My friend always said, “You have one caliber, that you truly excel at (above all others); and the rest you have to work at.”

For me that’s 9mm. I don’t flinch. I don’t hesitate. It just comes naturally. From the moment I started shooting. 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, have taken more time. And I’m not as good.

For 40, it’s the recoil. I’m not as accurate. I’m less relaxed. And mentally, I psyche myself out. Every time I shoot.

I’m getting better, but it’s not my best.

The Glock 23 is a fine pistol. Pros: It’s accurate, midsize, and hard-hitting. I’ve shot hundreds of rounds, and I’ve never been disappointed. If you’re familiar with Glocks at all; it hardly takes any time. To shoot, and shoot well; a testament to Glock ingenuity…

Cons: It is rather heavy, compared to the compensated model. The recoil (for me) makes it more uncontrollable. At times, I almost dropped the weapon. Compared to the Sig P226 (40 S&W), I found it shot less accurate groups. But not by much. The Sig had more weight, and bothered me less.

The Glock 23C is misunderstood. Pros: It is more balanced compared to the standard 23. It feels (and this is subjective) about right in the hand. The sheen on the black finish is also richer and more textured. You can certainly tell that Glock is quite proud of its compensated line. It shoots as well as the 23 standard, and for me, a bit better. The diminished recoil makes the gun feel completely safe. The compensation takes the edge off. Just enough for more control, and a better result.

Cons: Glock makes less of them, and they’re harder to find. The flash is noticeable (at night), but doesn’t distract as some have said. Due to the compensation, shots will have less speed: coming out the barrel (15 %). Meaning a lesser range and impact compared to the 23 standard. The fireball that escapes (when shot) is impressive. And intimidates others when shooting. Teardown is more exact, when putting it back together. It may take a few times, to get used to it.

In all, I’d own them both. Quite frankly. The 23 and 23C are fine guns. Well worth the grand, to buy them both.
    The 23 standard, for someone, where 40 S&W is their caliber… Except no substitutes. The gun will shoot.

For those who already have it. Looking for something different, or want something: with more control. The 23C is well worth your time. Give it an honest trial, and you won’t be disappointed. For me, it’s one of the crown jewels of the Glock line. A better bet than the 23, for someone, who wants something unique and easier to shoot. The flash didn’t bother me, and the gun just feels more balanced. Once you fire it, you won’t be disappointed.

Let me know if this helps.

As I said, unless you’re a 40 diehard, who gets off on the recoil. Get the 23C. It is worth it.

Thanks.

14. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

Why? The flash?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  15. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Nice writeup Martin. I feel the same way about my G32C.
    Scottsdale Gun Club does have G23C's in stock.

16. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

I love the C models, even many of those knocking them here and elsewhere say they have never shot them or never shot them in certain conditions (night,etc.). They have no idea. I haveput thousands of rounds thru my 19C at all angles/retention. Yes, with CHEAP ammo, I have got metal flakings in the arm barely under the skin. With good powder/many ammo's, muzzle flash is reduced w/certain powders. It's a lil tougher to clean, but that trade-off is easily justified for me. When you shoot it in night/low light, you actually keep better vision of the sight. Instead of one big fireball in front of the barrel, you get a "V" around the sight...it seems (to me) as a less bright flash. They are A LOT noisier/louder. "C" models are not too hard to find, as they are EASILY ordered. The tear down is the same as any other Glock...my G20 is not a "C". If you're that interested/worried about a C model, buy it, and a factory non-ported barrel.

Red

17. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

Thanks AZ. I appreciate it.

It just irks me. To see so much criticism on the 23C. I wonder why? And I wonder, how much time they gave it? I can’t tell you, how many people I’ve seen. That expect to get a gun in 60 seconds. And if they can’t? Then the gun sucks. Based on the people I’ve meet, and the folks I shot with. I can’t help but notice that trend.

As for the 32C, I haven’t dabbled in 357 Sig yet. How do you like it?

I plan to get a 32, as my next Glock. Given “some” of the similarities with 40 cal, I’ve been thinking about it.

Wondering if I should go compensated.

I love the compensated Glocks. So it wouldn’t be much of a stretch.

Thanks Again.

18. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

I use a 40 brush. And make sure, I'm thorough. There's not much to it. Really. Just a little more time, that's all. And when you get good, it's about the same.

19. Stuntman_Mike

Stuntman_Mike /̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

The G23 is easy to shoot IMHO. Recoil isn't bad, just hold on to the gun.

Whichever strikes your fancy. You can always buy another barrel. Just bought a 19C myself but haven't tried it yet.

20. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

Though the Glock 23 is a piston. You misunderstand. It's not bad. It's just a little much for my taste. ...Though I loved shooting it.

As for holding onto the gun, I did. I just didn't feel, like I was in control. With the 23C, I did. The gun felt like a part of me.

The 23 had a little more heft than I needed. And I'm not the only one. Don't laugh my friend. There may come a day, when you find something outside your control. Never think you're immune.