close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 Questions...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by illuminate100, Aug 14, 2002.

1. illuminate100

illuminate100 CTR

I'm new...I recently purchased a Glock 21 and have so many questions. I already posted my questions regarding which loads to use in the Caliber forum, but now I want to ask those of you who own and have modified your 21's to let me know what I will want to do with my 21 down the road. It has fixed sights, and other than that I have two 10 rd. mags for it.

Are their any modifications that are highly recommended to make it a better pistol? I am ok to let it be for a while and still trust my life on it? I purchased it with the goal of making it a home defense weapon...and also to carry while traveling, etc. I am also going to get a conceled carry permit (here in my county it's easier than in most places in CA).

Any help would be appreciated.

-Dan

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Your G21 is just fine right out of the box. All Glocks are fine just right out of the box. Buy 500 rounds of practice ammo and go out and have some fun with it.

3. steelerfan

steelerfan Country Roads..

The only modification I feel is necessary is the addition of night sights.

It's the only mod I automatically make on my Glocks.

4. pasonbill

pasonbill Deceased

A couple more magazines?

Also if you modify one of the butt plugs,
    you can stash an extra round in the handle.

5. Glock21Owner

Glock21Owner NRA Life Member

I made a few mods like extended slide release (excellent addition) and an extended mag release (like it a lot). Also put on some red front/rear green night sights, a Glockmeister competition trigger assembly and a Hogue sleeve grip. With seven high caps (two of which are "non drop free" which actually drop just fine) I'm good to go.

6. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

I think the guys pegged it pretty good already. First resist the temptation to purchase a lot of accessories straight away. Put a good thousand rounds through it first so that you can get acquaited. My G30 came with night sights which I feel are important for home defense and carry. Then I bought extra magazines. I also got an extended slide release because I bent the spring on the stock piece and my local gun shop had the extended version in stock. I like the new piece better too. I also bought a LaserMax which was pretty much a waste of money.

If you start to CCW you may be looking for a smaller pistol fwiw.

7. illuminate100

illuminate100 CTR

Wow...I'm really impressed with this forum. Seems like everyone who participates is not only knowledgable, but mature.

I went to a few other sites for info and not only were the people stupid, they were immature.

Thanks for all the info. I think I will simply put a thousand rounds or so through it, and then think about the basics first, such as the extended slide release and mag release. After that I might think about the trigger.

I live in CA so the high cap. thing is a bit of a challenge, but I have LE friends who will be willing to help.

What is a butt plug? I was under the impression...well, never mind. Anyway, if someone could shed some light on this and why I would need a round in the handle, I would appreciate it.

-D.

8. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

As Danny says, just shoot it. After a thousand rounds, you will know what you like or don't like about it.

9. dgg9

dgg9

Well....stick around a while.

10. steelerfan

steelerfan Country Roads..

The plug (butt-plug, as we tend to call it) is a plastic piece that fits in the empty cavity of the grip behind the mag well. Some folks buy it because they think their pistol looks 'finished' with the plug installed. I don't fool with them because I don't see the point, but to each his own. I don't really see the point of keeping an extra round in that cavity, but, once again, to each his own.

Ditto, dgg9. Although the Big Dawgs club doesn't really get childish like some of the stuff in General Non-Glocking.

Welcome to the party, Dan.

11. stubby

stubby

You can choose to add some modifications. But you will need to get rid of those POS Glock sights.
    Stubby

12. Short Cut

Here's a butt plug. It's not as nasty as it sounds. ;p I don't have one because I don't think it is necessary but it's pretty inexpensive and pretty popular too.

clic pic
    [​IMG]

13. illuminate100

illuminate100 CTR

Cool...thanks for the visual. How much do those usually run for?

14. Short Cut

The photo is a link to the retailer just click on the photo.

15. illuminate100

illuminate100 CTR

I didn't see the "clic pic" thing before, thanks.

16. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

I have had my 21 for years. I have only now polished the internals and changed out the connecter with a 3.5. Now it the trigger is soft as butter. For a novice, shoot it for a while. learn everything you can. But, find standard cap mags. Email me if you want my source for like new mags. The last batch still had sticker glue on them.

17. illuminate100

illuminate100 CTR

Why are standard cap. mags better????

18. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

They have more than 10 rounds

19. g21glock

g21glock Millennium Member

I think you will really enjoy your new 21. I carry a 21 IWB in a Milt Sparks VMII seven days a week, works great.
    My advice to you is after you have put some lead down range with practice ammo and are comfortable with your new GLock, start practicing with the ammo you intend to carry. That gets costly,but the premium carry ammo tends to shoot differently especially with the +p variants and if your going to carry a Trton or Corbon etc. you need to be proficient using it and not being surprised by a noticably different recoil.

Safe shooting

20. Guest

Mine (Glock 21)is bone stock, and I love it!!! Just shoot it!!! For home defense, try remington Golden Saber 230 grain HP's...