close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 22 or 19 for duty?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Eagle1, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

I am a police officer and am carrying a g19 at this time, however I am seriously considering upgrading to a g 22/23. Any thoughts on this. I have shot a g23 before and was not impressed with the recoil and the accuracy compared to my g19. Would the g22 be a better choice over the g23?..

2. EON

EON

I am also a LEO, have both G22 and G23 (also G27), actually prefer my G23 over the G22. I think it is mostly a matter of personal preference, both are excellent guns. In my opinion, the best bet would be to shoot both side by side, see which one feels best for you.

3. Coug

Coug

I'd stick with the G19 if it were me. I shoot my 22 better than my 23 but I shoot my 17 better than my 22. With good 9mm loads available I think the 17/19 is a viable choice. The 40 is a great LE load but the difference is not much. -Coug

4. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

In the .40, you will get more ballistic advantage sticking with the 22. Considering the little weight difference, the 22 is by far the better belt gun that is not concealed.

As for the 23, because of the shortend barrel, it is just a bit better than the 19 with the top loads.

I have a 22, 17, 19, and 26. The 17 is the IDPA gun (but I intend on getting a older 22, like my old 17, as an IDPA gun.) The 22 is the REAL house piece. With 155 gr top end loads and 17 round Plus 2 mag, it is a very serious gun.

The 19 and the 26 are pure carry pieces. Very very good guns. Don't kick as much as a 23, yet with Cor-Bon or Triton loads, they are quite good.

Deaf

5. isp2605

isp2605

I've been issued both the G22 and G23. For uniform duty I prefer the G22. But for year round concealed carry, for me, the G22 is just this much too big. In the winter time when wearing sweatshirts, jackets, sweaters and such it's no problem with the G22. But for all round use the G23 is hard to beat. I got to where I wasn't even carrying the G22 so I turned it in and go with the G23 all the time in uniform and plain clothes.

6. specop

specop

My agency once issued Glock 19's and 17's until 4 years ago. They started issuing Glock 22's and 23's. Those who wanted to stay with the 9mm's could keep their 19's and 17's. Overall, many of the females, older agents, and those who did not shoot much kept their 9mm's. The rest transitioned to the .40 cals. I carry the G23 for its manageable size for duty use as well as off-duty carry. The gun is "commander" sized and wields nicely in the hands. The .40 cal to me offers a compromise between "big bore" caliber and high capacity. I haven't seen or felt significant differences between the G23 vs the G22's and even the G35s for at least LEO purposes. Just my two cents..hope it helps