close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 22 40 Vs G31 357 Sig--have some???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by daredwit, Nov 11, 2002.

1. daredwit

daredwit

Getting a Glock. Stuck between the 22 .40 and the 31 357 Sig. This going to be my winter carry piece. What are the advantages/disadvantages of either(size is not an issue)?> Also, will G22 mags fit and work in the 31? Compensated or no?

2. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

Well I got a G31-C a few weeks back and I really love the thing:):):)

I would advise getting the ported model.
    And before everyone tells you all the reasons not to let me tell you a few reasons to get a C model.

Just to cool everyones jets you can always get a standard non ported .357 barrel for carry.

Remember it dosent work the other way;)

But for the range and having fun you really cant beat a C model.
    Everyone gets a kick out of the porting and the look of it.

I can make some really fast follow up shots with my G31-C.
    2X taps are very easy.

It has a lot less muzzle jump compared to the standard models.

And you dont loose much FPS or energy with the .357 sig.

If you look down in the .357sig club I did a review on my G31-C.
    It may be toward the bottom.

The reasons to switch from a .40 to a .357 sig are,
    Better penetration.
    More energy.
    More FPS.
    More accurate.
    Better feeding.

The ammo may or may not cost more than a .40 depending on where you live.
    But you can always order online and save some $ on the ammo.
    Where I live the .357 sig is cheaper than .40 S&W.
    I dont worry about that too much though.
    If I depend on it to save my life if need be I dont think that cost is even a issue.

You could always get a .40 barrel from a G22 and just drop it in to shoot the .40S&W.
    The recoil spring and mags interchange.

BTW not pushing but this place gave me a really good deal on a new G31-C in the new style glock box.
    Hyatt gun shop located in NC.
    704-394-0387.
    Gave me my new G31-C for 519.00!:)

3. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

The .357 SIG just IS!

And you can ask Clinton for the definition!

CranialCrusader

4. lunde

lunde

Besides the markings on the slide and barrel, the G22 and G31 differ in only the barrel. If you buy one, you can buy the barel for the other to enjoy both .40 Auto and .357 Sig.

You should buy the G31 first, because when it comes to buying the other barrel, most sources sell the G31 barrel for more than the G22 barrel. between the G22 and G31, both are generally the same price.

5. REFLEX

REFLEX

Plus if you reload, you can save money with the .357 sig, plus you can shoot it from the factory barrel, i wouldn't feel to comfortable shooting reloads from a factory .40 barrel though. Getting the 31 allows you to get an aftermarket barrel for reloads if you wanted to.

6. Swanny

Swanny Raconteur

I have had some issues with using 10-round G22 mags in my G31 with 357 Sig rounds. I would suggest that if you buy both barrels, that you also have two sets of mags -- one in .40 and one in 357 Sig.

7. Gary G23

Gary G23

The magazines are different. If you take them apart you will notice that the 357 mags are narrower internally at the front. This may or may not cause problems. My G31 worked fine with G22 mags but my G32 did not work with G23 mags. IMO do not get a compensated model.

8. hab25

hab25

i am very curious why you wouldn't feel comfortable shooting out of a 40 cal barrel reflex, and please don't give me that kb garbage the only time a glock kbs with reloads is when the reloader is not doing their job the right way i have loaded over 25,000 rounds through my stock 40cal barrel and it still works great

just curious if there is a valid reasona though

9. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I bought a .357Sig barrel for my Glock 22. It functions perfectly with the stock recoil spring and .40 Auto magazines, 10 and 15 rounders. BTW, I also have a 9mm barrel for the same Glock 22 and it, too, functions perfectly with the stock recoil spring and G17 9mm magazine(s). Three guns in one - it can't get much better than that. ;f

10. REFLEX

REFLEX

I don't really have a valid reason. To me, I feel that the unsupported barrel of the .40 is just too hard on the brass, with a aftermarket barrel you could probably extend the life of the brass. To be honest I've never loaded .40 though but I've reloaded rounds from a .45 Glock, maybe it was just me, but some of the rounds I've reloaded had a ring near the base, hasn't happened since I stopped using the Glock. I guess a little of it did have to do with the myth, now that you said that, maybe I'll give it a try if I decide to get a .40. It also gives me an excuse to get a match barrel :). It probably won't give me that great of a improvement but I am kinda partial to Barsto for my 1911's.

Out of curiosity hab25, how many times do you reuse your .40 brass?

11. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I have a few pistols chambered in .40 Auto...
    a Glock 22, Glock 23, Beretta 96, Kahr P40 & others. I NEVER get the infamous "smiley face" buldge at the base of my fired brass. Actually, it's next to impossible to discern which pistol fired which round by looking at the brass, alone. I reload my .40 brass over and over and have NEVER segregated the Glock-fired brass from the others. I'm sure I've got some .40 brass that's been reloaded 6-10 times (I don't count).

I don't understand why I hear about so many other people having problems with their Glock-fired .40 Auto brass. Is it myth or reality?

Somebody 'splain it to me.