close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 21 problem!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Joshua2004, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Joshua2004

Joshua2004

I purchased this gun back in June of 2003. Everythings been going great up until this last weekend. I have 400 rounds through the gun to date and this weekend I decided to try out fiocchi ammunition. Two separate rounds at separate times failed to fire. The firing pin just went click. I pulled out the round, strike was in the center but very light. I just reinserted it and fired it but I just need to know if this is a very common problem??? Probably just a hard primer. It happened to me back in 1992 on an ancient glock 21 also so I was just wondering if it's happened to anyone else. Need input!!!!!!!!!! I already stripped the slide and checked everything so I know it's still going strong.

2. Guest

Clean the striker channel & associated parts, don't just check it. Make sure it is dry when you put it back together, too.

Steve

3. Joshua2004

Joshua2004

I forgot to mention that, I did clean it. Any other info...

4. Guest

Had that problem shooting reloads made with Winchester primers, but not with any factory ammo, as I recall.

Might put in a new striker spring, see if that helps. Or stay away from that brand of ammo ;f

Steve

5. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Brief description of your striker channel cleaning methodology?

6. Joshua2004

Joshua2004

you want it brief, eh? Sprayed full of brake cleaner, swabbed it out with q-tips, wiped off all of the parts with a cloth. Made sure it was dry before everything went back in. Besides the fact there was poisonous carbon cleaner on it, you could eat off of it.

7. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Could very well be improper primer seating(not seated deep enough).I've been useing winchester gold primers (that some have complained about)for about 4-5years now in glock 9's & 45's with no problems,and i've shot fiocchi in both also problem free.The light hits you discribe sound like possible light seated primers.

8. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Best thing to do is shoot some different ammo and see if the problem goes away before you get too involved. I personally wouldn't even consider the striker spring or the striker itself (other than a visual inspection) until the ammo situation is verified.--JJ

9. WalterGA

That's about the same as my routine! Works for me. I stopped using Q-tips, as it seemed to me that pushing crud to the back of the striker channel would be likely. Don't know how you'd retract the crud with a Q-tip.

I'm betting it's the ammo!

10. tomc5179

tomc5179 Big Dawg #1361

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I would bet it is a stray (bad) primer or otherwise ammo. Just make sure that the channel is dry (or LIGHTLY lubed) and that your firing pin appears in decent shape. I bought a first generation 21 brand spanking new and it has failed to fire three times, I think. I don't know how many thousands of rounds have been through it. The rounds that it failed on were oddball ammo.

11. WalterGA

The striker channel should be clean and dry....PERIOD!!!

12. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

I had the same problem with Winchester and S&B primers.
    Only a stroner spring (the red one) could fix it

13. fl83

fl83

my former g21 did this has well on winchester win cleans but only once. its probably the ammunition would be my guess. have you had a glock armeror check it out yet?

14. WalterGA

Anything the average Glock armorer could do, a novice could learn to do in 20 minutes, assuming an I.Q. greater than that of an unborn rhinoceros. ;)

15. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Factory ammo primers are seated with automated machinery which i have had the priviledge of observing more than once,these machines have to be constantly monitered for ajustment,which means there may be a persentage of primers that don't get the seating care that a reloader can do by feel by hand.
    My 21 functions 100% with ammo i reload with winchester primers.