close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock 21sf & lead bullets

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by billy b, Mar 18, 2012.

1. billy b

billy b

picked up an almost new 21sf. about a week ago i asked about shooting lead bullets in it. some said [no] others said they been doing it for years. did some research on other web sights with similar results.most say don't shoot soft lead at upper speeds. hard lead at medium speeds will be ok. loaded up some hard cast 200 swc at about 830 with 5.0 bullseye.checked barrel after shooting 6. no sign of any lead. this will be hard believe but it's true. first group at 25 yards was 2''. second group was an amazing 1'', 6 bullets. i find that with lead bullets it takes a group or two to lube barrel with bullets you are shooting. shot several more groups all were around 1 1/2 or smaller. checked barrel when done shooting & no sign of any lead. i will not shoot a lot of lead in 21, still feel slightly uncomfortable doing it. but the resuls were amazing to say the least.

2. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

Billy, you should be fine, but I still don't do it.

I do go through a ton of Berry's plated bullets every year in my stock Glock barrels, and they are nearly cheap as dirt.

3. whitey4311

whitey4311

Dont listen to those on the net who speak from no experience and see what happens?

I shoot lead in my 21sf every weekend in competition with no issues. Friends with other calibers seem to lead more but I only have 45acp collection of guns so I wont know until I buy the g34 next. If you are worried just drag a bores snake though every 200 rounds and you will be fine.

My experience is that the lead shoot cleaner in my 21sf vs the FMJ. Not sure how that is possible but its true. When cleaning I do use the bronze tooth brush looking thing from Otis and scrub the throat of the barrel because it will build up there a little. I also use Chore Boy pan scrubbing pads where I cut strips of it and wrap it around a copper bore brush. Drag that through a few time and it rips any crap out. Cleaning is much less labored getting a little lead streaks out vs the copper fouling I was having.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

Personally, I don't listen to anyone's experience "on the net", but do certainly trust what my Glock manual says, the engineers at Glock, Inc. seem to have a fairly good idea what they are talking about, IMO.

That said, sure I've fired hard cast lead from my stock Glock .45 barrels, but Berry's plated bullets, being as inexpensive as they are, allow me to load 'em up and fire 'em without a care.

5. whitey4311

whitey4311

It also says to not use reloads. Some times common sense goes a long way and for those who lack this the MFR covers their butt in the manual by writing such things.

6. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

^^^^THIS!!!! I have shot lead through my 9mm and .45 Glocks for years in matches with no issues. The only thing I see is the lube residue gathers at the corners of the breach face. This should be no problem because most on here clean their guns every time they take them out to show their friends.

Now I shoot lead through my M&P's....the M&P is what Glock should have evolved to.

7. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

Sure, but I'd never recommend, on a public forum, that one should simply ignore the manufacturers warnings.

8. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

There are "bubbas" out there, reading this stuff.

9. billy b

billy b

talk about cost . the lead bullets i'm shooting are costing me $80 per thousand you can't buy berrys for that price, i have some.

10. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

i think its mainly a liability thing for them. If they didnt have that warning and someone shot 1000 rds of lead or whatever number of rounds without cleaning and the gun ended up "blowing up" on them they could turn around and sue glock. This way if you use anything but factory ammo, Glock is not liable. If you keep an eye on the lead build-up (if there even is any) you'll probably be fine.

11. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

I have thousands of lead rounds through a G21, G21SF and a G30. I have never had a leading problem.

If you are hesitant do what I did. Start with a few rounds and work you way up checking the bore frequently. After doing a few training classes where I shot close to a thousand rounds through one gun I found zero evidence of any leading. I even went as far as soaking the barrel in a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and vinegar to see if I could get anything to come out. Nope!

12. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

True.

I pay $128. shipped per thousand from Berry's, still comes in at less than two hundred bux/thousand loaded rounds of .45 ACP or GAP....I can live with that!

