close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 Versatility

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sulaco, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I know I can shoot .45 Super in a stock gun (or maybe just going to a heavier recoil spring) and 10MM by switching uppers and magazines. What else can I do to shoot other calibers? What other calibers are even available?

2. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

.400 Cor-Bon; .40 Super; .460 Rowland, then there was the famous .454 Casul conversion!

3. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

Give me the lowdown on these Walter. What do I need? What is better? What can I use them for other than fun? Performance comparison? Etc?

4. Willard

Willard Who, me?

45 Super - spring
    450 SMC - spring
    400 CorBon - barrel, spring
    40 Super - barrel, spring
    460 Rowland - barrel, spring
    10mm - entire G20 upper, magazine
    357 Sig - G20 slide, conversion barrel, G20 mag
    40 S&W - G20 slide, conversion barrel, G20 mag

5. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

Thanks Willard. Can I buy ammo for the 450, 400, 40 and 460? Or do I have to reload?

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Other than hunting or just playing around, I can't think of any good uses for the .460 Rowland, .40 Super and .400 Cor-Bon. I'd prefer .45ACP or +p's for s.d. I thought I might want to hunt hogs with the .40 Super, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I will say that the .40 Super is a really flat-shooting, accurate round. However, I haven't been able to get either .400 Cor-Bon or .40 Super to work in pre-ban mags.

7. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

Thanks Walter.

If you have a second, check my other thread located here. You may be able to help me.

8. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Add to the above list:

45 GAP - conversion barrel

AFAIK, you can buy ammo for the 400CB. The 40Super is dead, so you have to reload. The 460 Rowland probably has to be handloaded. I'm not sure what the status of the 450 SMC is - It was from Triton (like the 40 Super). I don't know if any other companies are selling it.

Here's a pretty informative link:

http://www.acecustom45.com/faq.htm

There, they mentioned "10mm Express". Don't know anything about it, yet, but you could add that to the list of conversions. Also, maybe "38 Casull" - not sure, though!

9. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I thought I could shoot 45 GAP in my barrel? Aren't the specs the same except for case length? Sort of like a 38 and a 357?

10. 45+

45+ "Senior" Member

Using a different length round like the .38 in a .357, .45 Schofield in the .45 Colt, .44 Special in .44 Mag, etc. only works with rimmed cartridges or those using "moon" or "stellar" clips. These rounds headspace (establish their position in the chamber) using the rim or the clip. Rounds like the 45 Auto and the .45 GAP headspace the cartridge on the case mouth, so the .45 GAP could drop into the chamber tooooo far making a dangerous headspace problem or at least unreliable primer stikes.

11. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

12. 45+

45+ "Senior" Member

Not a problem. We all know different things and can learn from each other. Probably next time I will have the question and you will have the answer. We can all learn something new.

13. turbonatr

turbonatr Senior Member Millennium Member

Georgia Arms loads the 460 Rowland.