close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 sites

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mjg, Sep 29, 2003.

1. mjg

mjg

Hello,

I have a Glock 21, I put on after market night sites (true dot, or something like that). Anyway the gun seems to shoot high and to the right now. I went back to the glocksmith who put it on to have it fixed; however, that did no good.

My question, what are my best options?

1: buy the glock site tool from glockmiester (never used any site tool before) goto the range and readjust as need be?

2: talk it back to the glocksmith and keep doing this?

3: place your own idea here :).

Thanks for the help,

-mjg

2. Gecko10

Gecko10

I'm assuming you have Meprolight Night sights www.meprolight.com.

First, and most importantly, have someone else who is a decent shot with a Glock shoot the gun to see if its you or the gun. Lets assume its the gun. Is the gun new? If used, what do you know about it? It could be a worn barrel and/or damaged crown.

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of sight work its hard to justify the cost of a sight tool. Go shoot the gun at a couple of measured, known distances (say 7 and 15 yds), preferably from a rest, at two different paper targets (one for each distance) with some sort of bulls eye center. Take those targets to the smith who installed the sights and have him make the corrections in windage at least. Or, if you're confident enough, drift (move) them yourself at little at a time. With new sights I carry a small plastic punch, hammer, short section of 2X4 and rag. I disassemble the slide lay it on the rag on the 2X4 and tap the rear sight in the appropriate direction. If the gun is shooting right move the rear sight to the left. In other words in the direction you want the bullet to go. Retest and repeat as necessary.

Shooting high means the front site is too short. If this continues to be a problem and if your sights are Meps, Mep makes different heights of front sights. However, before doing that you should tell us the sight picture you're holding. Are all three dots lined up? The front sight dot should not be resting on top of the rear sight blades, but lined up with the rear sight dots. What is your point of aim on the bulls eye? At the bottom of the bulls eye (target shooting hold) or do you cover the bulls eye with the front sight (combat hold)?

Where did you get the sights? If they are new Meps then they should be matched and therfore shooting high should not be occuring. However, it has been known to happen before.

BTW are you left handed? If so and you're shooting right then that is an indication of an improper trigger pull.