close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 22 Question - Problem?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by sldive, Jan 2, 2005.

1. sldive

sldive

First Glock, brand new, 300 rounds through it.

This will be tough without a pic - I will take one and attach it tomorrow.

I noticed while cleaning it that two marks (indentations really) apeared on the inside of the slide. Two marks parallel to each other behind the recoil spring about 3/18 of an inch - this lines up (slide forward)on the receiver with the locking block (I think)

I can't figure whether it got dinged on re-rack of a cartridge or WTF happened.

No apparent affect on operation but dont know what happened or why.

Any help appreciated

The pic shows where the damage on the slide lines up

2. diamondmike

diamondmike

It is completely normal for the Glocks to get the marks in the slide that you are talking about!.

The 40 caliber is more famous for these marks than the 9mm Luger.

They will wear only so far down and than stop, it is normal break-in.

Do not worry about them like I did until I took my G22 to three different gun shops and all three told me that it is normal, one even took out a used model G22 and took the slide off and showed me that the marks are normal.

3. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Echoing diamondmike's sentiments....

Did the armorer's school thing last year, and found out the same thing. It's just some normal wear on the inside of the slide.

4. Delta_3_63

Delta_3_63 Another FNG

Yep, normal.

My G-22 (Gen-2) showed marks after the first trip to the range. I knew what it was and didn't get worried until the peens started to flare toward the inside. I was worried they might weaken the slide or catch on the breach and cause malfunctions.

I did like diamondmike and took mine to a smith. He got on the phone with Smyrna and they told him to smooth off the sides with a stone and forget about it.

I'm curious which style G-22 you have (Gen 2 or 3). I thought the improved locking block in the Gen-3's stopped the peening and would be interested to know which version you have.

5. diamondmike

diamondmike

Delta_3_63,

I just bought my G22 in November 04 serial number GUF*** it came with hi-caps so it is the latest model made.

6. sldive

sldive

It is a Gen 3. DXB***

Thanks for the replies.

I will have them smoothed down after a while and not worry about it.

7. Delta_3_63

Delta_3_63 Another FNG

I got a question for you guys. I'm looking at swapping the uppers on my second generation 22 and third generation 34. I noticed the rear slide rails on the 34 are shorter than those on the 22.

I'm wondering if that is a gen 2 vs gen 3 thing or a 9mm vs 40 thing. Either of you care to pop the top off and measure the length of the rear slide rails?

TIA,

Gary