close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock 21c 45 problems

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by james66, Mar 6, 2010.

1. james66

james66

Glock 21c reloading problem
    <HR style="COLOR: #8c735a; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #8c735a" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start -->Hello

I have bought a second hand glock 21c and was trying out some reloads on the range last night, i was using a 230g head and 5.2 grs of vit 320 with a remington primer.

My 2 problems were, firstly about one in 3 of the rounds only fired after 3 strikes and quite a few empty shells did not eject causing a jam, i was told i need more powder im my loads to cure this but according to the manual iam at the max load for that powder.

can anyone offer any help?

many thanks

James

2. mteagle1

mteagle1

I am required by creed to tell you to take it to a Glock armorer for inspection and repair. With that out of the way, the first step is to field strip it. Since I don't know how much you know about Glocks, make sure the gun is empty by locking the slide back and insuring the magwell is empty as well as the chamber. Close the slide and pull the trigger, pull the slide back about 1/4" pull down on the slide stop lever (little square of metal sticking out both side of the frame a head of the trigger guard). The slide should come off, looking inside the slide find the round firing pin stop. Press in on it and shake the slide, you should be able to hear the firing pin moving back and forth. If not the firing pin channel is probably dirty. DO NOT try to take it apart without instructions.

The load should be adequate to cycle the gun (I'm getting 770FPS with a .1 less VV320). The light strikes may be that your primers are not seated deaply enough or that your firing pin spring has gotten weak. The failures to eject may be a failure to extract properly caused by a dirty or chipped extractor. Time for a detailed disassembly and cleaning and without instructions little parts can go flying. Time to find that armorer by calling Glock and they can tell you who in your area is certified to work on your gun.

3. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Probaly not enough crimp which causes the round to not fully chamber. It could be too much belling, which even if crimped properly, results in a VERY slight bulge just below the crimp which is the leftover belling. This stops rounds from fully chambering.

My second guess would be the primers aren't seated deep enough.

Those two things are regarding the failure of your primers to fire. I don't know why you have ejection problems with fired rounds.

4. james66

james66

thanks guys

that crimping suggestion might be ringing a bell? as i never crimped the rounds, i read somewhere that there`s no point crimping 45`s, but did notice that when stripped a factory round judt falls into the barrel wereas my reloads are just a bit tighter?

keep up the good replys people and thanks.

5. kshutt

kshutt

James,

If you aren't crimping.............tell us exactly what your reloading sequence DOES consist of. There may be several issues to deal with. Are you completely new to reloading? Also, what are you loading on?

6. james66

james66

Hi KS

Iam using a dillion 550b, ive run off some more without any belling and they seem to fit better and i`ll be trying them on tue night but i will also be getting a crimping die this week also :)

7. marchboom

marchboom

All you're doing with crimping with an auto cartridge is taking the bell out of the case...nothing more. Fail to do this and the round might not fully chamber. Do it too much and it might go too far into the barrel.

There are many good reloading books out there that will explain this.

8. james66

james66

iam wondering has anyone ever reloaded successfully without a crimp?

9. gunreviewonmyspace

gunreviewonmyspace havegunwillgo

When I first started reloading I had a similar problem. Bad thing was, that I reloaded a few hundred rds to take to an IDPA match, and at least 50% didn't work. Same problem. I had read online that crimping semiautos wasn't neccessary. Well...... it is. Lesson learned the hard way by both of us. Fortunately, I had brought my back up glock 19, and got second in the match anyway. Second lesson learne: two is one, and one is none.

10. james66

james66

hey gunreview

when i reloaded another 100 today i looked in the powder funnel and it was empty :(

dont know from how fra back but a sickner all the same

11. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I think you need to get more in "the spirit of things" before you blow something up.

12. marchboom

marchboom

Why should there be any powder in the funnel (except during it's trip to the case)? Do you mean powder MEASURE?

Dare I say, and this is for your safety, you need to do more reading on how to reload, why certain procedures are done and the safety issues involved. ATTENTION TO DETAIL! It is an absolute must during the reloading process.

13. kshutt

kshutt

James,

Not flaming you...........I've read your posts, and you very seriously need to have an experienced reloader observe your current practices. Without going into detail, I believe you are escalating the risk of injuring yourself (or someone else) by continuing on your current path without supervision and/or instruction.

Not sure in your area, but our local gun range offers reloading classes. You would greatly benefit from such a class. Reloading is fun and rewarding if done properly; however, it can also be highly hazardous if you lack the necessary skills and knowledge to stay safe.

14. dougader

dougader

if by powder funnel, you mean powder measure then you need to pull all those bullets. firing one with no powder can get a bullet stuck in your gun barrel... and if you follow that up with a round that has powder.... KABOOM. You ruin a gun and possibly injure yourself and bystanders.

Also, what kind of primers are you using? In the past I have run into problems with certain batches of primers that just wouldn't fire reliably in my glock, but did fire 100% in an Inglis Hi-Power.

I agree with those above who have urged you to get more instruction. Small mis-steps in reloading can lead to BIG problems.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  15. james66

james66

boys, iam not that bad honest, i take it very seriously just have a few teething problems with these 45 reloads. ive sent for a crimping die today and feel certain that i can overcome all problems thanks to the help ive got here.

16. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

If you read the directions, doesn't it show you how to crimp with the seating die?

17. james66

james66

wiskyt

you were spot on about the crimp, i tried another batch yesterday and they worked like a dream. well done

18. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Cool, glad it worked out.

19. G36_Me

G36_Me

you need a case gage (in addition to using the barrel of your gun for 'drop in fit test'.)
    I use the case gage on every batch.

For rounds I am taking to a competition I will 100% check them.
    For practice at the range, I might only check 5 out of 50 (always the first round and always the last round of the batch)

Get something like this:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/catid/3/pid/25548/?viewImg=0

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  20. kshutt

kshutt

Good man, James! GT is a great help for all of us; however, there is no substitute for a "live demo." :cool: It appears that you are trying really hard and that is great. It would still be of great benefit to you though if you could attend a reloading seminar or have an experienced reloader observe your reloading practices. All this stuff about "sizing, belling, charging, seating, crimping, case gauges, etc." That can be intimidating when you are trying to learn it all! It may sound silly to attend a reloading class, but our local range sponsors one for a respectable fee. Check your area for something along that line, and stay safe!