close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 22 Gen 4 Don't upgrade parts?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NEOH212, Apr 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I was wondering if anyone else hasn't felt the need to upgrade their ejector (or any other parts for that matter) in their Gen 4 Glock 22. I have a early G22 Gen 4 with all the original parts minus the RSA which is the current version.

I haven't had one issue with this pistol in the 5K plus rounds through it. There is the old saying of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I tend to lean that way but I was wondering what others feel about it and what they have done.

Thanks! :wavey:

2. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

I have an early Gen4 22. I use it as my USPSA Limited gun. While I've changed the trigger and added a magwell, it has oem ejector, extractor and recoil assembly. I have many thousand rounds through it without a single malfunction.

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I'm confused. Why would one want/need to upgrade anything on their GEN4 G22?

4. DocWills

DocWills

Most of the confusion comes from changes on other guns being real changes, Glock stuff is mostly engineering changes and well worth doing when you have time. The tech bulletins usually reflect the why. Its mostly end user feedback so you are benefitting on what may happen later than what might be wrong now.And they are free mostly.

5. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I changed my RSA because it was free from Glock. My Gen4 is an earlier one I believe. Beyond that I am leaving it be unless it starts cussing me out and throwing brass at me. :supergrin:

6. Krav Maglock

Krav Maglock

I changed out the ejector on my G 23 gen 4 and the only difference is now the brass ejects @ 3:00 instead of straight back over my head. It's up to you really, I just wanted to have all the updated parts.

Certified Glock Armorer

7. Deriffe

Deriffe

I tried putting in an extended slide stop. Started having problems with the slide locking back with a full magazine. After determining the magazine's weren't the problem, I put the original slide stop lever back in and the problem went away. I'll keep mine stock now.

8. Krav Maglock

Krav Maglock

There are three upgrades that Glock has done on the Gen 4's since they released them. Yes we were the guinea pigs, there is the dot connector which changes the trigger pull to feel like the Gen 3's, the RSA has been re designed and they changed the ejectors because they had issues with people getting brass in the face.:cool:

9. Krav Maglock

Krav Maglock

This is usually a result from your thumb hitting the slide stop during recoil. If you like the extended stop, just try adjusting your grip.

10. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

I think he's talking about the "upgrades" from Glock that fix the 9mm guns. Not gun upgrades.
    I have the same experience as the OP. My gen 4 G22 is almost the same round count & all I have changed was the RSA with not even the current one but the one before that was for non recessed slides. I have a early build as well.
    I have no plans to change anything, mine works just fine & I trust it as my EDC.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  11. Deriffe

Deriffe

I suspect you are right and it is my grip but the only thing that causes me to pause is the fact that my G35 with the same extended slide lock doesn't have a problem. It doesn't make any sense to me so I need to do some more range time to figure it out. Any excuse to put more rounds down range. :supergrin:

12. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I'm well aware of all of those issues and changes/upgrades.....on the GEN4 9MMs, not the .40s.

So, I'm again asking why the OP thinks there are upgrades that need to be done on their GEN4 G22.

13. Bigpoppie50

Bigpoppie50

The only upgrade I made to my Gen4 Glock22 was the free upgrade of the RSA(recoil spring assembly) from Glock.

14. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

There are actually four upgrades for the gen4's. They also upgraded the slide lock spring last year in May. I recently bought some slide lock springs online and replaced them with the older ones in some of my gen4's.

The new slide lock spring is much stiffer than the ones which came with my gen4's. There were some issues with a few of the first gen4's where the slide lock was disengaging so the the slide flew down range after a shot had been fired, due to the vibrations and the somewhat weak spring. That's why I replaced mine with the newer ones. I never had a problem with the older/weaker ones though.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  15. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I wasn't ever convinced that the upgrades were necessary. I was trying to determine if there where actually any other engineering changes that were made to the said model of Glock and if so, if the changes were actually necessary being that I have never experienced a problem with my pistol.

I got my answer straight from Glock yesterday afternoon. I was basically told to not worry about it and the update wasn't necessary if there were no issues with the pistol.

I feel better knowing that Glock is backing up what I felt was the right answer in the first place.

To me, if there was such a problem, they wouldn't chance letting guns without the updates stay out in the hands of the public without being sure they came back to them and had the necessary modifications performed.

My conclusion is the Gen 4 Glock 22's are good to go they way they are provided there aren't any issues presenting themselves.

16. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Your correct. SHE was referring to Glock authorized engineering/product improvement updates from Glock. Not aftermarket parts or non-authorized modifications.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  17. nraman

nraman

Are you saying that there are RSAs for recessed and RSAs for non recessed slides?

18. L Pete

L Pete

I thought the problems were the Gen 4 9mms. I had one, a G-17, and it had problems, so I traded it for something else. I just bought a G-23 Gen 4 this week. It's great, with no problems. So far, I love it.

19. rilkil23

rilkil23

I bought mine as a carry weapon so I had XS Big Dot Night Sights installed yesterday. I am going to leave the internals bone stock but might opt to add the larger slide lock, like the one that came on my G35. I need to find one of the longer pins that allows you to mount the larger back strap as my gun didn't come with it, bought it used.

20. beagbox

beagbox

Possible upgrades:

1) sights (warren tactical or heine sights)
    2) extended slide stop, extended mag release
    3) competition springs, 3.5 connector for lighter trigger pull
    4) jagger guide rod with 15lbs recoil spring

Last edited: May 4, 2012