close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 VS. Ruger P97

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Claywms, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Claywms

Claywms

Hi folks. There's a startling thread over on The Highroad in which people are debating the most durable gun between the P97 and the G21. Most people on the thread said they thought the Ruger was much more durable. That really surprised me! I'd like to hear some opinions from you guys who have owned or shot both. I'd also like to hear about your experiences with the durability of the G21 over the long haul. Thanks.

2. 357glocker

357glocker

I have shot the G21 and own a P97. If it makes any difference I am trying to get rid of the P(OS)97! The slide doesn't lock back frequently, the trigger will click and the hammer will move slightly forward just before firing in single action, it gets very dirty very fast regardless of the type of ammo used, ensure the recoil spring goes on correctly or it will not cycle slide. In its defense though, it is just as accurate as the G21 I shot. I have shot just about every popular brand name handgun (and some odd ball ones too) in many calibers and IMO Glock makes them the best. They are easy to use, reliable, and if they do break parts are easy to come by. BTW I'm not just saying that because I'm on a Glock lovers site!!:) ;c

3. .45Kevin

.45Kevin Weapons Trainer

Err...ah...I just sold my P90DC...and was glad to get the $350 for it!!! Thank God for the Hogue grips!;f Actually it was OK, just big, wide, low cap. No where near the pistol my 30 is!!!;)

4. El Toro Loco

El Toro Loco

.45 Kevin hit the nail on the head. I too used to own a Ruger P90/DC. Read carefully "USED TOO". I carry a Glock 21 and a Glock 30 both with night sights. And I would not even think twice about th carrying either one into battle with me. Cleaning is easy and part (if you ever really need them) are easy to find. Go with the Glock 21. I have well over a 1000 rounds through her and she never even blinked at me. The Ruger I would have problems feeding. I also had a harder time finding extras for it.

El Toro Loco

5. big88foot

big88foot Millennium Member

I have the 97 as well as three Glocks. The 97 is OK, and for me has been very trouble-free, (but so have the Glocks). I'm confident that the 97 will be very durable, and I know it's very accurate. I don't see much point in debating the durability issue. They both will last a long, long time. I don't care as much for the 97 since it has grips that feel too long and skinny to fit my hand well, yet the slide and frame are very thick. But I have a friend who finds it more comfortable than the Glocks or my 1911. I think the 97 is an ugly gun, but that's subjective - I think Glocks are beautiful in a ballsey way. What I really don't like about the 97 is its a decocker only and that first double-action trigger pull seems to take forever and is not very smooth, the follow-up shots are okay, but you have to get used to the difference. I appreciate the Glock trigger pull being the same way, every time.
    BF

6. Sixgun357

Sixgun357

Asking that question here is like going to the Chevy dealership and asking them to compare the chevy truck or the F-150.

7. mlanush

mlanush

Hi my name is "mark " and i was a P-90 onwer, but now I have kicked the habit and own a G-21.. The P-90 was a good plinker and it did eat every round I gave including reloads, after I took it to a smith and had him smooth/clean the feed ramp up. I tried shooting USPSA with the P-90 and that lasted about 5 macthes, just enough time for me to sell it and buy a G-21... I could tell there was beginning to be some wear on the P-90 after shooting USPSA. I have been using my G-21 for about two yrs and all I Have gotten is some slide wear on the front from the holsters.....

Leave P and come to G

I liked the P-90 until I shot the Glock. It was hard to find any kind of mags for the Ruger. The biggest i could find was 10 round, but it is a single stack....