Glock 21 Glock 21 Problems? And also users?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by LouisianaGunSlinger, Nov 12, 2019.

1. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

We just recently started authorizing G21's for uniform and G21's or G30/30SF/30S for plain clothed deputies.

Unfortunately we haven't been carrying them long enough to really give a recommendation.

But, in our limited time with them, no problems. And with my personally owned G21 that I've been having for about 12 or so years, I've never had a problem either.

glock1097 likes this.
  2. LouisianaGunSlinger

LouisianaGunSlinger

He said:
    and also:

3. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Interesting. While I respect him, I call BS and wholeheartedly disagree with Mr Vickers when it comes to these models, regardless of his rep or resume. And regarding the 17 and 19, he clearly got sucked in enough to put his name on those models with the RTF2 Vickers Tactical models they started releasing a few years back.

And all these ppl talk about how .357 and .40 “wear guns out” and cause “breakages?” No doubt the .357 and .40 are higher pressure cartridges, and will technically put more wear on a gun than the 9mm, .45ACP- I’ve never seen any of these “worn out” Glocks they talk about. An example of how the internet amplifies small, or non-existent problems.

tuica, LS357, glock1097 and 3 others like this.
  4. David Frost

David Frost

My experience as a police firearms instructor when the G21 first became available was that the officers' scores improved greatly over those when shooting the DA/SA S&W 4500 series we were issuing. We had no failures of any kind.

5. Fla Trooper 265

Fla Trooper 265

I have put over 5000 rounds through my 21sf Not a single malfunction. I like it so much I bought a Gen 4 21 just in case it ever goes down. Would never be without a Glock 21.

MSP Sarge, JBL13, Deputydave and 2 others like this.
  6. Z71bill

Z71bill

I did not know that many PD used the G21 -

Not sure why that would matter to anyone.

The GEN4 G21 was my favorite 45 ACP until I bought a CZ97b

I still have the G21 with a streamlight as my bump in the night handgun - 230 grain HST for the win!

I have never had a jam - but have had weak spent case ejection -

I replaced the ejector spring and that seems to have helped -

But I will guess weak range ammo is also a factor.

tuica and FullClip like this.
  7. Dave T

Dave T

"The Glock 21 is a dog - always has been. It has the rep of being the worst gun Glock makes. I have a Glock 17 and 19 and like them for what they are - but don't get sucked into the Glock hype - they are not magical guns. Remember what your dad said when you were in 3rd grade; don't believe everything you read."

So we're not supposed to believe everything we read? Consider all the positive comments in this thread and compare them to the above. The G21 does NOT have the reputation of being the "worst gun Glock makes." Quite the contrary. So perhaps, when it comes to Mr. Vickers, we should indeed not believe everything we read.

Dave

8. pjanthony

pjanthony

The Glock 21 is the easiest firing and most accurate Glock I’ve ever owned. It’s a brawny work horse like a F250 short bed.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  9. jr24

jr24

One sits on my night stand.

If that helps

10. UncleDave

UncleDave

I agree. Even it's cousin, the G20, tames the mighty 10mm quite well. I had Gen4 versions of both and was an idiot to let them go.

It seems a lot of departments around here are sticking with .45 despite what the FBI says. My friend's father was armorer for a local town PD back in the late 80's-early 90's. He outfitted the department with the S&W 4506 which they used for many years. I recently ran into a current officer from that PD at my LGS, and she said they switched to the G21SF back in the mid 2000's. Many of their original issues are still running. Hardly sounds like the worst gun Glock ever made.

tuica, pjanthony and glock1097 like this.
  11. Fla Trooper 265

Fla Trooper 265

I really don't know who Mr Vickers is. But he is dead wrong about the Glock 21 being a dog. While my Department went with the Glock 37 which I like. I could have easily lived with the 21 had they chose it.

12. jr24

jr24

Frankly, if they fit your hands, the 21 is one of the best Glocks IMO.

13. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I have never heard of any problems with the G-21.
    I competed with one for over six years and never had a problem. With thousands of rounds down range.
    When I was working for the Cullman County Sheriffs Dept. they carried the G-21 and I never heard of any problems.
    Now I live in Florida, on The Treasure Coast.
    Indian River County SO carries G-21
    St Lucie County SO, carries G-21
    Martin County SO Carries G-21
    Along with Vero Beach PD
    Ft Pierce PD
    Port St Lucie PD
    Stuart PD
    All Carry the G-21 With No Problems.
    I am sure that other Depts. in the area carry G-21s also.

14. Dave T

Dave T

I've never heard of, let alone seen a F250 short bed. Now that would be an interesting truck!

Dave

pjanthony likes this.
  15. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

As do I. Loaded to the gills with 230-gr Remington Golden Sabers. Been my nightstand gun for years.

FullClip and glock1097 like this.
  16. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Not a Glock fan but even I admit the 21 is a solid pistol you should have no reservations about relying on.

As far as this or that organization using it, who cares. Too much gets made about that sort of thing and those decisions are driven by all kids of factors that have nothing to do with the merits of the pistol itself.

Personally, if I were to buy a Glock it would be the 21 or probably the 41. But I have an FNX-45 I’m very happy with right now, so no need.

17. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

18. BrthrB

BrthrB

I have been carrying a Gen 3 Glock 21sf for about ten years as my primary duty handgun. I've thought about switching many times but never could find a valid reason to switch!

Along with my G-30s and G-30 I've had zero issues with any of them.

19. Sig M11

Sig M11

The FBI authorized Special Agents to carry POW Glock 21s for years and there were a few Field Office SWAT teams that were issued them instead of the Springfield Professional 1911.

I don't think they have been Purged, but you can't get them as a new POW anymore.

I took the Beast to the range this afternoon. I lost the insert for my front night sight, but other than that...worked fine. (As usual.)

For 12 years, this was my primary carry. I transitioned to the G19M a couple of years ago and have not shot this one much of late. It needs a little work. Maybe a visit to GA for some new springs...and apparently night sights.
    upload_2019-11-17_15-51-53.png

Still one of the easiest shooting 45s...