Glock Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is thinking of selling his Glock 21sf. I have a mod. 36 but I have always liked the 21sf. If any of you have the 21sf please let me know how you like it and if it has been reliable.
Thanks for any info.

· Registered
4,767 Posts
My 21SF is my favorite gun these days. It is very accurate and feels good in my hand.
I have the ambi release which is not the most popular feature on Glocks, but I haven't had any problem with mine. You will like the 21 SF if you like the 36, it is actually easier on the recoil because of the full size grip and frame.

· Registered
38 Posts
I like both also. I do not have any issues with the ambi mag release either. Some folks do not like the ambi and it's center locking pad on the mag.
The recoil is more comfortable.
I really wanted something accurate for the range and I am very happy with the potential the 21sf has.
I found a few comments on the net and from the local armorer that the 21 is generally accurate. So I tried a few factory loads and was amazed that hanheld from a bench I got 25 yd (not feet) groups with Federal Classic HP that were 2" with the flyers and had strings of 3 and 4 shots touching at about 1" :wow:

I really like the SF frame size and smooth trigger face also.

As for reliability it has been good overall, but I did find a few WWBox on break in that did not go fully into the chamber. This may have been me being too thin on the lube on a new pistol that day and I did not have any issues with the Fed HP at all. With more lube and 20 more rounds it seemed to improve with the WWB too but a couple of them seemed to have a rough edge on the case mouth. The SF seems to have a recoil spring that is a bit on the light side by design. I checked back with the dealer and found that mine was returning to battery a bit better than a new unfired one if you allowed the slide to go home slowly by hand. So some lube and a little cycling seem to be helping, but that is not unusual with any semiauto IMHO. After about 75 rounds no issues and the mags hold 13 and it would empty them in rapid fire. The brass comes out ok too on mine and are not deformed if you were wondering about reloading.
Bottom line for me is - I really like it.

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I bought the 21 SF from my friend last Sunday. Now I have to waite the 10 period since I live in CA. I am looking forward to the first day on the range. This gun has a steel recoil spring guide assembly along with the factory part also. What advantage does the steel spring guide give you?
Thanks again for all of you input.

· Registered
919 Posts
Well I bought the 21 SF from my friend last Sunday. Now I have to waite the 10 period since I live in CA. I am looking forward to the first day on the range. This gun has a steel recoil spring guide assembly along with the factory part also. What advantage does the steel spring guide give you?
Thanks again for all of you input.
Congratulations in you 21SF. The steel guide rod replaces the factory plastic one and improve the cycling by allowing less torque on the part and makes more durable, the plastic guide rods can chip, crack or break resulting in feeding or ejection failures and guide rod flex can contribute to accuracy problems. I saw a youtube video(4:08 mark) a torture test with a 1,000 rounds, about the last 100 rounds or so the plastic rod melted and spring out the Glock, the pistol continue to shoot without the guide rod and only with the spring.

· Registered
4,767 Posts
Would you care to elaborate?
I can. I've shot a stock 23 and a highly customized 23 at the same time. Took turns shooting a mag in each. Other than a better trigger on the one, I could not tell the difference. If it were not for the slightly lighter trigger pull on the one with all customized parts in it, I really didn't see much difference in how they shot or felt. So I say that a stainless guide rod is probably more dependable as far as not breaking or chipping or whatever, but it doesn't do much for how the gun shoots or feels.

· Registered
919 Posts
Jim S,

Thank you for taking the time and answering on behalf of jmb79, it is understandable that they may not be functionality difference (in the short run), but there is a reliability difference, as you indicated. Therefore, there are advantages in having stronger parts at the long run.

By jmb79 indicating none, does not constitute a very good assessment other that he/she wanted to say something but really did not mean anything and no contribution was provided base on experience. By having more plastic parts on a firearm will reduce the cost of manufacturing and weigh of it, not to the functionality of it, the key here again is the reliability of the part in question, which again steel it is stronger than plastic.

· Registered
79 Posts
To the OP: I will be interested in your subjective appraisal here after you wring out the 21sf compared to how you shot the 36. I have a 36, and after picking up a 19 (austrian proof stamp, not that it matters) I kinda feel I have two very similar sized Glocks. I am not LE and I live in cal so CCW issues do not apply to me. I have never felt the recoil of the 36 excessive but hear the 21 is even lighter (makes sense, more mass).

I guess I fell in love with the grip shape of the 19 so much that the 36 sees less time out of the safe now, but I am a fan of .45 so maybe time to step up to a full size. (???) The 21 seemed too deep in my hand but the 21sf is nice indeed. Again since I am in cal there is only the one model of sf I can get (thank you DOJ... ;^( ) so ambi and picatinny are also not concerns.

Thanks

-M.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
...since I am in cal there is only the one model of sf I can get (thank you DOJ... ;^( ) so ambi and picatinny are also not concerns.
Actually, that may be to your benefit. I looked at both the ambi/rail 21SF and what someone called the California model (standard safety and Glock rail). I much preferred the latter and bought one. Lot's of posts about the ambi safety being a problem and the rail mostly makes it harder to find a holster.

YMMV,
Dave

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got to the range today with the 21SF. I shot FMJ, Fed. Hydra-shock, HST and Winchester +P HP. All ammo functioned perfectly. The FMJ shot a few inches to the right. All of the HP ammo shot at point of aim and was very accurate. I was able to keep the HP ammo inside the 10 ring on a
B-27 target. All shots were from the 15 yd. line. The recoil was lighter than I expected. Similar to my 36 but with more grip area it was very sweet.
I used the steel recoil spring guide assembly which may be the reason the recoil was so light. I wish I had taken the Glock recoil spring assembly so I could see if there was a difference. That will come next time.
Thanks for all of your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.