If I were on a tighter budget, I'd certainly shoot good lead bullets, and keep the barrel as clean as possible!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  13. whitey4311

whitey4311

I am getting Bear Creek LRN 230 grn for $77 per thousand vs the FMJ I was paying $120 for. Its way too huge of a savings to not do it. Even if a after market barrel was needed it is still worth it.

14. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

I do shoot tons of LRN through the KKM barrel, which works great in both my G21's.

The Berry's bullets get used in the GAP pistols.

15. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Glock, GmbH does not publish any information banning the use of lead bullets in any of their pistols. The exact wording in current owners manuals is, 'Glock does not RECOMMEND ...... .'

There are numerous brands of commercial lead bullets that work very well with factory-stock polygonal barrels. It's actually the BHN (Brinell Hardness Number) that has to watched. The lead bullets can't be too hard, or too soft; and the coefficient-of-friction can't be too high.

Once this is understood; AND the lead bullets are kept to no more than .001" over bore diameter, Glock's polygonal barrels will shoot lead bullets just fine! So, 'Why' does Glock, GmbH RECOMMEND not to use lead bullets? I suspect it's because a great many owners simply lack the experience and technical expertise to make lead bullets work safely, and no other reason.

In my opinion an EXPERIENCED ammunition reloader/manufacturer should have no trouble, at all, in understanding exactly, 'What' is involved in safely using lead bullets in a Glock.

REF: http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284 See Post #21

16. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Have owned three 21's, and a 30. None showed any leading, of any kind! 98% of my shooting is lead. I shoot a considerable amount, 5-6k annually. Three quarters of what I shoot is .45 ACP! Hope this helps. Although I will admit, when my 180, and 200 grain hardcast come in, shooting 10MM will surpass my 45 shooting!:supergrin:

17. DocWills

DocWills

a properly made lead bullet will fire in a glock but, properly made lead bullets and proper cleaning are needed. Soft(improper) lead will build up and block safe function.
    this is true for all guns.

18. 40 S+W

40 S+W

My G22 loves 180gr Hard Cast lead bullets over 4.3 grs of red dot powder.. Shoots real good but red dot can be dirty..

19. Tombo 65

Tombo 65

For me, reloading has never been about spending less on ammo. It's about getting to know your firearm and ammunition better, and getting the best performance out of them. Cheap ammo is usually poor quality ammo, and I don't shoot just to see a muzzle flash. If my shooting isn't improving my accuracy or shooting skills it is a waste of money for me.

I want ammo that can out-perform both me and the gun I'm shooting. In my experience, the Glocks I own and shoot perform better with hardcast lead bullet reloads than with any factory jacketed ammo I've ever fed them. Working up a load that is ideally suited to your firearm is very rewarding and satisfying.

With hardcast lead bullets with a brinell hardness of 20 or higher, I get zero leading in my factory Glock barrels. The hardcast bullets run about .001 or .002 larger in diameter than the jacketed or plated bullets. I think this translates to tighter groupings and less fouling. Leading and rifling slip are not an issue at all under these circumstances.

Soft, or extruded lead bullets are drastically different from hardcast. Decent hardcast bullets leave your barrel cleaner than plated bullets do, and are much easier to reload. I don't use soft lead bullets. Way to much mess. Hardcast is completely different.

I think it's interesting that people will get grip reductions, install all sorts of recoil spring assemblies, trigger connectors, and firingpin "upgrades", and shoot econoline gunshow bargin plated ammo, and then worry about the warranty or recommendations from the factory about reloads or lead bullets. The likelihood of a injury from an accidental discharge caused by a severely lightened trigger pull is greater than the likelihood of your Glock blowing up due to shooting carefully worked-up, appropriate reloads with jacketed or lead bullets.

That being said, I assume any reloaded round I shoot is an un-sanctioned round and any problem resulting from shooting them will be my responsibility. I think this is basic common sense and adult behavior, and should go hand-in-hand with shooting sports.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  20. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Hi, I've got several questions for ya: How do you check the BHN? Are you using a gas check? I'd, also, like to know what lube you're using? Thanks!