close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

glock 21 slide locking to rear.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rgrant, Sep 28, 2004.

1. rgrant

rgrant

I recently bought a glock 21 and it was shooting great until I had an extended slide release put on. I had it put on by a glock armorer. Basically when I fire a round the slide locks in the rear positon. It is not getting jammed or anything it just stays back. Now I can release it and fire another round and maybe get lucky and fire a couple but thats it. I am not sure if having that new slide release put on has something to do with what is going on, but I can't figure it out. If anyone can give me some advise that would be great.

2. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Best to learn to work on your own Glock than to depend on a Glock armorer...just remember the pool from which they're drawn. :)

When the armorer installed the slide stop lever, he erroneously put the slide stop lever spring over, rather than under, the locking blcok pin. The fix is really easy. Just remove the top pin, left-to-right, then the bottom (trigger) pin, left-to-right. Install the top pin, right to left, then install the slide stop lever, making sure that the spring is under the top pin. Then install the trigger pin right-to-left, jiggling the slide stop lever fore-and-aft as you push the pin in. It takes longer to type this, even at 100+wpm than it'll take you to fix it. Detailed, illustrated instructions can be found at topglock.com.

3. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

rgrant,

If the "official armorer" installed a factory extended stop/release and the top side of it hangs up on the under side of the slide when you push it up with your thumb to lock the slide manually the fix is to file off some of the back side of the stop/release then polish.

4. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Because it doesn't lock back on every shot, I have to diagree with Walter. I think it's probably installed correctly, and you're just hitting it with your thumb under recoil. On some guns the extended stops work for me, and on some they don't. Check to make sure it is, in fact, installed correctly. You should be able to see the end of the spring, it just looks like a little piece of wire, sticking out from UNDER the pin just above the slide stop lever. If it looks ok, shoot a couple mags with some funky grip that ensures no possible contact between your hands and the lever under recoil. Report back with the results.

5. rgrant

rgrant

After reading the replys to my question I took my gun apart and noticed that the spring was not under the top pin. So I took the top pin out and pushed the spring so that it was under the bottom of the top pin. The lever feels like it has more spring now so I think it will work. I will not be able to go shoot it till my wife gets off work because I have my son. After I shoot it I will let you all know if it works. Thanks so much for all of the replys. If you guys have anymore good tech info to tell me go right ahead I am new to the glock world.

6. Bushflyr

Walt: a gazillion Me: 0. I should know better. :D

7. WalterGA

Could be his thumb, but his post indicated that it did, in fact, lock back with every shot.

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Thank GOD we Glock Armorers are not from the same Mobile 1 pool as WalterGA.

9. Bushflyr

I was reading this section as being able to fire a couple shots without it locking back. My bad.

10. rgrant

rgrant

Well, I took it out last and fired some rounds and it worked like it is supposed to. Thanks for all the input. Now I have to go out tonight and do a night qual. Fixed just in time.

11. Gecko10

Gecko10

This is happening on a used G30 I just bought. I installed an extended release which works fine when firing, but will not lock back reliably when manually engaged.

How much do you normally have to file off? I assume you file it flat and not bevel the top edge or is it best to bevel the top edge only?

Thanks

12. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Gecko10,

I've found what works best is to keep the file parallel with the back side,but file at a slight angle taking off more metal at the end/tip,then polish.When you look straight down at the top of the stop/release you can see there is just enough metal to work with,about 0.040

13. Gecko10

Gecko10

Thanks Glock..:

Yes, is does appear that the end/tip is closer to the slide than it should be. In your experience is this because of an out-of-spec extended slide release or a slightly out-of-spec slide? I've got extended releases on a G21 and G26 purchased from the same place (local shop) and did not experience this problem with those two.

14. rgrant

rgrant

The actual problem that I had with mine was that it was put on incorrectly. It does not need to be filed like you guys were saying about yours. But it is good to know in case I ever encounter that problem.

15. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Gecko10,

The reason for the extented hanging up on the bottom side of the slide when thumbing it manualy is pretty simple,the slide on the 20&21 models is wider,when you thumb the lever is gets pushed inward towards the frame and as a result it gets hung up on the bottom side of the slide.
    What ever you do,do not try to bend the stop/release,it will break,they are very hard,but also brittle.

16. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Do I have it correct in that you are suggesting you have to understand and use the equipment properly in order for it to function correctly and that some simply can't figure it out and thus blame the product design? Would that make them the weak link or does that apply only to things you personally have mastered?

17. WalterGA

Nope, looks like you totally missed the point. ;)

18. WalterGA

YOU'RE WELCOME, MY SON.