close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock .22 Conversions for Practice

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by D.R.Middlebrook, Jun 30, 2006.

1. D.R.Middlebrook

D.R.Middlebrook

Any of you guys using .22 LR conversions for your Glocks???

If so, how well do they work?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

D.R.

www.TacticalShooting.com

2. Willard

Willard Who, me?

If you search GT, you'll find tons of info on this topic.

The short answers are:

1) get an Advantage Arms conversion.

2) AA conversion works GREAT!

3) Avoid Ciener conversion.

4) Conversions can be a little finicky on ammo. Use stronger (more powerful) loads to cycle better.

5) The available magazines only have a 10 round capacity. There are no larger capacity 22 mags

ENJOY!

3. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Well, I practice with a Colt ACE, CZ Kadet Conversion, and S&W K22, do they count? I find them a big help, I usually warm up on .22s and finish with centerfires.
    The .22s are good for draw and fire, draw and fire drills.
    Set up two or more targets and go up and down the line for target acquisision. Shooter moves around shooting in sequence. Shoot body-head sets likewise.
    I do NOT do double taps with the .22s. The lack of recoil will give you (me) some very funny ideas that do not work with bigbores.

4. Mister B

Mister B The Un Tactical

This can't be emphasized enough. Use CCI Mini Mag solid points or Remington 40 grain solid Golden Bullets. Failure to do so will lead to massive barrel leading and massive frustration.

More info.

5. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

I practice with the real thing. The reason, you learn the recoil and learn how to fight it. To do this you push the gun down on recoil so it doesn't travel so far in a double tap. And the sights come back faster to the spot of the first aimed shot.

Remember in doing the "Hammer" you only aim the 1st shot. Muscle memory brings the gun down from recoil for the 2nd shot. The less distance the gun travels in recoil the faster the 2nd shot.

6. D.R.Middlebrook

D.R.Middlebrook

7. kruger

kruger

Mr. Middlebrook, I have no experience with the Advantage Arms kit, but I have some experience with the Ceiner kit. My impression of the Ceiner kit is that it is less reliable and less accurate than top end that it replaces. However, for my use (training drills), it is sufficient.

You are absolutely right, .22lr doesn't have the same recoil characteristics as defensive centerfire cartridges. This limits their utility in learing recoil management.

However, I find that there are plenty of drills where recoil managment is not my biggest concern. For example, I used my .22 kit yesterday (amazing how empty the range was on the 4th of July, it's as if people were wasting time at home or with friends) for shooting position entry and exit drills. With these drills, I was firing only one round per drill iteration, so recoil managment wasn't a major issue. While I practice these drills in dryfire, it is nice to have some confirmation that what I'm sensing is what is actually happening.

Respectfully,
    Mark Kruger

8. D.R.Middlebrook

D.R.Middlebrook

9. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

All shooting is good. Supplementing your training with 22 ammo is great because it allows people to shoot longer for less money. It can't replace training with the real thing but it can definately add to it. I have a 22 upper for my Colt 6920 and I plan to get one for my Wilson when funds allow. Also all your holster work for the first shot is the same regardless of caliber.
    Pat

10. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

What does an AA conversion cost?

11. Trey

Trey

DR,

My practice partner and I have had great success shooting during the winter with our .22 conversions. Advantages for us were...

Since we didn't have to pick up the brass in the wet muck, we were much more apt to shoot. When spring rolled around, we hadn't lost too much ground over the winter.

less time reloading

less expensive

.22's are just flat out fun to shoot.

I love my AA conversion (target model). It's been flawless for me.

Steve,

Around $250, mags only hold 10 rounds though. I did see someone selling theirs for 150 here on GT.

12. pstmstr

pstmstr

Check ebay, I found a brand new one for my 17 with 2 extra mags, $269 shipped. Used ones are seldom but if you check glocktalk often enough you might get lucky.

13. cvglock

cvglock

Recoil control comes from proper grip and tension. These can be practiced regardless of the size of load. I agree, you need to shoot what you carry at some point, but for the vast majority of people, stance, trigger control and grip are much more the nemesis than recoil.

The 22 conversion kits are GREAT. I just got one for my G17. I do alot of dry practice, but being able to see the results of my stance, grip and trigger control on a target helps me practice better. I can shoot all day on $10 of ammo in 22LR. probably 4-5 days worth for the same $10...

My vote is make the investment... I agree with the recommendations of the Advantage Arms device.

Craig

14. Dolomite

Dolomite Glock Bhagwan

Bought an LE model (with 2 extra mags) for my 17 & 34 here a few years back via a group buy. Total delivered was $235 I think.

Why they're awesome:
    • They're the best thing to place into a new shooter's hands when you want to introduce them to the GLOCK
    • They really helped me burn through a lot of rounds developing my weak hand
    • The stainless barrels provide near match grade accuracy
    • If shooting a .22LR handgun is fun, shooting it from a GLOCK is doubly so!

15. Dolomite

Dolomite Glock Bhagwan

one more thing (just so's I don't come off as a total AA bell-ringer):

The case it comes in is nice, but the magazine loader's never really seen much use. Also, I would say that I see a jam right about every 150 rounds or so, never really sure if it's due to my failing to keep the kit clean or what. Just stay away from Federal ammo and all will be well.