close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 recoil spring rubbing barrel

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bradley_Hummer, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Bradley_Hummer

Bradley_Hummer

I recently bought a used Glock 21 in excellent condition, and immediately replaced most of the inner workings (with factory stock parts) in the slide and receiver because. . .well. . .because I enjoy working on my guns and for no other reason. Among other things I replaced the recoil spring assembly with a new factory part. The replacement part had "5600" stamped on the end of it (if my eyes serve me), just like the part which was replaced. I racked the slide and heard a metal-on-metal screeching sound which continued for three or four more times. I removed the slide and noticed a very faint line on the under side of the barrel where the new recoil spring rubbed against it. I rotated the assembly and tried again. Same noise. I put the original part back in and noticed no such noise. I put a second new replacement part in and noticed that it made the same sound as the first new replacement. I called Glock in Smyrna and was told, essentially, that it was the nature of the beast and that I'd have to live with it. I'm disappointed with that answer, so I ask if any of you have experienced such a problem, and is it true that I have to "live with it?" (I have the original recoil spring back in the slide, and it's functioning perfectly, so I have time to ask around before I try to replace that part again. As I said, there was no real reason to replace the parts except that I enjoy working on my handguns.)

2. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Screeching is very common with new springs. It means there's a bird or a woman nearby.

Just kidding. It is common, put a bit of oil on the rod.

3. Forge

Forge

My last two Glocks that I purchased did that and left a scratch along the bottom length of the barrel. There was also "glitter" from the springs along the base of the barrel close to the lugs.

:shocked: