Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the ultimate most reliable combat .45. I have been shooting 1911's better than anything else for a long time. I currently own a stainless wilson. The issue I have is the 8 round cap. I love my glocks because they more often than not fire when I pull the trigger. They also give me a huge ammo cap. I doubt I would need the 100 yard range of the 1911 but if I was ever in a long range situation, I would prefer the range.

I am looking for basically the most hardcore deffensive weapon that I can own. How do they compare other than triggers, ammo cap, and weight? If you could have one to take into a self defense sitaution what would it be?

·
Registered
164 Posts
IMO, the HK Mark 23 is a joke.

Have you ever held onto one? I couldn't even reach the thumb safety on it. It's friggin HUGE and way overpriced.

Honestly, I'd get the G21... It's reliable and easy to work on yourself.

Also... if you do have to use it for HD someday (God forbid), then it'll be a lot easier to hand over a $500 G21 to the cops for evidence than it would be any of the other ones on your list.

Use the rest of the money you'd spend on that Wilson or HK to get a good set of night sights, a few extra mags, a nice flashlight, and some ammo (if you can find it).

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well the last two won't get you out of your capacity issue. The Glock and the HK will, both will be reliable, you can hit with most quality handguns at 100yds if you practice at it. The Glock is 1/2 to 1/3 the price, fairly inexpensive mags and parts. The HK 12rd mags are pretty pricey, parts are hard to come by, it fits better in the hand compared to a Glock 21 for me, but the MK23 is pretty big and it has a higher bore axis.

·
Premium Member
42,140 Posts
First off,..... the Glock is a Glock. Reliable, parts galore, accurate, but nothing special
The Mark 23, is a TANK, it's huge! It's bulky, but it's daYUmn azz accurate and reliable.
Springer TRP,..... you know what a 1911 is like. But it's about ten steps down from your Wilson.

What will this weapon's purpose be?
Range gun?
Range and HD?
Carry?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Probably the best thing to do is:
1. Go out and buy one of each.
2. Shoot a couple hundred rounds of ammo through each one.
3. Determine which one YOU like the best.
4. Last, but most importantly, send me the others for proper disposal.
:upeyes: :whistling: :embarassed:

·
Mostly IDPA now
1,135 Posts
The Glock 21 would be my choice. I have 1911's, HK's, ect., but if it came down to only have one .45 left, it would be the 21.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My TRP kicks ass, but its probably not as nice as your Wilson, and also holds 8 rounds. I haven't held a Mk23, but have seen them and agree they are a BIG handgun. I actually have never held or shot a G21 either, that surprises me now that I think about it. I have a G23, maybe I'll rent the 21 next time at the range...

·
Caped Crusader
797 Posts
The issue I have is the 8 round cap.
i fail to see why the trp and the cqb are still on the list...
the glock seems the most versatile (generically good for everyone) and if you really want you can always spend the some of the extra cash you would save by going with a 21 for a 6" lone wolf hunting barrel. that's if you need something that extreme. I would just be happy with a wilson 1911...

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I had a Mk23 for about five years and sold it, it just wasn't a fun gun to shoot.
It was 100% reliable, just way too big. One of the reasons I sold the Mk23 is that I have a Glock 21 with a fitted BarSto barrel that was as accurate(or more accurate) than the HK.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I am looking for the ultimate most reliable combat .45. I have been shooting 1911's better than anything else for a long time. I currently own a stainless wilson. The issue I have is the 8 round cap. I love my glocks because they more often than not fire when I pull the trigger. They also give me a huge ammo cap. I doubt I would need the 100 yard range of the 1911 but if I was ever in a long range situation, I would prefer the range.

