Glock 21 Problems

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by OfficerIan, Jan 19, 2003.

1. OfficerIan

OfficerIan

Evening all,

In December 2002, I purchased a new model 21 (.45 cal) pistol.

I purchased this weapon with the intention of making it my primary duty carry. Before throwing it into the holster I decided to take it to the range and play a bit. In the first 200 rounds, I have had over 10 malfunctions. I am now, needless to say, terrified to carry it on the street.

Here are the symptoms:

When using the civilian capacity (10 round) magazines, I max them out at 10. I load the magazine and drop the slide. I press check to insure there is a round in the chamber. I fire anywhere from 1-3 rounds and then get a, "click." I, "tap and rack" the round and fire. Sometime I can get through the rest of the magazine without a problem, but about 40% of the time the same thing happens again, sometimes on the very next round and sometimes a couple/few rounds later.

At first I assumed that it was bad ammo. So I tried 3 different types of factory JHP's and had the same problem with each. After tapping and racking, I pick up the ejected round and look at them. There is a clear strike mark in the primer. Just for the heck of it I reloaded some of the rounds that had strike marks and fired them. They all fired without any trouble. I then picked up the empty brass (fired twice) and looked at them. They all have a clearly visible second strike in the primer. The second strike is not in the same place as the first (not sure if that is important or not).

I have noticed that I have never had this problem when I don't fill the magazines to max capacity. I have since marked my magazines with a 1 and 2 and will try to see if it matters which mag I am using.

I consider myself a competent glock shooter. I carried the model 22 for years as my primary with not a single malfunction. I am just spooked now about carrying my new model 21. Please tell me that this is something easily addressed and fixed. Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

OfficerIan

2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Well, first off, get some hicaps with your department letterhead. The G21 10 rounders are a pain in the but. I only load them to 9.

3. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

OfficerIan, When you say "new" do you mean brand new or just new to you? If it is brand new I say why in the world would you trust your life to a gun that has only had 200rds through it? I would think you would want to fire it at least 1000rds or more especially as a LE. Break the gun in, break you into the gun. If the gun is used, I suggest you check the striker channel for gunk in it. If the gun is leaving a striker mark on the ammo, the only thing it can be is not enough power behind the striker driving it into the round. The gun is functioning correctly. If it gets to the point where the round is getting a striker mark, it is working. If it is brand new & is not firing hard enough to break the primer, perhaps it has a bad spring in the striker channel or maybe some gunk. Something just doesn't add up here. You need to see an armorer that knows about Glocks. Good luck & be safe out there. MLM

4. ammoboy2

ammoboy2 Millennium Member

OfficerIan

As I read your description the G21 you are having problems with is always chambering a round, it is just experiencing random light primer strikes.

If I have interpreted correctly, I would suggest the problem is a weak recoil spring assembly. The 10 rounders put alot of drag on the slide which may contribute to your problem. There is a test for weak spring function which you should try. Also there are other lower priority possible explainations see this location for others:

http://www.topglock.com/info/trouble.htm

The spring test is to slowly ease the slide forward in a horizontal direction without cartridge or magazine and see that the slide fully locks without assistance. There maybe others I am not aware. Good luck.

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Sounds like it's not going completely into battery, the off center primer strikes are an indicator. That can be from a weak recoil spring as mentioned, the tight magazine (10 round load) or your thumb. The first one is unlikely if it's a new pistol, the second wouldn't account for the additional problems in a complete mag. Since you're very experienced with your 22 it's possible the slight additional width of the 21 has your thumb touching the slide occationally.

6. OfficerIan

OfficerIan

Thanks for the help so far. In response to one question, yes the weapon is brand new, factory, out of the box.

I will be getting the hi caps to try out, but am worried that this was not a magazine issue. I have placed a call to Glock and am waiting for a reply from them. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks,

OfficerIan

7. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Did you clean and lubricate the new G21 prior to firing? If so, were you careful not to get any oil or solvent in the striker channel?

Is your thumb riding the slide?? I'd say that the recoil spring might be suspect, but since it's new, I'd probably rule that out.