I am looking for basically the most hardcore deffensive weapon that I can own. How do they compare other than triggers, ammo cap, and weight? If you could have one to take into a self defense sitaution what would it be?
I'm an HK guy, but even I think the Mk.23 Mod.0 is... just... dumb. It's enormous, totally unconcealable, and doesn't really offer any advantage over the HK USP. The price is a joke. For the $2,500 you'd spend on the Mk.23, you could get a USP 45, all the performance parts that the Mk.23 has (overtravel stop, threaded barrel and taller sights for suppressor use), ten magazines, all the spare parts and springs you'll ever need, and a crate of ammunition. And, here's the kicker, you'd end up with a better gun. Or, just get a USP and leave it as is. And you'd have a better gun. Or get an HK45, and you'd have a better gun. Or two HK45s... or two USPs... you get where this is going, right? The Mk.23 is a good gun, but not for your purposes.

As far as the Glock 21... you're barking up the WRONG tree with this one. It's a good gun, a solid gun for the money. But if you're looking to spend HK money, or Wilson money, you'll never, ever, ever be satisfied with a Glock. You might try a Robar Custom Glock, but even that's iffy.

As far as the Wilson and the Springfield... good match guns, good target guns, but for combat? 8 rounds, springs need replaced every 2,000 rounds, grip safety can get annoying in a fight, you have to clean them religiously, you have to keep them well-lubed, parts break, replacements need tuned... I could go on and on. If you end up going Wilson, though, get the CQB Elite. The CQB has MIM parts and, I dunno about you, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend that much on a gun that doesn't have the best parts available in it. Or, just get a Baer or Nighthawk. Finally, the Springfield. Just like Glock vs. HK, you aren't ever going to be satisfied with the TRP if you're looking to spend CQB money.

If I were you, I'd go with an HK USP, USP Tactical, HK45... something along those lines. Get some spare parts and mags from HKParts.net, and you'll be set for life.

And, for the record, if you're looking for the most kickass .45 ever, stay away, from the M&P, XD, and SIG.

My defensive handguns are my two USP45s. Both are bone stock, one is actually unfired. Never had to replace a part or spring in the user, but I have spares if I ever do. I carry this gun constantly, fire it often and leave it on my bedside table with an Insight UTL at night. This gun is like Rick Astley... never given up, never let me down, and it's saved my life twice. I'll substitute one of my HK45s in from time to time, but the USP is my favorite.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am an HK collector and enthusiest, and I'll still say "pass" on the HK Mk23 unless you just plan on collecting it.

The MK23 is HUGE, but not just the size, the EVERYTHING of over-done. Its not anymore accurate then the Glock, despite the 6" o-ring barrel. The $2200+ price is another thumbs down. The only people you are really going to impress are 17 year old Counter-strike addicts and airsoft junkies. Are you going to shoot it and watch the resale price dive? or you could buy a increadible hand-built custom 1911 for the same price from any number of gunsmiths or high-end mfg's.

STI makes really nice hi-cap 45's, have you looked into them?

If you like the standard 1911 style single action, why haven't you considered a standard HK USP in 45acp? They also make an "expert" and "elite" with nicer sights and o-ring barrel. They have the same features as the goddy MK23, but in a more manageable package. Its lighter than a 1911, and has the nice polygonial barrel like a glock. I have a USP in 9mm, and it carries and shoots like a modernized 1911, but light like a well built like a glock.

The Glock 21 is a fine gun. But, has a shorter 4.5" barrel compared to you 5" 1911, and the grip and trigger is a huge leap in design difference The "feel" (muscle memory) will require you to need alot of practice and training to get it to hit like you can with the 1911.

I would recommend buying one of each gun if your finances allow. Each of your choices is top-shelf!

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
:dunno: Don't ask me!

I sold both of my Colt Series 70 Mark IV's and kept a pair of G-21's. It's been almost 2 years now; and, I have yet to regret the decision. Whatever you finally decide to go with make sure you practice, practice, practice.

Oh, yeah, forget about that long range 100 yard pistol dueling thing. Ain't going to happen! Practice out to 25-35 yards which is the most you'll ever need to do with a pistol. ;)

·
Infidel Strong
340 Posts
I would choose a Glock 21 SF, I have smaller hands.

My second choice (if I could afford it) would be the Wilson CQB.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts